• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say so. Accessability makes a person signifigantly more available for interactions, and it seems that it is through interactions that some form of popularity occurrs. :)

Also- if you can identify with a person that probably helps.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, that explains your popularity :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
What makes a poster popular?

Grrrr...

My 20 cents:

There are two types of people.

Those that sincerely care, or don't care about people, and those that incessantly "care" about what other people do and think, especially in reference and regards to themselves. The former do not seek to gain popularity, though it oftentimes ensues, and generally care little of it, whereas the latter seem to be obsessed with popularity and I suspect fantasize about attaining it.

The difference I suppose comes from internal versus external means of obtaining self-worth.

Confident people with strong senses of self gain their sense of worth internally, they do not need affirmation or validation from others in establishing whether or not they are "good", "talented", "creative", lol, *worthy*.

People who lack a strong sense of self tend to gain their sense of worth externally, they need affirmation and validation from others in establishing whether or not, .....

I'm going to be honest, I've always had *serious* problems with what seems to be many if not most people's obsession with fame and popularity.

"GET YOUR OWN LIFE!!!", I want to tell them.

K, I'm done.

:)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Bombast for one.

Bluewing and I figured that out pretty quick.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius can't speak for everyone else, but most of the things that have been mentioned have no influence on how much he likes someone. For example, why the hell would he care for peoples post count, their sex, or the date they joined MBTIc ?

Some of the things people have mentioned, Falcarius even considers negative characteristic. For example, sucking up to authority. If Falcarius wanted a 'water carrier' he would buy a bucket.:doh:

A few things make people more popular with Falcarius;

Firstly, people who have an edge to their personality, and are not afraid to be different. For example, the reason Falcarius does not post on INTPc these days is because a lot of people on INTPc try too hard to fit in with the stereotype of what it is to be INTP. It annoys the hell out of him when people use MBTI to pigeonhole themselves and others.

Secondly, people being friendly towards Falcarius. It is only natural Falcarius will be friendly and like you back.

Thirdly, Falcarius relates to their posts, be it because Falcarius finds them interesting, funny, or he thinks they present an interesting points of view.

heart

heart on fire
Popularity is a relative thing. Popular where and with whom?

It only matters that one be able to find contacts on a board that give them what they are looking for there. What would it matter if one were adored by everyone on the board if they weren't getting what they were looking for from that board?

It seems only important to be popular with the people who are of an like mind with you and with whom you are looking to connect with.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
It seems only important to be popular with the people who are of an like mind with you and with whom you are looking to connect with.

Exactly! I could give a flip about power of any kind... money, status, education, intelligence, post count, site age.. etc... For me they only have to possess one thing... a positive attitude. That's what will draw me and keep me coming back.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly! I could give a flip about power of any kind... money, status, education, intelligence, post count, site age.. etc... For me they only have to possess one thing... a positive attitude. That's what will draw me and keep me coming back.

Hmm
agreed

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
You all must hate me! Not that I have not already realized, I just needed confirmation.

heart

heart on fire
You all must hate me! Not that I have not already realized, I just needed confirmation.

I am neutral. I neither like nor dislike you. You do seem a bit hungry for attention.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
And what makes a popular poster?

And do RL popular people tend to be popular online, too?

With a name like mine, I think I'm doomed to unpopularity.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Popularity is a relative thing. Popular where and with whom?

It only matters that one be able to find contacts on a board that give them what they are looking for there. What would it matter if one were adored by everyone on the board if they weren't getting what they were looking for from that board?

That's true, although what some people are looking for is to be adored by everyone on the board. But still, even though popularity is a very relative term, you can't deny that every board has certain figures who stand out a lot more than others. I think if I were to define popularity, I'd say it's a not how much a person is liked, but how well they are known.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I think if I were to define popularity, I'd say it's a not how much a person is liked, but how well they are known.

Some people get known for uh, less than positive reasons, though. They can be well known but not popular, if that makes sense. (I'm talking in general, not just online)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Uhh...I like people who agree with me. All the time. Unquestioningly.

Oh, and call me "Great Leader".

(And chocolate.)

So if any of you are running for some kind of MBTIc office, you know where to find me.

heart

heart on fire
I like indepdence of thought, individuality, solid values that one is willing to stand by, people who are novel or quirky.

EDIT: also find people interesting if they are sincere about their emotions and about how life is, cannot stand joy addicts and people who sound like a walking self help book. i.e. Stuart Smalley.