User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by curiousel View Post
    so should I go ahead for it?
    In my opinion? Not unless you need it for medical reasons or in order to function in society -- i.e. I agree with @prplchknz. And since you're asking, I'm going to presume you don't need it; if you were disfigured from a disease or an accident or something, you wouldn't be asking on a forum, you'd be out getting the surgery you needed.

To put it in friendlier terms: Everyone can look good with the facial features they have. Ugliness is so much more to do with personality -- and with personal grooming and hygeine! -- than with something that could be fixed with plastic surgery.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

It just dawned on me that I should point out that plasctic surgery is not synonymous with cosmetic surgery. For instance, mom's optometrist says she will probably need to get plastic surgery on her eyelids eventually because they're getting so droopy they're starting to interfere with her vision.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ARGH
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

IMO, I think cosmetic surgery is fake and like a mask, but if someone wanted to do it, I wouldn't mind.

Edit: Cosmetic surgery for non-medical reasons, I mean.
    Life is like a bowl of cherries, in that neither is a box of chocolates.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ZzZzZzZz

MBTI: IXXX | Enneagram: XwX

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm all for personal freedom, and obviously if someone wants to do anything that would significantly increase their quality of life in the long term, they should do it.

That being said, here's a Daniel Tosh quote: "I'm all for women who get plastic surgery, because plastic surgery allows you to make your outer appearance resemble your inner appearance — fake".

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think it's one of those things that often people start out being incredibly moral about but with age become more lax over said moralistic views. My mother for example is now seventy and whilst she did not used to consider it a worthy idea, she now would welcome it, out of vanity.
    On the other hand I have a (massively esfp) friend who has had a boob job, she also has botox and several other minor procedures, she has absolutely zero qualms about it and infact is always recommending it as a remedy to people's physical imperfections.
    At the moment i still stand pretty firm on the "natural is best" side of things but there are things i would change with my magic wand if i could.
    I have a silly things about my knees, they are flat... i am told this is quite ridiculous, but i would like them to have more nobble.
    Imo no-one is perfect, i like the little imperfections people have to distinguish them and to remind me that everyone is an individual. How boring the world would be if everyone looked the same.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Unless the person has been disfigured in someway or developed unnaturally, I don't see the point personally.
    I know someone right now who is feeding his wife's self esteem issues to the point of wanting surgery done when there is nothing physically wrong with her and she is infact attractive, you'd probably give her a 7 or 8.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    It just dawned on me that I should point out that plasctic surgery is not synonymous with cosmetic surgery. For instance, mom's optometrist says she will probably need to get plastic surgery on her eyelids eventually because they're getting so droopy they're starting to interfere with her vision.

Oh yes, quite definately. Also burns victims often need plastic surgery...and breast cancer patients who have had mastectomies frequently have breast implant/s post mastectomy. There are lots of medical reasons... there is a relatively new idea that botox can help with chronic migrane sufferers too.
    Yah... i think the idea of this thread is more to do with the cosmetic side of things... but that can also be a bit blurry.
    For example it is considered "cosmetic" to have false teeth/tooth implants for any teeth missing which are not in the first front four upper or lower (uk nhs definition). I doubt most people would consider that cosmetic in the same sense though.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think for medical reasons/disfigurement/etc, it's a blessing.

I think for reasons involving fixing 'physical imperfections', everyone jumping on the botox/cosmetic surgery bandwagon merely exacerbates everyones' belief in physical imperfections, or even the process of Aging itself, being somehow 'wrong', and it cements into the mind of most the element of judging those for said imperfections - that those people are somehow wanting.

I *understand* the urge to try to make oneself more objectively 'beautiful', but over time the shift in everyones' expectations around appearance will be the result - such that cosmetic surgery may be more of a requirement, and those who don't get it may stick out more and be judged as a result..which I find sad.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^Nice.

I think also that movies, media, and, actually......facebook.....are promulgating this need to be beautiful or bust.

The thing is, that pictures/film/stage personas are not the sort of reality that we humans can live in all the time, nor not how we look irl. (think of a pic of a movie star without makeup, or how an actress/actor looks in their stage make-up up close)--it's just not REAL. Yet that is the bar we are setting for ourselves now. People tell me I'm attractive, but I take horrible pictures, and when I see the pictures I will then feel bad about myself. Pictures--the way that we do them--are becoming one of the most abused and narcissistic expressions of our collective lack of good-will, and, to me, represent a breakdown of our society because we are so focused on our facebook page that we care little about our neighbor's true well-being.

/rant
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm not a fan of plastic surgery.