• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extrovert overloads

Lark

Do any of the people who are extroverts, although everyone else can offer advice too, have advice about extrovert overloads? When you're tempted to just behave towards others as though they are familiar instead of just acquaintences? Or wanting to leap ahead in familiarity or friendship beyond all the annoying gradualism of getting to know people? Or when you're tempted to dress in loud attention grabbing ways or do something similar?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an introvert I always find myself talking when all the extraverts finally decide to shut up, which is usually in situations where it is not socially apropriate to talk, which when you do talk enrages the extraverts. Extraverts must like talking when other extraverts are also talking. That is what gets them charged, and they overload when introverts say socially awkward things at awkward times.

G

garbage

Like [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], I prefer when we're not all talking above one another. I'll re-interrupt people who interrupt me so that I can finish my point, and I'll sometimes make it a game to see how long it takes someone to shut up once they've asked me a question.

I find that most anyone who is "on a roll" with speaking their train of thought would rather it not be interrupted with someone else's long train of thought (though asking for clarification is quite alright, in my book).

Do any of the people who are extroverts, although everyone else can offer advice too, have advice about extrovert overloads? When you're tempted to just behave towards others as though they are familiar instead of just acquaintences? Or wanting to leap ahead in familiarity or friendship beyond all the annoying gradualism of getting to know people?
If this is a good goal to have (which it is), and if I have any tips, I just constantly keep in the back of mind that the most respectful and meaningful conversations I have had are ones where both parties actually listen to one another. I can initiate conversation, for sure, but that doesn't necessarily lead to steamrolling over others.

Or when you're tempted to dress in loud attention grabbing ways or do something similar?
No advice on this. I tend to like attention, so long as I'm the one who dictates its terms. :devil:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an introvert I always find myself talking when all the extraverts finally decide to shut up, which is usually in situations where it is not socially apropriate to talk, which when you do talk enrages the extraverts. Extraverts must like talking when other extraverts are also talking. That is what gets them charged, and they overload when introverts say socially awkward things at awkward times.

this has more to do with Fe than extroverts. I am amused by people who talk at socially inappropriate times and often do myself.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thought from the title that it was about extroverts getting overloaded in social situations and from overall too much humanity, about which I would have a lot to say, as I'm often in that situation myself. I've never felt the need to extrovert more... I have a social job and get way more than enough socializing in at work... When I get off I am not social in the least :ninja:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do any of the people who are extroverts, although everyone else can offer advice too, have advice about extrovert overloads? When you're tempted to just behave towards others as though they are familiar instead of just acquaintences? Or wanting to leap ahead in familiarity or friendship beyond all the annoying gradualism of getting to know people? Or when you're tempted to dress in loud attention grabbing ways or do something similar?
I'm uncertain about what kind of advice you mean? :huh: Do you mean advice on how to avoid those things?
Thought from the title that it was about extroverts getting overloaded in social situations and from overall too much humanity, about which I would have a lot to say, as I'm often in that situation myself.
I thought this same thing -- and I am often the same way, especially when surrounded by other extroverts. (No better way to make me look like an awkward ISTJ, than put me in a big group of dramatic ExFPs!) Maybe this is why I have so many introvert friends :laugh:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I read this as Extrovert Overlords.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] :doh: I'm pretty awkward myself... I tend to be happiest standing off to the side and stepping in when needed, but otherwise just lurking and observing. I'm most likely to fix others' mistakes and move on... I have very little patience with a good deal of idle chit chat unless I'm with only one or two others... Groups are overwhelming and I don't speak loudly so I get drowned out easily :laugh:

A coworker described me last night as the most awkward person to succeed in this business :cheese:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read this as Extrovert Overlords.
:solidarity:
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] :doh: I'm pretty awkward myself... I tend to be happiest standing off to the side and stepping in when needed, but otherwise just lurking and observing. I'm most likely to fix others' mistakes and move on... I have very little patience with a good deal of idle chit chat unless I'm with only one or two others... Groups are overwhelming and I don't speak loudly so I get drowned out easily :laugh:

A coworker described me last night as the most awkward person to succeed in this business :cheese:
Huh! You really, really don't come across that way, in your posts or in your videos. Must be different at work/in real life? :shrug:

My awkwardness with dramatic extroverts might be from my inferior Fi... I see all that enthusiasm and craziness, and I start wondering how much of it is real, and then I have a hard time trusting them. :thelook: This is why I had no Drama Kid friends in high school! :laugh: