User Tag List

First 12

Thread: SLOW DOWN!

Time is a real tyranny, but only if you let it be - don't count the seconds when you don't have to. Learn to appreciate an undriven mind and the stillness that it offers - every small detail amplifies, and you're suddenly able to take in the world.
    Hello

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Timeframes and deadlines are just standards and expectations--we want to know what to expect out of others. But we can always push back on them so that we can slow things down in order to regain our sanity. We've got a better product out the back end that way; we don't cut corners because we're working closer to our own terms. We're centered, man.

We also tend to treat the self-imposed standards way too seriously. How many of us have beaten ourselves up for not waking up 'on time' because we have ourselves defined what 'on time' is, regardless of how miniscule the consequences actually are? I did just that this morning.

I'm a big fan of "working smarter, not harder"--which means identifying a problem before tackling it.
    Totally agree with the timelines and deadlines... For me they aren't an "oh my God we must have this project completed on this day or the building is going to blow up" situation... It's an "it would be nice to complete this project on this day, but I understand things happen" situation!

I'm all for working smarter, not harder as well. It seems like any time I have tried to work harder instead of smarter, I ended up having to redo it anyway!

Yup, it's as if we don't look at the long term or the big picture. Hurrying the hell up now may not yield results later on--because we're hurrying the hell up in the wrong way--because we're not centered and because we're aimless.

garbage

To be fair, at a deep level, all of this is hard to reconcile with the notion that we shouldn't squander our time--carpe diem and all of that. We're conditioned to think that meaningful use of our time means constantly staying active, busy, and productive.

To be fair, at a deep level, all of this is hard to reconcile with the notion that we shouldn't squander our time--carpe diem and all of that. We're conditioned to think that meaningful use of our time means constantly staying active, busy, and productive.

Don't stagnate, but don't drive yourself insane - it's a good rule of thumb.
    Hello

Yes, time we enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

And how nice to be told, "You are my favourite waste of time".

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    Just to get to the next stop light. Half the time I end up pulling up right next to people that do that. If I wasn't scared of road rage I'd probably wave at them.

Seems like the only time people slow down anymore is when they are planted in front of a TV!
    I can't resist grinning at them when I pull up beside them.

Agreed. TV hypnotizes.

As technology speeds things up, they speed up beyond our ability to perceive them. And as we loose sight of them, we slow right down and start to percieve pattern.

So speed increasing exponentially leads to the slow perception of pattern.