• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mood altering medicine and MBTI

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
How do you think legal (and illegal) mood altering drugs relate to personality and/or MBTI? Totally unrelated? Or maybe they suppress your inferior function under stress or anxiety? What do you think?

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It depends on the chemistry in question. Within the phenethylamines alone there are dozens of mood-altering drugs, all with differing effects on the affect.

Consider too that some amides and indole ring entheogens have the possibility of suspending in total that thing we call "personality," for indeed, there is no individuated self remaining when under their inluence. In these cases it might be more useful to consider transpersonal psychology and the shamanic/esoteric rituals born of perennial wisdom traditions and gnostic pursuits as means by which we may understand.

Namaste,
Ian

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I like that question, it's interesting. I'm inclined to say no. The phenotype of your personality may change and getting rid of physical barriers that stunt your growth may help you develop other functions. However, I think the preferences are still hardwired into your system (and by functions, I mean Si, Ne, Fi, etc.), independent of phenotypes.

So, for example, if you have social anxiety, and appear shy, then take anti-social anxiety pills (too lazy to look 'em up), you will appear to have morphed from introvert to extrovert. At the same time, you were and still are dominated by extraverted perception (primary function Se or Ne). This would mean that you are and always were an extravert (according to the MBTI system), regardless of how outgoing you appear.

Now, when it comes to conditions like schizophrenia, where the actual brain is messed up beyond "chemical imbalances," I'm not sure. I'm also going to acknowledge that I have no rational argument behind the "hard-wired" theory beyond what I see in chemically healthy persons (which includes the emotionaly unhealthy). Hmmmm, I guess I'm saying it's genetic.

Anyway, hopefully that made some sense. :cheers: Hazah!

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Oops... I just realized that I answered a slightly different question than what you asked. Oh well, you're a P, I'm a P... it's close enough.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not sure of the validity of nicotine as a mood altering drug but it has and does help me to deal with large forums of people (you know like groups of more than say two). I've noticed that in depth discussion, especially about important things, will drive me to smoke more. I associate it with taking the edge off my nerves which then allows me to focus despite being tense.

Oh yeah, caffeine is another one. A drug (to be course in my naming) which helps to keep the energy going... another tool for dealing with people. Once relaxed and full of energy, it's easier to meet and greet.. ;)