User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Do You Think You Could Be Part of a Mob?

You see mob action on the news all the time. It seems to me to be pure insanity. I was trying to run a scenario in which I could be swept up in one but could not. I will think more, I am only human, I suspect it could happen.

I am curious, could you see yourself acting within a mob?

What could drive one to join such activity? Are there qualities of personality that allow one to go along with the crowd, the flock, swarm, mob behavior?

Does pre-thinking our future actions help guard against this, imo, extremely dangerous human behavior?

Am I not seeing positive things in mob mentality?

"It's never enough." The Cure

Anew Leaf

I can see myself, yes. For example, the Great House Avatar Swap of 2011.

In all seriousness, I think there is a biological instinct to be part of a mob. "safety in numbers, etc." "if you aren't with us you're against us."

I view this mentality when I watch Survivor at times. There will be an obvious choice of idiot to vote out, but it can be easier to vote with the mob block rather than make your own self a target.

NPcomplete

Hahahahahah so I came here thinking that we were talking about the Mob, the Mafia...GODFATHER! And was going to say that yes, I can easily see myself being an ..

*and now I've said it*
    *mischief managed *

*so for the more serious response now*

Hmm yes I have done this before, quite unfortunately. I regretted it afterwards (unless it was for hijinks like the aforementioned House Avatar "let's all share a brain for one night" thingie) because I thought that I wasn't being true to myself in the end. So now, um, I take a step back and think more.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Hahahahahah so I came here thinking that we were talking about the Mob, the Mafia...GODFATHER!
    Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

Anyways, in general no, mainly because I try to distance myself from anything that could have consequences. I'd more likely be the person sitting on his roof with a rifle just in case the mob turns violent and tries to break my property or something (I really don't know why there would be a mob anywhere near me anyways.)

Though, I can't say that it is impossible, if I were to find a good reason I guess I could see myself in one, it's unlikely though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx

I tend to avoid crowds. So I doubt I'd be in a mob simply because I wouldn't put myself in that situation. Actually, I really don't have a clear answer for this topic. I guess we never know what we would do unless we put ourselves in the situation. I know I sure as heck wouldn't try to break up an angry mob!! I'd just run and hide!!

MBTI
    IsFJ

If I felt I was being threatened for not joining, maybe. Otherwise, I'd probably feel lost and panicky and afraid of being trampled.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

Anyways, in general no, mainly because I try to distance myself from anything that could have consequences. I'd more likely be the person sitting on his roof with a rifle just in case the mob turns violent and tries to break my property or something (I really don't know why there would be a mob anywhere near me anyways.)

Though, I can't say that it is impossible, if I were to find a good reason I guess I could see myself in one, it's unlikely though.
    LOL, no one expects the Spanish inquisition.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanGirl View Post
    I tend to avoid crowds. So I doubt I'd be in a mob simply because I wouldn't put myself in that situation. Actually, I really don't have a clear answer for this topic. I guess we never know what we would do unless we put ourselves in the situation. I know I sure as heck wouldn't try to break up an angry mob!! I'd just run and hide!!
    Chocolate IS good for you, silly!

I avoid those kind of situations as well, I just have never heard of a good end result. Angry mobs need cliffs to run over, not us to stop them, it's true.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    If I felt I was being threatened for not joining, maybe. Otherwise, I'd probably feel lost and panicky and afraid of being trampled.
    I wonder if that is what happens to some, wrong place, wrong time?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Hmm yes I have done this before, quite unfortunately. I regretted it afterwards (unless it was for hijinks like the aforementioned House Avatar "let's all share a brain for one night" thingie) because I thought that I wasn't being true to myself in the end. So now, um, I take a step back and think more.
    No kidding. Like in school?
    Don't share if you don't want to.