• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tips for Making Yourself Happy

T

ThatGirl

Sometimes I find myself in a very irrationally irritated mood. It has nothing to do with anything specifically, its everything. Its people, life, rules, trends, egos, time, restrictions, changes, expectations, brains, preferences, society, animals, walls. You get the idea.

Its feels restricting, and somewhat self caging. During these times, if you experience irritation, how do you bring yourself back to your happy place?

And don't say meditation!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sex. Preferably sex then a snack then a nap.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yelling at someone (deserving) tends to make me quite happy :whistling:

also smiling... it actually fools people into thinking that they're happy when they aren't :thinking:

yelling at someone who has it coming is definitely something cheerful though :cheese:

T

ThatGirl

yelling at someone (deserving) tends to make me quite happy :whistling:

also smiling... it actually fools people into thinking that they're happy when they aren't :thinking:

yelling at someone who has it coming is definitely something cheerful though :cheese:

Haha! I was just sitting here with a forced smile, reading my computer and TK looks over at me with the most puzzeled look on his face...."What?"

I think I am creeping him out. Lol! <----real

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha! I was just sitting here with a forced smile, reading my computer and TK looks over at me with the most puzzeled look on his face...."What?"

I think I am creeping him out. Lol! <----real

note: creeping people out is also a guaranteed mood booster :laugh: (especially if it's someone close to you!)

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If I can express it- express it. Go on an epic rant, try to think of the funniest way of saying it while also pointing to how overblown it is.

But there comes a point where you have to just let it come-- let it defeat you. Then you calm down. I used to get so irritated at certain things I'd take my fingernails & claw them down the inner part of my arm while gritting my teeth just to keep from screaming. bad scene

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If I can express it- express it. Go on an epic rant, try to think of the funniest way of saying it while also pointing to how overblown it is.

But there comes a point where you have to just let it come-- let it defeat you. Then you calm down. I used to get so irritated at certain things I'd take my fingernails & claw them down the inner part of my arm while gritting my teeth just to keep from screaming. bad scene

:dont:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get away.

If it's the right time of year, I just leave civilization and go walking into the woods / backtrails.
In colder weather, I can just get in the car and drive with music blasting.

Otherwise I'm stuck escaping in my head, a la Sam Lowry.

rav3n

Working out helps. If you're a runner, this would be the perfect time to do so.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

What I meant by that wasn't 'let yourself go crazy', but more like, quit trying to battle reality with your feelings. Just accept that bad things might be happening but they aren't the end of the world.

So rather than wrecking yourself, you say: "things are bad, & that's that for now." & then you watch while life goes on.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVLyB0Yc6I&feature=related"]sometimes the bar eats you[/YOUTUBE]

Sigil

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You could always just beat up someone smaller than you. When I'm in a bad mood, I go to a school, find a kid that looks like one of my childhood bullies and then hit him untill he stops moving.

Lark

You could always just beat up someone smaller than you. When I'm in a bad mood, I go to a school, find a kid that looks like one of my childhood bullies and then hit him untill he stops moving.

You see how you've become part of the problem there.

Neutralpov

Life is droll if you don't practice good self-care. Do three deliberate things during the week to treat yourself. Works for me. I pick from the following: nap, do bikram yoga, call a good friend and ask if they will listen, read in the bathtub, write out my frustrations, and go get my hair cut and blow dried so I look nice on the outside (even if I am scowling on the inside). These help me soak in some me-time and get me snapped back to take on life.

p.s. Also: remind yourself that you are a free bird, free to do anything you want

Last edited:

WhimsyGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
eat cookies, do belly flops, and see above ([MENTION=15090]Sigil[/MENTION] *appreciate)

Lark

Hmm, I probably sleep, although its not a good idea to sleep all the time or use that as a copeing mechanism because it could throw off your sleep cycle. Although however you want to call it resting and relaxing are the key, so you're not feeling overtaxed anymore. Its that taxing of your inner resources, whatever causes it, that's the issue.

For a while I thought sleep was about Jung's idea of the unconscious finding remedies and rectifying crisis people mightnt even know they were experiencing but now I think its simpler than that. Although a good dream never did anyone any harm. Even if you have a nightmare its a relief to wake up and realise it wasnt real.

I dont believe in Freud's idea that people have a finite amount of emotional resources to be spent wisely or unwisely squandered, I agree with Fromm's criticism of it that its derivative of economic philosophies rather than objective reality.

Although I also agree with Fromm's idea that a lot of people are disordered and dont know it, that the economy, popular culture, a lot of everyday things place demands on people which can be torturous because they're not in keeping with peoples true nature.

Besides this, I like to take long walks alone, I like to find places to read and good books which I can get entirely absorbed in, I like to make contact with friends and hear from friends online or in person.

NB Kant said that when life made you weary there was always hope, sleep and laughter to help.

Sigil

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You see how you've become part of the problem there.

Hm, you mean instead of dealing with my own pain I just pass it on to someone else. I see...what I need is a masochist. I'm wonder if there's an app for that.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not in any particular order.

Buy some gorgeous shoes
Dance around the room like a maniac
Watch an hilarious comedy
Get out in nature
Eat cake
Ravage a man (preferably with his consent)