• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Correlation between introversion and self-centeredness?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Are introverts more self-centered? Is it bad?

What's to say for extroverts? Are they generally giving, compassionate and aware of others?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
No.. but it appears that things that are rewarding to introverts differ from those that are rewarding to extraverts.. and the things that the former does to reap said rewards are centered around solitary activity, whereas for the latter they are centered around others. Now, just because an action is centered around others does not mean it is giving, just as an action that is done in solitude is not necessarily self-centered..

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverts start confined within themselves and extend into the world.
Extroverts start in the world and extend into themselves.

(Put another way -- the sense of self for an introvert is often within, for an extrovert it's often without.)

An extrovert who doesn't expend energy to introspect will still be engaging the world. An introvert who doesn't expend energy to extrovert will seem withdrawn and self-absorbed. introverts thus might seem selfish... especially to extroverts.

I think extroverts can be just as selfish. They just show it in different ways, usually in how they interact with others, try to control them, what they take for themselves, etc.

LucrativeSid

I agree with Dana. And by the way, I'm pretty self-centered myself. I'm the perfect center for myself. Oh, but I'm not greedy or selfish. Me and my time belong to me to use as I choose. And I give everyone else the same right.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with Dana... objectively speaking.

As for personal experience... I can't possibly say as, due to their natures, I don't know as many introverts as I do extroverts so any assessment would be lopsided and invalid.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
The main reasons that are coming to my mind regarding relationships:
Introverts are self-centered in that they are somewhat unwilling to make sacrafices (of time, getting to know others, etc.)
Extraverts are self-centered in that they demand attention.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
The main reasons that are coming to my mind regarding relationships:
Introverts are self-centered in that they are somewhat unwilling to make sacrafices (of time, getting to know others, etc.)

I have to disagree with that. Using myself and the few introverts I have known, that willingness in "getting to know others" is, to me, a misguided stereotypical assessment that's developed probably on groups like INTPc and doesn't hold water. I, for one, am fascinated with people and wish to know them. In fact, taking the point one step further, I think the odds of an "I" getting to know another person deeply and understanding them is greater than those of an "E" doing so just because of the "focus" factor. "Is" just don't care to attempt that in a group setting precisely because of their need to focus deeply without distractions.

I run my own graphics group and am constantly hearing from members that they can't believe I remember this or that little tidbit about them (their likes and dislikes, color preferences, etc) that I learned a dozen years ago when they mentioned it in passing. Why? Because I focus on them intently.... but one a time which is easy on the net.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I have to disagree with that. Using myself and the few introverts I have known, that willingness in "getting to know others" is, to me, a misguided stereotypical assessment that's developed probably on groups like INTPc and doesn't hold water. I, for one, am fascinated with people and wish to know them. In fact, taking the point one step further, I think the odds of an "I" getting to know another person deeply and understanding them is greater than those of an "E" doing so just because of the "focus" factor. "Is" just don't care to attempt that in a group setting precisely because of their need to focus deeply without distractions.

I run my own graphics group and am constantly hearing from members that they can't believe I remember this or that little tidbit about them (their likes and dislikes, color preferences, etc) that I learned a dozen years ago when they mentioned it in passing. Why? Because I focus on them intently.... but one a time which is easy on the net.

I suppose, but extreme introverts would not pertain to your case.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I suppose, but extreme introverts would not pertain to your case.

Were you referring to me? (Language!) "your case"... or to my posit? I am quite introverted. I don't know how you define "extreme," but, not remembering the exact percentage but only the graph, I'm waaay left of center on the scale.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
So extreme they are almost pure. They would be peoplephobic and probably categorized as autistic.

Selectively mute people (do not have to be extreme introverts) could pertain to this kind of selfishness.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
So extreme they are almost pure. They would be peoplephobic and probably categorized as autistic.

Selectively mute people (do not have to be extreme introverts) could pertain to this kind of selfishness.

Hmm, gladly, I doubt I've met one of those irl. Although I did work with autistic children.. so, could be. But I also don't think I know any equally extreme extroverts.

Rasa

MBTI Type
INFP
Extraverts are self-centered in that they demand attention.
imho, there's truth in this. In fact, just bumped against this dynamic last night. Introvert me had to put my extravert game face on yesterday for a work-related, all-day promo event. When I got home, all I wanted to do was be left alone to detox. But my extravert SO wanted attention. Neither of us really wanted to sacrifice for the other, and although we reached something of a compromise, the evening did not end on a pleasant note.

Compromise pretty much means that both parties are pissed off.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
It is better to share the anger than to tip the scales.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
introversion is not relating things to yourself in regards to how they will benefit you

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Introverts are often less narcissistic. This probably has to do with receiving and wanting less praise. Tell my if my spelling is wrong. This is because introverts thrive less on others and do not need to be told that they're super sexy / cool every 5 minutes. Introverts (especially strong ones like me) get suspicious when they receive a lot of praise. We have pretty much learned to fend for ourselves, so in a way, we need less affirmation from the outside world. Resulting in less need to be asthetically pleasing, and thus less narcissistic.

Last edited:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Introverts are often less narcissistic. This probably has to do with receiving and wanting less praise. Tell my if my spelling is wrong.

You're as un-narcissistic as Miss Piggy.
miss-piggy1.jpg

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introverts are often less narcissistic. This probably has to do with receiving and wanting less praise. Tell my if my spelling is wrong.

FAIL!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Seriously, back up your points. None of your posts have their points backed up.

>_>