• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you view yourself?

do you see yourself as a who or a what?

• Total voters

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well... how DO you view yourself? :huh:

are you a product of what you do and accomplish?

do you see yourself through the eyes of others?

are you your place in society?

do you view yourself from the inside in a manner in which I can't describe? :doh:

are you a product of your past, or molded towards your future?

I really am kind of curious in how people see themselves... I've always viewed myself based on my skills, what I do and where I fit into the bigger picture of society... I've never really succeeded in seeing me as "whatever the person"... I really would love to hear some views from people who do see things both ways just to understand please :)

KDude

I can't answer these type of questions well. Probably why my blog sucks.

Right now, I guess, I view myself as a consumer.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see myself as whether or not I've been brave or skilled enough to live the life I want to be living. I view myself more in terms of "am I happy? do people love me?" than societal markers like career/family/house/etc.

I also tend to think about my sexual attractiveness maybe more than I should, like I think part of my self-esteem really does hinge on how desirable I am. I would be devastated, for example, if I was in a relationship where my partner loved me but no longer wanted to sleep with me. I would feel like I failed in some way.

But outside of that it's about my personal happiness and what I've been able to accomplish or overcome because of my tenacity, talents, and bravery. I really like when I feel like I've outsmarted people, for example, by being able to jump through loopholes and be free and not be trapped by "the system."

I also care about being smart/right....but more so in a practical, applicable sense (or in a passionate sense in tune with things I actually care about) more so than being an intellectual or coming across as the sort of person with multiple degrees, which is pretty meaningless to me. I want to be smart about real or important things.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can view myself from many angles but try to work on my inner self the most, how can I add to Heaven/goodness/well being/etc. How happy am I? How true to my nature? What personal qualities can I work on? (Trust is usually a big one, for instance- also selflessness). I'm not big on skills and accomplishments but would like to make an impact on the world somehow and would rather do so in a bigger way if possible.. So, I'd like to climb up the financial ladder so that my words and actions can be louder and make a bigger ripple in the water, not because of my income or skills. External achievement can actually be a burden for me but if I want to be a "better" person with a louder voice sometimes it requires resources outside of just my almighty "Self" that I seem to focus on so much.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm that guy that moves with a purpose, that everyone turns to see when he walks into a room, that makes people feel good and valued for who they are, that hustles till his shoulders ache with the strain. The guy who is barreling through life at 1000 mph, the incarnation of math that that replicates the rna of your soul making a better tommorow. A best friend and godfather, a mover, a shaker, a money maker. A comedian who lets life roll off his back. Who views himself unrealistically reminding him what he's meant for :D. A punk rock, millionaire, genius. A player, a family man, good luck trying to contain me. A thrill seeker adrenaline junkie. An explorer, risk taker, one of those people that everyone else in the room is watching. At peace with myself, holistic, bombastic, realistic. A. Zen like peaceful warrior surfing quantum probabalistic waves making them collapse into a beautiful reality

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose I've always viewed myself as a what as opposed to a who... what am I? where do I plan on going in life? how am I going to do that? how does my presence affect others? if I change x how does this affect others? what am I good at and how can I use that to cause change? :thinking:

the thought of viewing myself as a "who" is downright confusing to me... where does what end and who begin? :huh:

KDude

I'm that guy that moves with a purpose, that everyone turns to see when he walks into a room, that makes people feel good and valued for who they are, that hustles till his shoulders ache with the strain. The guy who is barreling through life at 1000 mph, the incarnation of math that that replicates the rna of your soul making a better tommorow. A best friend and godfather, a mover, a shaker, a money maker. A comedian who lets life roll off his back. Who views himself unrealistically reminding him what he's meant for :D. A punk rock, millionaire, genius. A player, a family man, good luck trying to contain me. A thrill seeker adrenaline junkie. An explorer, risk taker, one of those people that everyone else in the room is watching. At peace with myself, holistic, bombastic, realistic. A. Zen like peaceful warrior surfing quantum probabalistic waves making them collapse into a beautiful reality

I see myself as someone who was annoyed by this...

Until you mentioned the quantum waves. Good one!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am uncomfortable with all of this because I can't stand being put in any box. I like to do what I want to do (when it's possible) and what I do is going to depend on how I feel. I never can those answer "what's your favorite...?" questions because of this. I get this sudden uncomfortable feeling like I'm being put in a box and usually I don't have an answer anyway because I typically like more than one thing. There are a few things about me that never change and I like these things the way they are but I'm probably most comfortable in atmospheres and around people that are similar to me in that respect.

Wait... I don't think I answered the question. :huh:

My answer is: I have no idea. It changes too much. :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am a what, who is stuck in the past not wanting to move forward no matter how much i'm pushed. I'm childish I'm the person other's take care of I doubt my own abilities if I were told to everything on my own I'd starve drink myself to death and end up on the street most likely I just don't have motivation.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am uncomfortable with all of this because I can't stand being put in any box. I like to do what I want to do (when it's possible) and what I do is going to depend on how I feel. I never can those answer "what's your favorite...?" questions because of this. I get this sudden uncomfortable feeling like I'm being put in a box and usually I don't have an answer anyway because I typically like more than one thing. There are a few things about me that never change and I like these things the way they are but I'm probably most comfortable in atmospheres and around people that are similar to me in that respect.

Wait... I don't think I answered the question. :huh:

My answer is: I have no idea. It changes too much. :shrug:

One of my best friends who is intp feels the exact same way! (I think). It's frustrating because when I ask him about himself I think he feels like I am analyzing him/trying to put him in a box because this is how I /used to/ interact in the past. Really though, I just want to /connect/ with him. How could someone connect with /you/ without making you feel defined? Does the right intention have an effect on the way you feel?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What I do and accomplish is a product of who I am, a manifestation of my personal will and vision.

No, this is very hard for me, even when I make a conscious effort to do so. I really don't know how others see me, especially away from professional situations. At work, I have a reputation for not taking "no" for an answer, for shaping my environment to suit my purposes, and taking action while others are going around in circles second-guessing themselves.

No. I don't care about a place in society. I go along with society, to the extent that is going the same way I am.

Both. The past contributes to the practical toolkit that I employ in realizing the future I want.

do you view yourself from the inside in a manner in which I can't describe?

Probably. Continuing from the first question, who I am includes my past, meaning everything I have studied, learned, seen, heard, and experienced. It also includes my dreams, visions, and plans for the future. Connecting them is the present, the point of action. This often looks like a lens, collecting and focusing a broad array of visions, values, skills, and information onto a specific goal or problem. I can actually feel the energy flowing through my being sometimes. This is related to what is often described as a state of flow.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my best friends who is intp feels the exact same way! (I think). It's frustrating because when I ask him about himself I think he feels like I am analyzing him/trying to put him in a box because this is how I /used to/ interact in the past. Really though, I just want to /connect/ with him. How could someone connect with /you/ without making you feel defined? Does the right intention have an effect on the way you feel?

Yes, I do realize that it makes it hard to connect with me because of this. To be fair, I don't do this with people I already know well. The flood gates are open with them. I find it strange that he is a best friend and still acts that way. In that case, I think he may never open up. I only say this because I have a best friend like this too! We've been good friends for 10 years and she still won't open up to me like I do with her so I'm left to assume that it's a trust issue for her and I've just given up on trying. It's too frustrating and exhausting with little return. She acts this way with everyone though. Does your friend act that way with everyone?

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a "who" that asks "where."
dustspeck-771221.jpeg

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I see myself as more a product of that which I am capable, rather than what I actually do/accomplish.

I try, but I've never been confident that I'm very good at it. I suspect that others think both more and less of me than I think they do in various respects. Mostly less.

Not particularly. I guess that I consider my place in society as somewhat neutral, so there's not a lot to label me there -- except for perhaps my occupation. But I don't really see myself through that lens.

Well, being as I can't describe it myself, probably so :). I guess I don't really put a lot of emphasis on self-reflection in that way.

Some of both. When I was younger, I would have said almost all about the future. But now that I'm older, and there's more "past" to me, that's sort of balancing out. I can look back at events and situations in my past and see how they've made me into the person I am now -- there's a lot less ambiguity in my likely future than there was as a young person, so its effect is waning.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes but I would say it's not accomplish in the traditional sense. I view myself largely by the way I have impacted other people, both positive and negative. Have I helped others understand themselves? Have I inspired them? Have I clarified or revealed something that they did not realize? Can I help people break through whatever barriers limit them, physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually? Am I actively breaking through my own limitations? Because I put such weigh on these things I am extremely unforgiving of myself if I end up hurting or tearing down other people, which I have through egoism or emotional reactivity.

I see aspects of myself through the eyes of others and sometimes it is very helpful and sometimes I feel I am misunderstood.

No.

do you view yourself from the inside in a manner in which I can't describe? :doh:
I think that I understand my own potential better than others and verbalizing this is difficult.

I think that realistically every one will be shaped and molded by their experiences. I am more my future than my past, or atleast I prefer to think this way. I am also not entirely potential.. I feel that I must actualize these things, make them real, bring them into the external.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Yes, the more competence I achieve the more "complete" I feel. I endeavor to continually improve (especially within my discipline) and be of more use.

I have tried...but from what I am told I am not very good at this, positive or negative.

To some extent. I occupy a space as a custodian of objects and an artisan...whatever rung on the societal ladder that takes me to is coincidental. I see myself more as on a spectrum of craftsmen throughout time: I serve my trade and in turn (I hope) it serves me. The knowledge of the generations was passed on to me by excellent and generous teachers and I, in my turn would like to pass on what knowledge I have gathered to another who can carry it forward and improve upon it.

Yes, I look back at failures in every aspect of my life and work to be at least a little better "next time" in hopes of a more productive and happier future.

G

garbage

Well, then. Let's just answer this. :popc1:

well... how DO you view yourself?
A constant redefinition (in keeping with below). I don't understand fitting cleanly and settling--I figure that, if you do, it's something that ought to be corrected.

Not so much anymore, though that sentiment is there to a degree. The ideal is to be less "I did this out there in the world" and more "I did this out there in the world."

Maybe even "this was done out there in the world."

Constantly. It's hard to imagine not doing so. It's bewildering to me that some don't have that sort of awareness, though I admire that they don't allow others to stand in their way of what they want to do.

Among other things, for me, it's a way of keeping my actions in check. If I've got internal integrity and it's demonstrated on the outside as well--well, that's pretty thorough.

To the extent that my place will have an impact. :wink:

Screw the past. I've embraced it and integrated it but scarcely remember it. That just leaves one other direction.

I really am kind of curious in how people see themselves... I've always viewed myself based on my skills, what I do and where I fit into the bigger picture of society... I've never really succeeded in seeing me as "whatever the person"... I really would love to hear some views from people who do see things both ways just to understand please :)
Same.

I mean, replace "whatever" with "bologna."

I'm interested in how people view themselves as much as I'm interested in interacting with them. Intriguing. Quite. *smokes pipe*

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This would be really complex to describe in this thread. So many contexts, perspectives, levels, thoughts...I'm not sure I know where I'd start.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
oh man no, what i do and accomplish is a product of who i am.
i'm constantly doing new things by not only incorporating but also
entering entirely different disciplines.

i'm very aware of which facets of my personality
i'll show/exaggerate at work, at play, or at home.
work people are always surprised to see how i am
at home, my long time friends are shocked to see
how i am at work but not surprised i make people
cry all the time--i dunno. i'm just very compartmental.
always have a good idea of what's on exhibit.

i think society has already carved out a space for me
--but at the same time this is a cultural thing where
i'm from. there are certain expectations that go along
with it. while i don't agree with all of it, my childhood
rearing was very much align to it: the kind of education
i received, the social circle/bubble i was in growing up,
the jobs that started my career. i definitely tried to
go fit in/go along with it, when i was younger. but the
moment my world expanded, meeting so many other
people and perspectives, i started defining my own
place in society according to my own terms.
i'm still very aware of the froufrou that people tend
to see before they see how i play the social game?

both. i learn best from mistakes. i'm just not very good
at remembering the mistakes. but i'm very much
future oriented.

probably, because i can't even really describe it. there's always a constant
storm brewing in the horizon for me. i'm always part confused with equal parts of
certainty. but it's where i'm very comfortable. i think it'd be terrible if i wasn't
confused all the time, so of my best work is generated from confusion.