• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing. And Typing

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I look back on a submitted post and I realize it doesn't do justice to what I meant.

Sometimes I look at my messages and so much I had to get across, didn't get through. And it feels like around half of the whole communication I intended.

We have the emoticons and can link vids and stuff but that doesn't convey the context of how one is saying anything.

Or sometimes it appears your words don't quite really get your message across enough.

Any Ideas? I know the ENTPs are going to come up with ideas.. :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm bad at this too but I think you can learn with practice. Maybe a blog or something.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
are you any better at conveying what you say in person? :huh:

Mole

Permabanned
Sometimes I look back on a submitted post and I realize it doesn't do justice to what I meant.

Sometimes I look at my messages and so much I had to get across, didn't get through. And it feels like around half of the whole communication I intended.

We have the emoticons and can link vids and stuff but that doesn't convey the context of how one is saying anything.

Or sometimes it appears your words don't quite really get your message across enough.

Any Ideas? I know the ENTPs are going to come up with ideas.. :)

Misreading. My idea is misreading. For most of our writing is misread. All we can do is go with the misreading even knowing that even this will be misread.

Of course the owls amongst us realise we also misread the text and swoop from one misreading to the next, like a big brown owl looking for a juicy mouse.

Permabanned
Have you tried the [Edit] button? Or the [Go Advanced ] where there is a preview, where you can proof-read before you commit. :thinking:

Other than that, perhaps take a :chillpill: and slow down your Ne so Ti can better synthesize ideas. :shrug:

[EDIT]Both top two suggestions work.

G

garbage

I often go back and edit my posts to make them more clear. That way, I'm not easily misread. ;)

I highly prioritize delivering a clear message, but I'm sure it confuses some people to see a slightly different post from me a few minutes later--especially when they've already quoted it.

This seems relevant, too! Language is but an imperfect translation of what we're thinking; it's difficult to put pen to paper and expect a one-to-one mapping with our thoughts out the back end.

That is all.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often go back and edit my posts to make them more clear. That way, I'm not easily misread. ;)

I read over mine on average 3 times before hitting post so that I can edit before it's posted and make sure that I have said exactly what I meant :laugh:

G

garbage

I read over mine on average 3 times before hitting post so that I can edit before it's posted and make sure that I have said exactly what I meant :laugh:
It is too late for me. My cursor is drawn to the Post button. I click.

I dunno.. I suppose I rush to get things done, especially when I have a safety net like "being able to edit my posts"; and it's easier for me to revise a finished product. Sometimes, I'll come up with ideas, wording changes, or other clarifications/additions later on (like this one)[/url]

edit: I did it again

I have the same problem with emails--Gmail's "Undo Send Mail" feature (which gives you 20 seconds to go back and revise your email) is a godsend.
--

As far as post content, I don't fare well with walls of text. My eyes just.. glaze over. I scan the whole shebang, looking for a point, and there often is none. The joke is on me, the reader.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is too late for me. My cursor is drawn to the Post button. I click.

I dunno.. I suppose I rush to get things done, especially when I have a safety net like "being able to edit my posts"; and it's easier for me to revise a finished product. I have the same problem with emails--Gmail's "Undo Send Mail" feature (which gives you 20 seconds to go back and revise your email) is a godsend.

--

As far as post content, I don't fare well with walls of text. My eyes just.. glaze over. I scan the whole shebang, looking for a point, and there often is none. The joke is on me, the reader.

I can't stand to hit "post" before I'm sure that I'm satisfied with what I've typed... and even then there's a 50/50 chance that I'll re-read it and edit it at least once :doh:

and I didn't KNOW that g-mail would let you edit... how completely and totally awesome! :holy:

I can only read walls of text if I wrote them, and I only write them when I really have something to say... they pretty much only appear in my blog :blush: otherwise, I lack the attention span required to read such things :ninja:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
As [MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] said, I often rush back to add more information to a post when I suddenly realise that it is insufficient for what I want to convey.

Then I mope in misery because I realise that ive just made a wall of a post and it still becomes misunderstood.

I then spend a nice century of time making more posts that do nothing but reiterate what is already not being understood.

Of course whether or not something is being misunderstood is also debatable in itself, afterall a person can understand your point but not agree with it as is the premise of most arguments.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
My method:

* Write a post and hit "Go Advanced"
* Browse other tabs
* Revise my post and hit send if satisfactory

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've decided to just live with it. *shrug*. There can always be differences in what you meant and how it's read; communication is like that. I think I'm quite skilled at conveying my thoughts in writing, but people sometimes still misunderstand me and there's often a lot of thoughts I don't get around to talking about at all (especially on something like a message board, where I often need to make myself focus on one or two things to say or I'll never get around to finishing my message). Sometimes you just have to put something out there. You can always elaborate or clarify later if appropriate.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Write the post.
2. Quick glance through this tiny edit box to find mistakes. I make more dumb mistakes typing on colemak.
3. Send post.
4. Re-read and find another mistake.
5. Edit and re-send post.
6. Re-read and find another mistake.
7. Edit and re-send post.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you tried the [Edit] button? Or the [Go Advanced ] where there is a preview, where you can proof-read before you commit. :thinking:

Other than that, perhaps take a :chillpill: and slow down your Ne so Ti can better synthesize ideas. :shrug:

[EDIT]Both top two suggestions work.

This helps.

wildflower

I highly prioritize delivering a clear message, but I'm sure it confuses some people to see a slightly different post from me a few minutes later--especially when they've already quoted it.

haha, i do the same thing racing to edit the post before someone hits reply.

I have the same problem with emails--Gmail's "Undo Send Mail" feature (which gives you 20 seconds to go back and revise your email) is a godsend.

i've never heard of this! it must have been invented for crazy lovestruck people who send "i love you" emails followed 5 minutes later by "i hate you" emails. this feature very kindly will prevent them from doing this: :horor:

yup, now i'm editing my post:

on a board i was on a few years back before it died i met several of the posters irl. they were always quite a bit different than i'd imagined them from their posts even with using emoticons. fortunately, they were almost all positive experiences. i have one really close friend from that board that i've been friends with for over 6 years and we've never met due to living in different countries. it is going to be mighty weird when we finally do meet. i have a feeling i'll probably have to revise quite a lot of my mental impression of him.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...i have one really close friend from that board that i've been friends with for over 6 years and we've never met due to living in different countries. it is going to be mighty weird when we finally do meet. i have a feeling i'll probably have to revise quite a lot of my mental impression of him.

I'd imagine that's right.