User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: F---ing logics

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Default F---ing logics

F-ing logics... I mean feeling logics...

Why do we consider feelings to be not logic? Or is it?

Can feelings ever be logical?

Discuss.

MBTI
    INXP

I can't help but think of it in a science/faith, reductionism/holism, thinking/feeling, two sides of the same, slightly abstract, out of focus coin kind of way.

I'm in a pious mind-set, so I'll say that: the fact that they exist and wield such extraordinary power makes them correct and they are reliable in that they are so personally and socially perennial.

Not that I could ever understand such pointless things.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    OMNi

Well logic is suppose to be systematic reasoning that is unbiased by emotion.

However, many feelings are rational, so I guess it's complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would assume that feelings without definable source come across as random and thus illogical.

Feelings that result from a particular event or situation, predictable feelings, would come across as logical.

Feelings that leave you behaving in predictable/patterned ways would seem logical.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Feelings are logical but mostly correspond to people. Because we are people, we would have an infinite use of 'feeling' rational function -- especially introverted feeling, because you are always around as long as you are alive.

Feeling is rational and has to do with people. Thinking is rational and has to do with not-people.

Feeling can be 'illogical' but unless there is something seriously wrong with the person experiencing them, they are usually rational responses that can be justified by the situation. Both feelings and thoughts can cause people to behave irrationally, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INfj

thinking/feeling... why is thinking labelled logical? There can be illogical thinking as well.

Hap: Rational feelings... Dealing with people is logical? *scratches head*

Feelings that result from a particular event or situation, predictable feelings, would come across as logical.

Feelings that leave you behaving in predictable/patterned ways would seem logical.
    So feelings is logical when it's "conventional" acting in a manner that people normally should? And illogical when it's unpredictable?

What you're saying is feelings only "feels" logical.

MBTI
    INTP

I would argue that no feelings are ever illogical, because they always have some kind of basis. Something happens, you have an emotion. Deconvoluting the reason why you had that particular emotion might be very difficult, but the reason is always there.

The same goes with actions. Actions that appear illogical to someone else always have a basis that makes sense to the person performing the actions. Sometimes the actions may not be rational, but they may be logical.

Maybe I've got the wrong definition of "logical" in my head. Whatever. My definition makes sense to me. Actions that are not rational, but are logical, come about when the person acts either solely on feeling or solely on thinking, and are immature. For example, an INTP who neglects the Fe often makes decisions that are logical, but are not rational. Similarly, an ESFJ who neglects the Ti often makes decisions that are logical (in other words, congruent with their mindset and what they desire), but not rational.

MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I would argue that no feelings are ever illogical, because they always have some kind of basis. Something happens, you have an emotion. Deconvoluting the reason why you had that particular emotion might be very difficult, but the reason is always there.

The same goes with actions. Actions that appear illogical to someone else always have a basis that makes sense to the person performing the actions. Sometimes the actions may not be rational, but they may be logical.

Maybe I've got the wrong definition of "logical" in my head. Whatever. My definition makes sense to me. Actions that are not rational, but are logical, come about when the person acts either solely on feeling or solely on thinking, and are immature. For example, an INTP who neglects the Fe often makes decisions that are logical, but are not rational. Similarly, an ESFJ who neglects the Ti often makes decisions that are logical (in other words, congruent with their mindset and what they desire), but not rational.
    Funny... I would say feelings are never logical. You're right that rational is not the same as logical. Logics works by algorithms. You will always make the same decision using logics. With feelings? Decision varies based on whim. Hardly logical.

With that said, Fe and Fi are not logical. So feelers acting on feelings are always illogical.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Funny... I would say feelings are never logical. You're right that rational is not the same as logical. Logics works by algorithms. You will always make the same decision using logics. With feelings? Decision varies based on whim. Hardly logical.

With that said, Fe and Fi are not logical. So feelers acting on feelings are always illogical.
    But the whim is based on your emotions, which are based on your desires and your brain chemistry. Everything can be broken down into smaller and smaller pieces until you find the source of the decision, or the emotion, or whatever. There is always a reason, though it may not always be obvious. The only exception is random, thoughtless accidents.

MBTI
    INfj

I'm not saying feelings occurs without cause... I'm simply saying it's illogical.

Logic doesn't come from brain chemistry... Brain chemistry does allow a person to utilize logic though.