User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Correlation between introversion and self-centeredness?

Are introverts more self-centered? Is it bad?

What's to say for extroverts? Are they generally giving, compassionate and aware of others?

MBTI
    INFP

No.. but it appears that things that are rewarding to introverts differ from those that are rewarding to extraverts.. and the things that the former does to reap said rewards are centered around solitary activity, whereas for the latter they are centered around others. Now, just because an action is centered around others does not mean it is giving, just as an action that is done in solitude is not necessarily self-centered..

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Introverts start confined within themselves and extend into the world.
    Extroverts start in the world and extend into themselves.

(Put another way -- the sense of self for an introvert is often within, for an extrovert it's often without.)

An extrovert who doesn't expend energy to introspect will still be engaging the world. An introvert who doesn't expend energy to extrovert will seem withdrawn and self-absorbed. introverts thus might seem selfish... especially to extroverts.

I think extroverts can be just as selfish. They just show it in different ways, usually in how they interact with others, try to control them, what they take for themselves, etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I agree with Dana. And by the way, I'm pretty self-centered myself. I'm the perfect center for myself. Oh, but I'm not greedy or selfish. Me and my time belong to me to use as I choose. And I give everyone else the same right.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I agree with Dana... objectively speaking.

As for personal experience... I can't possibly say as, due to their natures, I don't know as many introverts as I do extroverts so any assessment would be lopsided and invalid.

MBTI
    JIxT

The main reasons that are coming to my mind regarding relationships:
    Introverts are self-centered in that they are somewhat unwilling to make sacrafices (of time, getting to know others, etc.)
    Extraverts are self-centered in that they demand attention.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    The main reasons that are coming to my mind regarding relationships:
    Introverts are self-centered in that they are somewhat unwilling to make sacrafices (of time, getting to know others, etc.)
    I have to disagree with that. Using myself and the few introverts I have known, that willingness in "getting to know others" is, to me, a misguided stereotypical assessment that's developed probably on groups like INTPc and doesn't hold water. I, for one, am fascinated with people and wish to know them. In fact, taking the point one step further, I think the odds of an "I" getting to know another person deeply and understanding them is greater than those of an "E" doing so just because of the "focus" factor. "Is" just don't care to attempt that in a group setting precisely because of their need to focus deeply without distractions.

I run my own graphics group and am constantly hearing from members that they can't believe I remember this or that little tidbit about them (their likes and dislikes, color preferences, etc) that I learned a dozen years ago when they mentioned it in passing. Why? Because I focus on them intently.... but one a time which is easy on the net.

MBTI
    JIxT

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I have to disagree with that. Using myself and the few introverts I have known, that willingness in "getting to know others" is, to me, a misguided stereotypical assessment that's developed probably on groups like INTPc and doesn't hold water. I, for one, am fascinated with people and wish to know them. In fact, taking the point one step further, I think the odds of an "I" getting to know another person deeply and understanding them is greater than those of an "E" doing so just because of the "focus" factor. "Is" just don't care to attempt that in a group setting precisely because of their need to focus deeply without distractions.

I run my own graphics group and am constantly hearing from members that they can't believe I remember this or that little tidbit about them (their likes and dislikes, color preferences, etc) that I learned a dozen years ago when they mentioned it in passing. Why? Because I focus on them intently.... but one a time which is easy on the net.
    I suppose, but extreme introverts would not pertain to your case.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    I suppose, but extreme introverts would not pertain to your case.
    Were you referring to me? (Language!) "your case"... or to my posit? I am quite introverted. I don't know how you define "extreme," but, not remembering the exact percentage but only the graph, I'm waaay left of center on the scale.

MBTI
    JIxT

So extreme they are almost pure. They would be peoplephobic and probably categorized as autistic.

Selectively mute people (do not have to be extreme introverts) could pertain to this kind of selfishness.