User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Yeah, that would be a definite problem. How would you stop once you started? After all, the hair tends to grow back thicker and longer. What started off as a cosmetic experiment could quickly become a cosmetic necessity.
    Just for the record, this isn't true. Shaving doesn't cause hair to grow back thicker (or longer). The only difference is that short hair is more bristly - but that is just a result of it being short, not a change in the hair itself.

MBTI
    INFP

Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 03:43 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP

My neck hairs beg to differ.
    Be that as it may, it's been measured untold times, and it really doesn't. ( Hair removal: Does shaving make it grow back thicker? - MayoClinic.com )

MBTI
    INXP

My neck hairs beg to differ.
    Try nairing or waxing em. They'll come back slightly less "thick" feeling.

It's likely you just got older as you were shaving. Testosterone will make your beard thicker.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Be that as it may, it's been measured untold times, and it really doesn't. ( Hair removal: Does shaving make it grow back thicker? - MayoClinic.com )
    Yes, that's what I thought as well, having read about it a bit. (But I didn't want to stake a post on it without backup.)

Just wait until you start getting ear hair, Jeff. It's very exciting.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

The only person I ever knew who shaved her arms was Middle Eastern and was embarrassed about the amount and darkness of the hair she had. Other than that, no, I really don't think a majority of people (men or women) shave their arms.
    INTP

MBTI
    INFP

Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 09-12-2007 at 03:45 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

FWIW I've always thought earrings are a barbaric, repulsive practice. Aren't there already enough jewelry-wearing options without stabbing a couple of fucking holes into your ears? Surely the ears are already irredeemably unsexy for both men and women?
    Considering the other sorts of things that get pierced today, earrings don't really look that bad at all...

It would be interesting to think about why certain damage to the body is acceptable and why other damage is not. For example, many women think that navel ornaments/piercings are beautiful now (with the onset of the mid-riff shirt), but not nearly as many people wear the eyebrow rings, and only a few people make themselves look like lizards or tigers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INXP

FWIW I've always thought earrings are a barbaric, repulsive practice. Aren't there already enough jewelry-wearing options without stabbing a couple of fucking holes into your ears? Surely the ears are already irredeemably unsexy for both men and women?
    But dangly earrings so pretty! Especially if you have a round face!
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    ENTP

After all, the hair tends to grow back thicker and longer.
    This is the sort of 'knowledge' i'd expect from an ESFx I haven't believed this urban legend since I was 11.
    Your hair is dead when it's out of the follicle, so the root has no idea what's happening with the end. How would it know to grow back thicker and longer? What does happen is that the blunt end on the hair tapers out after awhile. So recently cut hair feels sharper than grown out hair.

As for cutting of the arm hair, I've been accused of doing it because mine is so fine and short and light it looks like i have none. I've heard of some women doing it, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority don't. Truthfully I kind of wish more did. It grosses me out when I see a girl with long dark hair extending around half of her arm. You all will probably think that's horribly shallow, but whatever. It's weird to me.
    I don't wanna!