User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you see yourself as a who or a what?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who

15 62.50%
  • What

9 37.50%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

are you a product of what you do and accomplish?

What I do and accomplish is a product of who I am, a manifestation of my personal will and vision.

do you see yourself through the eyes of others?

No, this is very hard for me, even when I make a conscious effort to do so. I really don't know how others see me, especially away from professional situations. At work, I have a reputation for not taking "no" for an answer, for shaping my environment to suit my purposes, and taking action while others are going around in circles second-guessing themselves.

are you your place in society?

No. I don't care about a place in society. I go along with society, to the extent that is going the same way I am.

are you a product of your past, or molded towards your future?

Both. The past contributes to the practical toolkit that I employ in realizing the future I want.

do you view yourself from the inside in a manner in which I can't describe?

Probably. Continuing from the first question, who I am includes my past, meaning everything I have studied, learned, seen, heard, and experienced. It also includes my dreams, visions, and plans for the future. Connecting them is the present, the point of action. This often looks like a lens, collecting and focusing a broad array of visions, values, skills, and information onto a specific goal or problem. I can actually feel the energy flowing through my being sometimes. This is related to what is often described as a state of flow.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    One of my best friends who is intp feels the exact same way! (I think). It's frustrating because when I ask him about himself I think he feels like I am analyzing him/trying to put him in a box because this is how I /used to/ interact in the past. Really though, I just want to /connect/ with him. How could someone connect with /you/ without making you feel defined? Does the right intention have an effect on the way you feel?
    Yes, I do realize that it makes it hard to connect with me because of this. To be fair, I don't do this with people I already know well. The flood gates are open with them. I find it strange that he is a best friend and still acts that way. In that case, I think he may never open up. I only say this because I have a best friend like this too! We've been good friends for 10 years and she still won't open up to me like I do with her so I'm left to assume that it's a trust issue for her and I've just given up on trying. It's too frustrating and exhausting with little return. She acts this way with everyone though. Does your friend act that way with everyone?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm a "who" that asks "where."
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

MBTI
    INtP

I see myself as more a product of that which I am capable, rather than what I actually do/accomplish.

I try, but I've never been confident that I'm very good at it. I suspect that others think both more and less of me than I think they do in various respects. Mostly less.

Not particularly. I guess that I consider my place in society as somewhat neutral, so there's not a lot to label me there -- except for perhaps my occupation. But I don't really see myself through that lens.

Well, being as I can't describe it myself, probably so . I guess I don't really put a lot of emphasis on self-reflection in that way.

Some of both. When I was younger, I would have said almost all about the future. But now that I'm older, and there's more "past" to me, that's sort of balancing out. I can look back at events and situations in my past and see how they've made me into the person I am now -- there's a lot less ambiguity in my likely future than there was as a young person, so its effect is waning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Yes but I would say it's not accomplish in the traditional sense. I view myself largely by the way I have impacted other people, both positive and negative. Have I helped others understand themselves? Have I inspired them? Have I clarified or revealed something that they did not realize? Can I help people break through whatever barriers limit them, physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually? Am I actively breaking through my own limitations? Because I put such weigh on these things I am extremely unforgiving of myself if I end up hurting or tearing down other people, which I have through egoism or emotional reactivity.

I see aspects of myself through the eyes of others and sometimes it is very helpful and sometimes I feel I am misunderstood.

No.

I think that I understand my own potential better than others and verbalizing this is difficult.

I think that realistically every one will be shaped and molded by their experiences. I am more my future than my past, or atleast I prefer to think this way. I am also not entirely potential.. I feel that I must actualize these things, make them real, bring them into the external.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Yes, the more competence I achieve the more "complete" I feel. I endeavor to continually improve (especially within my discipline) and be of more use.

I have tried...but from what I am told I am not very good at this, positive or negative.

To some extent. I occupy a space as a custodian of objects and an artisan...whatever rung on the societal ladder that takes me to is coincidental. I see myself more as on a spectrum of craftsmen throughout time: I serve my trade and in turn (I hope) it serves me. The knowledge of the generations was passed on to me by excellent and generous teachers and I, in my turn would like to pass on what knowledge I have gathered to another who can carry it forward and improve upon it.

Yes, I look back at failures in every aspect of my life and work to be at least a little better "next time" in hopes of a more productive and happier future.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    I'm a "who" that asks "where."
    I'm a "who" that asks "why."

garbage

Well, then. Let's just answer this.

well... how DO you view yourself?
    A constant redefinition (in keeping with below). I don't understand fitting cleanly and settling--I figure that, if you do, it's something that ought to be corrected.

Not so much anymore, though that sentiment is there to a degree. The ideal is to be less "I did this out there in the world" and more "I did this out there in the world."

Maybe even "this was done out there in the world."

Constantly. It's hard to imagine not doing so. It's bewildering to me that some don't have that sort of awareness, though I admire that they don't allow others to stand in their way of what they want to do.

Among other things, for me, it's a way of keeping my actions in check. If I've got internal integrity and it's demonstrated on the outside as well--well, that's pretty thorough.

To the extent that my place will have an impact.

Screw the past. I've embraced it and integrated it but scarcely remember it. That just leaves one other direction.

I really am kind of curious in how people see themselves... I've always viewed myself based on my skills, what I do and where I fit into the bigger picture of society... I've never really succeeded in seeing me as "whatever the person"... I really would love to hear some views from people who do see things both ways just to understand please
    Same.

I mean, replace "whatever" with "bologna."

I'm interested in how people view themselves as much as I'm interested in interacting with them. Intriguing. Quite. *smokes pipe*

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

This would be really complex to describe in this thread. So many contexts, perspectives, levels, thoughts...I'm not sure I know where I'd start.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

oh man no, what i do and accomplish is a product of who i am.
    i'm constantly doing new things by not only incorporating but also
    entering entirely different disciplines.

i'm very aware of which facets of my personality
    i'll show/exaggerate at work, at play, or at home.
    work people are always surprised to see how i am
    at home, my long time friends are shocked to see
    how i am at work but not surprised i make people
    cry all the time--i dunno. i'm just very compartmental.
    always have a good idea of what's on exhibit.

i think society has already carved out a space for me
    --but at the same time this is a cultural thing where
    i'm from. there are certain expectations that go along
    with it. while i don't agree with all of it, my childhood
    rearing was very much align to it: the kind of education
    i received, the social circle/bubble i was in growing up,
    the jobs that started my career. i definitely tried to
    go fit in/go along with it, when i was younger. but the
    moment my world expanded, meeting so many other
    people and perspectives, i started defining my own
    place in society according to my own terms.
    i'm still very aware of the froufrou that people tend
    to see before they see how i play the social game?

both. i learn best from mistakes. i'm just not very good
    at remembering the mistakes. but i'm very much
    future oriented.

probably, because i can't even really describe it. there's always a constant
    storm brewing in the horizon for me. i'm always part confused with equal parts of
    certainty. but it's where i'm very comfortable. i think it'd be terrible if i wasn't
    confused all the time, so of my best work is generated from confusion.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken