User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Graphology - What do you think?

I once studied graphology (handwriting analysis in particular) and I was just wondering, since graphology is a type of personality analysis, how credible you find it to be.

Personally, people become very interested when I tell them that I know some basics of handwriting analysis but they lose interest when I actually start to analyze the writing. I kind of blame this on the very general atmosphere that graphology creates. It seems that handwriting would be very specific but in truth, it doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint exact personality traits like the enneagram or MBTI would.

I would really love to hear others opinions on this topic!

Thanks!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my handwriting changes based on setting... whether I'm writing at home or at work... the slant, size and speed all change between those two locations... have to wonder, if there is a connection, if it's a situational thing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do believe its validity but I don't think it's based on personality. Only what people are feeling at the time. For instance, @whatever 's writing changes based on the environment, which is a good indicator of a circumstantial thing. I know for myself, I've tried writing while angry/depressed and it's definitely different from my normal handwriting lol.

Manipulating the vulnerable

Quote Originally Posted by nathdep View Post
    I once studied graphology (handwriting analysis in particular) and I was just wondering, since graphology is a type of personality analysis, how credible you find it to be.

Personally, people become very interested when I tell them that I know some basics of handwriting analysis but they lose interest when I actually start to analyze the writing. I kind of blame this on the very general atmosphere that graphology creates. It seems that handwriting would be very specific but in truth, it doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint exact personality traits like the enneagram or MBTI would.

I would really love to hear others opinions on this topic!

Thanks!
    We could establish the validity and reliability of graphology through random double blind experiments. But without such experiments I imagine graphology has the same validity and reliability as mbti or astrology or homeopathy.

And of course that is the whole point. Graphology and mbti and homeopathy are forms of emotional manipulation.

Graphology and mbti and homeopathy are not confirmed by evidence and reason. And so they can and are used to manipulate the vulnerable.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i saw one study that examined the correlations between hand writing and MBTI. i dont remember the exact results or where to find the study(might have it on computer, but i got too many to find it, as it was primarily about something else), one thing i do remember that J types tended to have use smaller letters(and kinda more organized way of placing the letters) than Ps, but if i remember correctly, it wasnt evident in all, but there was some correlation if looking at averages. there was another correlation with how much the letters lean on the direction of writing, but cant remember how it correlated to type.

when it comes to analyzing personality based on hand writing, our personality psychology professor talked about a bit and pretty much said that the general view on the field of psychology today is that its not seen as reliable way to measure personality(there has been attempts with it tho and some people firmly believe that it can offer some useful information about personality).

personally i think that maybe there was stronger correlation back in the days when hand writing was viewed differently than today, and because peoples attitude has changed to their hand writing(you dont get beated with a stick at school by your teacher if you dont write perfectly), you cant analyze it as much today. who knows
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for an example... over the past 2 years here's a couple of samples...

today

one year ago- work notebook

one year ago... chilling at home

two years ago

this could make a person wonder whether personality type is less static than some people on here advocate, whether it's relevant at all in a dynamic world or whether handwriting plays any role in illustrating it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

personally i think that maybe there was stronger correlation back in the days when hand writing was viewed differently than today, and because peoples attitude has changed to their hand writing(you dont get beated with a stick at school by your teacher if you dont write perfectly), you cant analyze it as much today. who knows
    I definitely agree. I am in high school and many of my friends who ask me to analyze their handwriting results in me giving it back to them and saying, "Do you write in cursive at all?" with them replying, "No. I hate cursive."

I read a book that states that because cursive is hard to produce, people give up on it. It is also interesting that I went to private school where they practically shoved cursive down my throat and I primarily use it to this day and the people who constantly write in print were taught in a public school setting where learning to write was definitely more lenient. I have also read that people who write in print even after many years of being taught cursive are those who tend to hide their personality from others.
    INFP and 6w7.

Proud American but French at heart.

garbage

I like when this topic surfaces. Welcome to the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain Hearts View Post
    I do believe its validity but I don't think it's based on personality. Only what people are feeling at the time. For instance, @whatever 's writing changes based on the environment, which is a good indicator of a circumstantial thing. I know for myself, I've tried writing while angry/depressed and it's definitely different from my normal handwriting lol.
    This is mostly my stance--though I could be persuaded otherwise. Looking at my journal, my writing is neater when I'm 'level'--when I'm depressed, manic, or anxious, it's a lot less clear.

I'd hypothesize that, if a person is more rigid and ordered either by personality or environment, he'd more naturally take pains to carve out neater handwriting; those that are careless or rushed--again, either by personality or by environment--may not. The pedants that I know tend to have very neat handwriting

@nathdep, care to share some graphology insights or *shock* analyze us based upon handwriting?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

feel free to use my most recent sample... it's scanned (though you can tell that I wrote on the back of a printed page ) so that it's easier to see accurately... I LOVE playing guinea pig

(which @Saturned could probably tell you )