• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tips for Making Yourself Happy

Lark

Hm, you mean instead of dealing with my own pain I just pass it on to someone else. I see...what I need is a masochist. I'm wonder if there's an app for that.

Well if you're content being dependent on others, I guess that makes you the masochist. Anyway...

Sigil

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well if you're content being dependent on others, I guess that makes you the masochist. Anyway...

A masochist is someone who takes pleasure in pain, while many of these people enjoy subjugation it is not necessarily a defining trait of a masochist . Also, everyone is dependant on others in one form or another. If we loose contact with people, become disconnected our mental health suffers.

P. S. apologies for derailing the thread.

River

flowing quietly by
MBTI Type
INxP
Mediation in movement; yoga.

Attack the problem, what is making me feel trapped? Do i actually have choices?

Dissociate with media.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...

-Withdrawal from everyone: Usually my first defense, I'll go read a book, watch a movie or play video games. But I shut the world out.
-Go Ballroom Dancing if the option is available. *ALWAYS* makes me feel good
-Go my ravish and cuddle with my SO (if applicable)
-Listen to video game music or STP. Strictly speaking or both, both of those things I associate with good times in my life (video game music reminds me of my childhood and STP reminds me of that really warm and awesome period of my life when I got out of the hospital and everything felt possible). Si-dom though so YMMV :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its feels restricting, and somewhat self caging. During these times, if you experience irritation, how do you bring yourself back to your happy place?
Sometimes, I try to identify one actual, specific source of irritation and inconvenience in my life, and figure out a way to eliminate or reduce it. More generally, though, I will spend some time doing something I enjoy doing and am good at.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sport. Preferably involving heavy contact and moderate pain. Sometimes I just need to feel something.

Nef

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I find a hobby that makes me happy and immerse myself till I forget my troubles. That could be photography, violin, travel, illustration or watching continuous Big Bang Theory till the world turns the right way up again.
:shrug:

G

garbage

If the stuff that I'm feeling is very irrational, then distraction in any form helps. Chatting with friends, working on hobbies, etc. TV if I'm kinda desperate and irritated to the point of not being able to do anything else.

Then, I can deal with the stuff.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I find myself in a very irrationally irritated mood. It has nothing to do with anything specifically, its everything. Its people, life, rules, trends, egos, time, restrictions, changes, expectations, brains, preferences, society, animals, walls. You get the idea.

Its feels restricting, and somewhat self caging. During these times, if you experience irritation, how do you bring yourself back to your happy place?

And don't say meditation!

I have been known to suffer these moods. If I think about what causes them, I can connect it to an eruption of the inferior and the triggers for that. The classic example is doing taxes - I am about as irrationally irritated as a person can be. It can be a trifling annoyance that might push me into this while at other times when big and important things are happening, I'm the calm in the storm. If a driver in front of me does something really stupid it can annoy me a great deal and it colors my attitude for 5 minutes afterwards. If I'm stuck in traffic, sometimes I start pounding on the steering wheel (like that's going to help).

I have found some things that are related to this.
1. Stress causes it to be more likely this to happen
2. Eruption of inferior triggers for your type
3. Being tired and have not had enough sleep
4. I'm thinking or absorbed in something and interrupted
5. You're upset about something and it carries over to something else
6. You're replaying some behavior in a particular situation that your mother played when you were a child
7. For me, this was at its worst when I was in my late 20s and early 30s - it might have been a particularly stressful period

How to avoid it or reduce it?
1. Get sleep (most important thing)
2. Do things that get the "feel happy" hormones going through your bloodstream - there were a bunch of things mentioned - exercise, sex, etc. Fall in love with someone. I think that makes you feel better too.
3. Vent to a person you can trust and ask their opinion (works for a 6 anyway)
4. Listen to your feelings - seek to better understand your own behavior and actions - what triggered the emotions that are causing you to behave the way you do. Then think about the effect that your behaviors have related this has on your interactions with others. How would you perceive yourself if you were them?
5. Catch yourself engaging in these behaviors and stop the behavior because it can make you feel bad and them bad

"People won't remember what you said. They won't remember what you did. They will however never forget how you made them feel"

G

garbage

Also, I sometimes do some menial chores, then build up to working on something that requires actual thought or is otherwise important. Getting stuff done is a good feeling.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Usually sleep is my only cure. A long, hot shower and sleep.

Sometimes I can work through it by talking about it with certain people.

VagrantFarce

exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise
happy, smiling times with friends
sex
falling in love every now and then
eating a cake or something
keeping warm and fuzzy
not blaming other people for anything

Mole

Permabanned
Analysis and Laughter

Deep, deep analysis and the understanding that come with it makes me happy, content and balanced. And then I go out into the world and make people laugh.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Cooking or baking a new recipe. Training a horse that I know will be a problem, of course then they get the vibe not to mess with me and there is no problem. Lol, accomplishing something de-stresses me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Having your hair washed by someone else. So nice.