User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Default Wikipedia is Groupthink?

For some time now I have, against my better judgement, been quoting Wikipedia as a source of information. Not in a *and here's the proof* kind of way; more a *these are the basic facts*. It's a lazy way of doing research, I know.

All the same I get annoyed when people dismiss an argument because the source is Wiki. It's an equally easy and lazy way of dismissing an argument by *discrediting* a source without bothering with the argument.

The problem is that Wikipedia is Truth by Concensus. Groupthink is *Truth* by Concensus and often results in very poor outcomes.

Is Wiki just sophisticated groupthink (with pretend experts on board) and - if so - can using it as a source ever be justified?

MBTI
    OMNi

I've seen things on Wiki that are just plain wrong. And sometimes things are written with an obvious slant or bias, not in the encyclopedia (just facts) style that you would expect from wiki. Since wiki is so easily changed by individuals I wouldn't consider it groupthink and I certainly disagree with things I read on there all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Are you a teacher?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Are you a teacher?
    No. I only like children if they are fried.

Edit: With older students a spit roast is the preferred method.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Wikipedia is not considered a valid source to use in a paper or research at most universities, but it is a good starting point for research a lot of times. You can look a topic up and the links at the bottom of the page and check them out. Sometimes there are some good sources used in a wikipedia article that you may not have thought to have used in the first place.

Though you must be suspicious of a site that Steven Colbert can have changed at his bidding

("librarians are hiding something")
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh okay, 'cause I basically can't take any teacher seriously when they complain about wikipedia. What they do, could be considered groupthink.

But upon reading the rest of the OP I couldn't help noticing you're mostly on my side here.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    NICE

Oh okay, 'cause I basically can't take any teacher seriously when they complain about wikipedia. What they do, could be considered groupthink.
    I cannot speak for outside of UK but the teachers I had did not indulge in Groupthink. Pedantry would be the word I'd use.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Is Wiki just sophisticated groupthink (with pretend experts on board) and - if so - can using it as a source ever be justified?
    That sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to ask the authority you're submitting to. As to whether or not the information on the site is valid, cross reference is a good idea.

I don't really think wiki is groupthink any more than public education, Websters Dictionary, or a church is.

Doesn't anyone understand moderation?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Additionally, since the inception and popularity rise of the Online Uncyclopedia I'd bet that a lot of the prankster traffic on Wikipedia has subsided.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    NICE

That sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to ask the authority you're submitting to. As to whether or not the information on the side is valid, cross reference is a good idea.

I don't really think wiki is groupthink any more than public education, Websters Dictionary, or a church is.

Doesn't anyone understand moderation?
    You misunderstand me - with the greatest respect. Websters dictionary, et al, are private works by individuals with an agenda or policy. They are most certainly not Groupthink. Organised religion is most definitely not.

I'm temped to give you the Wiki link to Groupthink. Hell, I will...

Groupthink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spot the irony.