• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are online tests accurate? mental, psychological etc

Mole

Permabanned
But it's only a little delusion along with putting "sweet" in my name to enhance the sweetness of it all.

:sadbanana:

And indeed you are the sweetest delusion of all, but more sweet than delusion.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am for other people, therefore I am to other people... you can't see the entire picture from the inside any better than you can from the outside :shrug:

True, but does self-reporting destroy the credibility of a self-reporting indicator because somehow the outside part of the picture is more important than the inside one in the taking a picture of one's insides?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
True, but does self-reporting destroy the credibility of a self-reporting indicator because somehow the outside part of the picture is more important than the inside one in the taking a picture of one's insides?

Yes.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
No, at some level not really accurate. I like to do my own research, at the same time I can discover lot of things which are very interesting to learn.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Issue with online tests. If they are looking at where individual X fits in relation to the score cloud of 'the average population' is that you can't really standardize them.
Basically if the scores are defined as '1 is average' 0 is the lowest and 2 is the highest (for example) you wouldn't be reproducing the initial conditions the test was taken in assuming that the test makers were careful to have a representative sample of the studied population and some controlled environment, which the internet certainly isn't. So solving the problems\answering the question in the same way on paper shouldn't necessarily lead to the same 'score'\result
So now if u want to average the scores and score ppl relative to other people to correct for the influence of the test taking environment the test takers and makers have to remember that the population of ppl looking for online tests is certainly NOT representative of the general population. So you face a double issue of a non controlled test taking environment and the inability to correct for this effect by giving test results relative to any representative sample of the studied population (except if u want the studied population to be 'people who found that test')

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for the replies! Hmm It's just, I've become quite a bit addicted to these tests and some.. okay most of them I scored high on. Maybe I should just suck it up and go see a professional or whatever, but I don't know. I'm extremely fickle minded and I do have issues with psychologists/psychiatrists. I feel that they don't really care. I mean, whether or not they listen they get paid either way. This is my own biased opinion of course. I've been to 2 different ones when I was younger, they gave me meds right off the bat. I wasn't even of legal age at the time. Btw do those things have side effects when taken by a minor?

Also, I wanted to know whether I score high or low on any specific test, could it be considered a basis for me on whether or not I go see a professional?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the replies! Hmm It's just, I've become quite a bit addicted to these tests and some.. okay most of them I scored high on. Maybe I should just suck it up and go see a professional or whatever, but I don't know. I'm extremely fickle minded and I do have issues with psychologists/psychiatrists. I feel that they don't really care. I mean, whether or not they listen they get paid either way. This is my own biased opinion of course. I've been to 2 different ones when I was younger, they gave me meds right off the bat. I wasn't even of legal age at the time. Btw do those things have side effects when taken by a minor?

Also, I wanted to know whether I score high or low on any specific test, could it be considered a basis for me on whether or not I go see a professional?

Many times, doctors won't diagnose (or will at least resist diagnosing) certain things if a patient is below a certain age, so for those things a test may be misleading. I'm not sure what you mean by side effects though.

If something in a test result worries/bothers you, it can't hurt to see a professional about it. Plus, taking a test administered by a professional allows them to interpret your results, which makes the test more useful overall.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

there are a lot of delusional people out there... :shock: