User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    You find sadness to be more satisfying than anger? I find this so interesting. Is it because of the consequences of anger, versus the consequences of sadness?
    I think it's more that sadness is passive and introspective. The goal of sadness is to think differently about something.

Anger is one of the most impassive emotions by comparison. The goal of anger is to change something.

You (or at least I) cool down with sadness and heat up with anger. I guess I just prefer to cool down.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

A good, cleansing anger is pleasant from time to time.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    A good, cleansing anger is pleasant from time to time.
    We're such incompatible friends.

I love expressing hugs and discarding anger.
    You love expressing anger and discarding hugs.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The unnamed emotion that comes from listening to music, dancing, watching the rain fall, or seeing something awe-inspiring, like lightening. Or a mountain, the ocean and so on. It is a spiritual state, an immersion, and feels timeless.

Expressing anger and taking action over an injustice.

The feeling one gets when an object, sound, or idea strikes a chord with us, a resonance, a familiarity. It was something in the past, something forgotten. Old feelings resurface. I think it's nostalgia.

There's another emotion I like. It's almost opposite to that of nostalgia. Instead of fixating on the past, the emotion emerges from the feeling of ultimate possibilities. Its focus is the future. Not sure of the word for this one.

Smile I am yours

The emotion I can't quite grasp. The emotion that tantalized me by being just out of reach. The emotion that is just starting to percolate from my unconscious to my conscious. I don't know what it is yet, but I know it wants to be heard.

It expresses itself by a feeling. I try to understand the feeling. I try to work it out. But I know it is a mystery about to reveal itself. It doesn't want to be prefigured, it want to be itself, completely itself, on its own terms.

So trying to shape it, trying to make it socially acceptable, is seen for what it is - an attempt to control or even suppress the feeling. So sometimes the feeling lies doggo, and waits for an opportunity to flood into my consciousness. It tries to evade all the defences my consciousness has developed to protect itself. And then, as if by surprise, it says, "Here I am, I can be none other, and I am yours".

A window to the soul

I'm all out of ideas today, I had to look up a list of emotions, lolz.

Passion is the emotion that feels most satisfying, as it inspires me to do exceptional things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Oh, this makes sense! Ok. I wonder if it's function- or type-related. Because I feel the same catharsis with anger, and zero of the catharsis with sadness. If I watch movies, or listen to music, or read a book, that is painfully sad and possibly makes me sad, i just end up feeling more sad, and have a hard time raising my spirits afterwards. Whereas, listening to music or watching movies etc with massive explosions of RAGE is one of the most beautifully cathartic things for me. (I'm not really sure why this is -- but it's part of the reason why, if a movie has made me cry, I will never, ever watch it again.)

Here's an example, in the form of a conversation I had with someone about music.
    INFP Friend: Do you listen to Regina Spektor?
    Me: Nah, man. Listening to her is like being dragged into a room with no windows and no doors and being beaten over the head with the worst human emotions, for over an hour. It's kind of traumatic.
    INFP Friend (looking confused): Traumatic? Really? But you listen to such intense music.
    ^ My version of "intense" was intensely sad, e.g. Regina Spektor (and sometimes Amanda Palmer), whereas her version of intense is some of the hard rock and metal that I listen to -- which has exactly the same feeling of black-box intimacy, only with anger instead of sadness.
    Interesting, I'm the same way as your INFP friend and shortnsweet.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

re: sadness -

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    No, sadness is simply more relieving, you feel better after some genuine sadness- like when you're nauseated and you vomit and then you feel wonderful after. I don't get that with anger. I just have to wait for it to cool down or go to bed.
    i would have to agree with this too, but for me it would work only with one particular shade of sadness. in my teens, i used to call it bright sadness, though "piercing" or "sharp" might be an even better description. it's the sort of feeling that makes me cry uncontrollably and seems intolerable, at first, but once it is gone there will be an overwhelming sense of inner brightness and calm. i get this from sergei esenin's poetry, mozart's "requiem" (which i love love LOVE - it's probably one of the best and most timeless examples of this to ever exist), songs like the original moody blues' version of "nights in white satin" or radiohead's "street spirit [fade out]" and a few movies i like. more recently, i had the same reaction to the final episodes of "angel", for personal reasons. (this to illustrate how diverse the media or genres can be - this can happen across different types of art and is not genre-dependent at all)

but, on the whole, it is rare to encounter this in art. most music considered "emotional" is likely to be the complete opposite. to me, there is no hint at catharsis there - what it does feel like is stepping into a suffocating dark cloud with no hope of emerging. i wouldn't even call this sadness. it's more like a molotov cocktail of generalized distress, irritation and unspecified inner murk. i get enough of that on a daily basis and do not need to be forced to go through more, thanks but no thanks. this is the reason i avoid "emo", goth, goth-rock and most moody folk music like the plague. if someone describes an artist's songs as, say, "conveying a rich feeling of melancholy", my usual reaction is to be extremely wary. the likelihood is that they are going to put me into overload mode, then leave me with a lingering feeling of discomfort and low spirits that is difficult to recover from. this is NOT what i would look for in art of any kind. i think this could be exactly what @EJCC was talking about.

Here's an example, in the form of a conversation I had with someone about music.
    INFP Friend: Do you listen to Regina Spektor?
    Me: Nah, man. Listening to her is like being dragged into a room with no windows and no doors and being beaten over the head with the worst human emotions, for over an hour. It's kind of traumatic.
    INFP Friend (looking confused): Traumatic? Really? But you listen to such intense music.
    yes. this. i have to agree when it comes to regina spektor. wouldn't listen to her either, for the exact reason i have mentioned (which seems to be the same as yours). and i would also describe her work and that of other similar artists as "traumatic" or "oppressive" rather than "catharthic".

i think the english word "moving" is quite apt when it comes to the difference between these two types of sadness. the sort that i find valuable MOVES one in a literal sense - it shifts something in one, turns one inside out and transforms one, from within. but most angsty art is counter-transformative. what is does is place one in this black hole, a dead zone where nothing happens. i don't need that - i am already there. my own personal limbo might even be better in that it is a place where you feel next to nothing, or something so obscure it eludes definition, with little hope of exit; and i guess i prefer it to a place where i would feel outright horrible, also with little hope of exit. this is the best i can explain it.

one other thing i find interesting about this undesirable type of sadness i try to avoid is how easily it turns into anger. it doesn't translate into tears easily (not to me) and is extremely difficult to express and get out of my system - so the one option it really leaves is this narrow bottleneck of anger. smashing something in the direct physical sense or having a heated debate is about the only way to make it disappear. and it does seem to have a component of anger in itself, which can quickly turn from a spark into a full-on flame.

Because I feel the same catharsis with anger, and zero of the catharsis with sadness. If I watch movies, or listen to music, or read a book, that is painfully sad and possibly makes me sad, i just end up feeling more sad, and have a hard time raising my spirits afterwards. Whereas, listening to music or watching movies etc with massive explosions of RAGE is one of the most beautifully cathartic things for me. (I'm not really sure why this is -- but it's part of the reason why, if a movie has made me cry, I will never, ever watch it again.)
    it's interesting how different people's reactions can be. if a movie has made me cry, i will consider it highly valuable and will recommend it to others as definitely worth watching (of course, with a "possible emotional trigger - susceptible persons beware" label attached). i may not be in a hurry to watch it again, or i may avoid it because i know i am not ready for that feeling to return. but i will be aware that, if i ever need to feel alive again, all i need to do is slip this dvd into the drive, and it is guaranteed to work.

but, again, to me, something that makes me cry is transformative and makes me feel more like a whole human being, takes me out of the limbo-state i'm usually suspended in - the very fact that i had started to cry signals this. most music or art is not going to do that for me.

^ My version of "intense" was intensely sad, e.g. Regina Spektor (and sometimes Amanda Palmer), whereas her version of intense is some of the hard rock and metal that I listen to -- which has exactly the same feeling of black-box intimacy, only with anger instead of sadness.
    one interesting thing is that i find harder rock music uplifting and invigorating (provided it is not too dissonant and doesn't have too much screaming and noise for its own sake - i don't like this, it doesn't feel like "music" to me). a few months ago i happened to listen to something by evanescence and was upset that such energetic, happy music could have such horrible emo lyrics, which felt anywhere from trite and stupid to overwhelming. couldn't help but shut them out altogether.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Excitement. Most of the others need to leave me alone.