User Tag List

First 12

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

identification is opposite from projection. basically with projection you are seeing something that is in you in others and not in yourself, this way distorting the reality. identification is when you start to unconsciously behave like someone else(for example identifying with your father and starting to behave like him). basically its like mimicking someone, except that mimicking is conscious. jung says that its possible to identify on complexes(leading to neurosis) and with your conscious attitude(basically your dom/aux function and leading to one sided development). freudians have also wrote about identification quite alot
    Ah. Woops.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Where does psychological identification end and projection begin?
    I have been toying with this idea for a while now.. I think I need some ti-ers up in here to help me make the distinction... is there a clear distinction? How does one know they are being projected on? Is projecting always a bad thing?
    Interesting question.

I think the distinction between identification and projection relies upon the extent to which the denial of the externalized trait occurs.

We discern the world through experience. I think in our attempts to understand people we have to overlay some model that we're familiar with in order to say what's happening. The danger is twisting facts to fit theories. In other words, where the person unconsciously blinds themselves to certain facts of the other person's circumstances in order to maintain the integrity of their explanation of them. In my mind, this distortion is the crucial distinction between identification and projection. The challenge is that it's impossible for the individual to recognize when they've failed to be objective, so to that extent all extent we're always projecting to some degree. Perhaps it's overly charitable to simply think of projection as the dark side of empathy, but there's no other way to look at it if we consider it to be an unconscious phenomenon.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Interesting question.

I think the distinction between identification and projection relies upon the extent to which the denial of the externalized trait occurs.

We discern the world through experience. I think in our attempts to understand people we have to overlay some model that we're familiar with in order to say what's happening. The danger is twisting facts to fit theories. In other words, where the person unconsciously blinds themselves to certain facts of the other person's circumstances in order to maintain the integrity of their explanation of them. In my mind, this distortion is the crucial distinction between identification and projection. The challenge is that it's impossible for the individual to recognize when they've failed to be objective, so to that extent all extent we're always projecting to some degree. Perhaps it's overly charitable to simply think of projection as the dark side of empathy, but there's no other way to look at it if we consider it to be an unconscious phenomenon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_(psychology) or if you had just read my post.

Like i also mentioened in my last post, projection is a way to keep ego from feeling overly anxious, so i wouldnt call it any dark side of empathy, or having anything to do with empathy, since empathy is again the opposite direction of projection, like identification is. Projection goes inside out and identification and empathy goes outside in.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_(psychology) or if you had just read my post.

Like i also mentioened in my last post, projection is a way to keep ego from feeling overly anxious, so i wouldnt call it any dark side of empathy, or having anything to do with empathy, since empathy is again the opposite direction of projection, like identification is. Projection goes inside out and identification and empathy goes outside in.
    The OP never explicitly stated that she was using the Jungian definition, so I figured that "identification" in this case was subject to interpretation. However the word was defined her question was interesting because the OP asked about where there may or may not be a point of convergence between the two concepts. None of your posts so far seem to actually address that issue. You just seem to be regurgitating definitions and post shitting on people who are actually trying to think it through.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

My projecting on me here? Wut?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    The OP never explicitly stated that she was using the Jungian definition, so I figured that "identification" in this case was subject to interpretation. However the word was defined her question was interesting because the OP asked about where there may or may not be a point of convergence between the two concepts. None of your posts so far seem to actually address that issue. You just seem to be regurgitating definitions and post shitting on people who are actually trying to think it through.
    its a general term in todays psychology, like projection is
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I honestly am thankful for being a psychology major. I became aware of my own projections and these were lessened. Projection as a defense mechanism can lead to self-denial so long as you have someone or something to throw it to (which we all have a lot of). But yes, as stated above, projecting lessens anxiety as the ego calms down.