• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you become transhuman?

H

Hate

If you were offered a free opportunity to become transhuman, with the freedom to choose and design the “upgrades” you would like. Would you accept the offer and become transhuman, or stay the same?

If yes, what changes would you like to make to yourself?

Transhumanism_LA_WEB_01-1.jpg

Last edited:

KDude

Yes, but I'm kind of vain. I'd have to make it look unnoticeable.. or at least cool. I don't want to be the transhuman equivalent of a bad collagen lip job.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wouldnt want it, i prefer to be 100% human, even if it had some disadvantages in some situations

redacted

That term seems pretty general, but if something's gonna give me better skills without risk of mutilating or lobotomizing myself, then sure, why not?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Would you become transhuman?

Sign me the eff up...

List of things I would want:
- eyes (blind as a bat and wear contacts now)
- upgraded cardio/respiratory system to improve endurance
- neural wifi attachment to surf the web in my head
- replace my busted left elbow

There are a bunch more, but that's it for now.

G

garbage

Yeah. It's more convenient than carrying a smartphone with me, and it serves a similar purpose.

S

Society

would i? future tense? my immunity system has being getting regular upgrades since i was a baby, the only reason i can remember and easily access most of my thoughts and ideas is because they are stored in computing clouds, fuck my entire organizational skill demands a computer chip to remember my schedule for me, and I'm not sure if i would remember how to spell without spellcheck.. did i mention the advance technology shaping my face? without it I'd have a uni-brow, and those nose hairs don't get cut off by themselves.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
would i? future tense? my immunity system has being getting regular upgrades since i was a baby, the only reason i can remember and easily access most of my thoughts and ideas is because they are stored in computing clouds, fuck my entire organizational skill demands a computer chip to remember my schedule for me, and I'm not sure if i would remember how to spell without spellcheck.. did i mention the advance technology shaping my face? without it I'd have a uni-brow, and those nose hairs don't get cut off by themselves.

Let's pit your manicured eyebrow & nose hairs against a hulking cyborg; I think youll wish you spent that shaving money more wisely, like on fighting machines.

S

Society

Let's pit your manicured eyebrow & nose hairs against a hulking cyborg; I think youll wish you spent that shaving money more wisely.
o come on, look at it: a wheel connected too 3 little container with their own wheels, with small injection pumps leading to the back of the head where several sprinkle wires stretch over the hair...

this is clearly an automatic hair dye machine.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Upgraded memory and faster processing speed.

Enhanced immune system. It's pretty good now but hey, if you can improve it why not?

Something that will always make me look and feel youthful.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hell yes I would. I'd upload my consciousness into a computer. Then I'd get the following changes: a body which is a floating ball of eyes and ears and a surrounding cloud of nanomatter which I can manipulate into various tools (and which can take on the appearance of a human body so I don't alienate people, I guess), the ability to fork my consciousness (take that, Descartes), the ability to regulate various aspects of consciousness (fear, level of dissociation, sense of time, pain, and I'd have to think out the rest), the ability to speed up or slow down my metabolism (and thinking speed?), and perfect eidetic memory which I can play back (which could double as a compass).

Has anyone here played Eclipse Phase?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, and I know who I would be too. A "good" version of kadmin in altered carbon

G

garbage

Oh, yeah.

I've been told that I regularly operate at around 75% (or less) of what my 'normal' capacity should be, because of mental conditions. The right combination of medication would help me reach 'normal,' and I get glimpses of it from time to time. So, reaching 'normal' for me winds up feeling like reaching transhuman because I'm just flat-out not used to it. When I'm manic--yeah, even moreso.

I have often wondered whether or not I would be completely satisfied with that 'normal.' My 'natural state' without the right medication is all sorts of 'bad'--suboptimal, unproductive (in my estimation; the world seems quite content with it, though), miserable--so I don't regard the natural state as something to shoot for.

I would regard anything that makes us mentally stronger and more adept as fair game, so long as the side effects don't burn us out (yeah, that's a bitch). I would love to at least experiment with those sorts of enhancements. Even if I'm not on them for long, I would still learn from the experience, at least.

I would want these sorts of enhancements to be available publicly, though, for our mutual betterment. Lots of people benefit from being a Google/Wikipedia away from a wealth of information, from generic drugs at ~$4/month, etc.

In another life, I would have been one of those hippies who experimented with all sorts of illegal drugs just to gain the perspectives that they provided.

V

violaine

Yes, I would. I'd most likely make changes as my body parts wore out. But I'd also be interested in anything that was an enhancement overall.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i wouldn't mind some enhancements. transhuman is a confused term. or maybe human is a confused term to begin with. if you interpret it as a (false sense of) identity. there is no way i would/could become anything other than what i am, no matter how many computers you attach to me. i am consciousness, i experience form. besides i allready consider myself to be seriously one_with the internet. it's a part of me, like culture, like people i know, like anything.

now remote-controlling all hormons would be more of a problematic issue.

and i would reject mere replacements.
an artifical heart isn't a heart. science is likely to ignore all the more subtle features of any realy organ.
then it would not really be an enhancement.
additions are interesting.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
and that penis enlargement that was promised to me by emails for over a century is long overdue.
how about a penis with adjustable size and color plus various munitions, btw.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't trust whoever was in charge of maintenance. Software problem? Routed to peon with list of basic questions. Hardware problem? Routed to peon with list of basic questions. Biological problem? Have you dealt with insurance and healthcare lately?