User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

  1. #11
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Driven is goal focused, and desperation is survival focused.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    When you succeed, you are driven. When you fail, you are desperate. I think this is how people view each other at least.

  3. #13
    Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I think being driven is seen as a natural state of mind - a personality trait - it is an always on sort of thing for the people that have it. Desperation may result in a similar effect, but it is very focused on a specific purpose, and it also caries with it the implication of a highly emotional state of mind that frequently clouds logical judgment - once the goal the desperation is making one strive for is reached (which is a real rarity since desperation often results in self-defeating behavior and decisions), the drive will disappear.

    Is it possible to be driven by desperation and still remain logical and rational? that is something I'm curious about...
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

  4. #14
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    desperate can be satiated, driven cannot be
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    desperate can be satiated, driven cannot be
    Pretty good attempt...reasoning...desperate has a goal...driven is more along the lines of a personality
    Im out, its been fun

  6. #16
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quick thoughts:

    Desperate = ''I wouldn't know how to live without it'' - low self esteem (unless there's a real threat)
    Driven = ''I want it and I can do it'' - healthy confidence

    Obsessed = (Desperate+driven)² - When desperation aligns with drive the combination is unhealthy and unsustainable, but it has some personal growth potential.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  7. #17
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Pretty good attempt...reasoning...desperate has a goal...driven is more along the lines of a personality
    desperate can stop at a certain point... desperate can be satisfied because they need something to be complete and it can be found

    driven cannot be satisfied because there is no such thing- driven is attempting to fill a bottomless hole because driving forward is really all that they can do
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    desperate can stop at a certain point... desperate can be satisfied because they need something to be complete and it can be found

    driven cannot be satisfied because there is no such thing- driven is attempting to fill a bottomless hole because driving forward is really all that they can do
    sounds good to me
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #19
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    sounds good to me
    there is much shrugging in this thread


    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    there is much shrugging in this thread


    Yeah, its just states of mind and perception. How can you say if someone that is driven isnt sub-consiously desperate and vice versa. I think its to "abstract" for an S type
    Im out, its been fun

Similar Threads

  1. [sp] What is the difference between so/sp and sp/so?
    By Turtle in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 02:52 PM
  2. What is the difference between SFP art and NFP art?
    By PikUpYourPantsPatrol in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 09:24 PM
  3. [ENFJ] What is the difference between ENTJ and ENFJ?
    By yenom in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO