• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you become transhuman?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This is my most anticipated looming [within 50 years] social issue. Can't wait.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of us already consider ourselves to be posthuman.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If it's anything like Houellebecq's neo-humans, then I say fuck no.

sculpting

totally.

I'd first get rid of my entire body and replace it with a robot body. It would be smooth and aerodynamic, exceptionally fast and strong but doesnt need to have a face or anything. Maybe two giant eyes. I would want to be able to "see" in all wavelengths of light, X-ray to radio, (I'l miss out on the gamma waves, thanks.)

I would want it to be able to fly through intersteller space with an engine that would allow me to travel from start to star and be powered by some sort of renewable source of energy (blah blah collection of hyrdogen gas or some such crap that they mention in SF books).

Hmm, I guess I turned into a space ship. :)

Lark

Christ no.

Its also alright to discrimate against those who forfeit their humanity...

Lark

Until they squish your skull with a pneumatic, nanobyte infused, titanium arm.

Confirming that 'might makes right' is at the bottom of people who like this idea.

Wait, a lot of them are the forum capitalists or liberal opinion, who'd have thunk...

KDude

Confirming that 'might makes right' is at the bottom of people who like this idea.

Wait, a lot of them are the forum capitalists or liberal opinion, who'd have thunk...

Damn. That's kind of impressive how you did that.

It's like the Six Degrees of Seperation thing with you. Except instead of Kevin Bacon, it's Politics.

Lark

Damn. That's kind of impressive how you did that.

It's like the Six Degrees of Seperation thing with you. Except instead of Kevin Bacon, it's Politics.

In order to be this much in love with me you really should be a hot female, preferrably red headed and scotch

KDude

In order to be this much in love with me you really should be a hot female, preferrably red headed and scotch

You're the one in Ireland. Your luck increases if you step outside. ;)

G

garbage

For those who say 'no' for reasons of preserving the human essence..

Where is the line drawn? To me, if we carry a smartphone around virtually 24/7, it may as well be said to be an extension of us--a part of us. By carrying the thing around, we can 'outsource' our memory and are virtually always connected to a wealth of organized information, we can be in constant contact with nearly anyone. Would it be different if it were made to be thin and injected under the skin, into the body, physically a part of us?

Are there other features that you would regard as forfeiting humanity?

Take this from someone who doesn't draw ready distinctions between anything--a Perceiver--but that believes that technological capability often outruns our ethical thought. I'm curious as to where your lines are drawn.

Lark

You're the one in Ireland. Your luck increases if you step outside. ;)

No seriously man, we're hard up for honeys, hence fancying scots.

[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] its mortality and frailty which are among my criteria the most significant, transhumanism is usually characterised by craving power or longevity or immortality, not humanity

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lark said:
transhumanism is usually characterised by craving power or longevity or immortality, not humanity

It's more about poetry of the soul imo. Reaching mutually exclusive (biologically speaking) emotional/mental/physical states.

I want to fuck, skydive, solve equations, be, compose, and meditate while performing surgery.

G

garbage

No seriously man, we're hard up for honeys, hence fancying scots.

[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] its mortality and frailty which are among my criteria the most significant, transhumanism is usually characterised by craving power or longevity or immortality, not humanity
Got it. And you've caused me to think about where my own 'line' is, so you deserve bonus points for that.

We as humans love our progress. We can't get enough. Enough is never enough for us. We don't stagnate. Hedonic treadmill, etc.

For me, going with the flow of natural human progress is okay, but using it to exert power over others and to dominate is not. In my estimation, we may eventually accept the technology that we find repulsive now--we find that this happens a lot--but, hey, if we're not ethically ready, we're not ethically ready.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
just give me an antenna, just like ants!
whatfor? to link myself into the world wide imaginet ofc! -.-

and.. new reproductive organs? oh wait, thats what the antenna is for. mind melding!
hey infp's, when they give me an antenna, will you all marry me in imaginet? until thn, your off my list. so you better hope to get an antenna soon.

humanity is going to become one ant hill. isnt that romantic?
*stops pretending an avarage male*

EDIT:

to those who think humanity exists, take a look at technology.
we already have machine consciousness, go research creativity machine.
everything which exists as intelligence is based upon neural network, thus machine (as in created by humans) consciousness is no different.
there is no such thing as humanity, its a figment of our imagination, we are machines.

and purpose of life is to give a reason for intelligence to exist. it doesnt exist for itself, it dies without someon to be slave to.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
maybe a new kneecap and the ability to program some things out of my brain (memories, alcoholism, craziness and fondness for food from gas stations)... that's about it though, I got some pretty good genes for the most part :laugh: