User Tag List

123 Last

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Personality as in the behaviorist stuff of Big 5 and the like, yes those change and can be worked on.

More fundamental personality that is attempted to get at by MBTI and the like, is something that is developed upon according to how your core personality unfolds it. The development is drastic, but it's not a full shift into someone completely different, short of maybe some serious neurological event.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I believe so.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Absolutely. Though some folks will have to work a lot harder at it than others.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I think we can adapt out personality to deal with our present situation and environment, and to work toward achieving our aims, but at our core we have a personality that we are "meant to be" and when we have an environment that is conducive to that personality, then we feel our best and can make progress toward reaching our true potential.

I believe that if we reach a point where we feel like we do not like who we have become, it is usually an indication that society and environment have warped us into being something we were not meant to be. If the reason we do not like who we are and feel the need to change is because a goal is harder to reach because of aspects of our personality, then that falls into the catagory of voluntarily adapting our personality to make life easier (being an introvert looking for a job, I see the need to try to adapt into being more outgoing, but I know this is an attempt to develop a skill that I can turn on or off as needed and I see it as attempting to fix a weakness rather than changing who I am)
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

Riva

That's a lot of rubbish advice given though in the links and the video. Urgh!!!

They were focusing more in changing habits than changing personalities.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Short answer would be yes, but I don't know how easily.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No. Behaviors can be changed, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    That's a lot of rubbish advice given though in the links and the video. Urgh!!!

They were focusing more in changing habits than changing personalities.
    This is the thing. We can change habits. We can develop and better utilize our natural talents. As we age, our preferences moderate. People do change in some ways which can be positive or negative. They can become more moderate. They can eliminate negative things. They can pick up and adopt the beliefs of a particular ideology. On the other hand, they can become discouraged, skeptical of life and turn into grumpy old men. People are remarkably consistent in many many ways however. Maybe it depends on how you define personality. I consider it to fall along the typological lines and that does not change. You can lean towards a being a healthy 5 vs. an unhealthy one or be a more balanced INFP vs. an unbalanced one, but you don't change to a 7 or an ENTP.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This is the thing. We can change habits. We can develop and better utilize our natural talents. As we age, our preferences moderate. People do change in some ways which can be positive or negative. They can become more moderate. They can eliminate negative things. They can pick up and adopt the beliefs of a particular ideology. On the other hand, they can become discouraged, skeptical of life and turn into grumpy old men. People are remarkably consistent in many many ways however. Maybe it depends on how you define personality. I consider it to fall along the typological lines and that does not change. You can lean towards a being a healthy 5 vs. an unhealthy one or be a more balanced INFP vs. an unbalanced one, but you don't change to a 7 or an ENTP.
    Changing healthiness levels cannot be considered as changing personalities could they? It's just feeling more secure about self. That's not changing your personality. The links suggest changing personality but gives advice on how to adopt good habits and drop bad ones. The links need a change in names.