• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
For posters, I think it's the charisma, uniqueness of posts, and accessibility of the person's ideas. People who provide a spectacle or food for thought (but as long as the food isn't too thick). Even if the person is inarticulate and aggressive with no friends, they can still be "popular" in a rough sense of the word. I could give better examples for INTPc, but this is MBTIc, so I'll make do.

Ivy - Very articulate, very intelligent, fun, and lots of SJ know-how with an N personality. It's not a common combination.

CaptainChick - Very outspoken, and charismatic towards a certain crowd. Very polar in her opinions.

Edahn - Outspoken, articulate, fun, engaging, and offers a lot of theories which are accessible and cause people to think at the same time.

I think it generally needs to be some sort of combination like this. People with only one of these things don't tend to be special enough to garner more attention than average.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
As long as the food isn't too thick???

What, pray tell, do you mean???

Lol, I amn't articuleet.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am terribly disappointed that there is not a member of MBTICentral with the username 'Popular'... such a good opportunity for a bad joke which will never be realised. *sigh*

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You know what Anonymous, all in all, I am offended by your assessment of me.

It's inaccurate and paints me in what I perceive to be a negative bright light.

I think you think I am stupid or something, lol.

INTPs...

:rolli:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Currency here? It's language.

Agreed. It's the only thing we can bring to bear. We can't use looks (for the most part), we can't use commanding physical presence or charisma, we can't use money. We have words on a screen. And those who use language best are kings of a world where language is everything.

Slap it high, bro! What I say, hackum yackum! :D

Cold got to be!

Rasa

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay, so, trying to boil the concept of popularity down to its most basic element: is popularity within a group a manifestation of envy?

Hmmm...need to clarify, don't I? First, you take a group of people. Collectively, they decide which traits are admirable. The person who most consistently and charismaticaly displays these traits becomes a model for all the other group members, and wins the Ms/Mr Popular crown. It would seem logical that the other group members would envy Ms/Mr Popular since s/he is the tangible embodiment of all that the group holds most dear.

If you accept this as truth, can a popular person ever truly be liked by the other group members? Or will a shade of envy always stand between them?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
What a great point Rasa...

A healthy amount of people will not envy the popular person because they are mature enough to know that life is not that serious and it's just an illusion. Everyone has problems, and things are never as good as they seem.

And then you will have the envious ones, but envy is not only among those looking up.. Isn't envy usually most intense among people that are most similar?

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Another important thing, in addition to those already listed (like being female.) -- being a known quantity to the rest. Post, make people relate to you and acknowledge their gestures. Post count isn't as important as how often you post, where you post and how people can find a piece of themselves in what you post -- identify thought patterns that are similar to theirs, thus creating warm familiarity, and eventually, popularity.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmmm...need to clarify, don't I? First, you take a group of people. Collectively, they decide which traits are admirable. The person who most consistently and charismaticaly displays these traits becomes a model for all the other group members, and wins the Ms/Mr Popular crown. It would seem logical that the other group members would envy Ms/Mr Popular since s/he is the tangible embodiment of all that the group holds most dear.

I don't think you can generalize about someone's traits on the basis of their popularity. People don't just make friends or like someone because they fit a strict pre-existing set of criteria. I would say it has more to do with individual gut feelings and volume of interaction than anything, which is one reason you make friends at work with people you might not even like in another context.

edit: But maybe envy of supposedly popular people can be partially explained by the fact that people read into other people's reasons much more than is warranted. The first social exchanges you can't help but notice are the first ones that cause you to theorize about the motivation behind that compatibility. So you think "well, all I can tell by this person is that they're talkative and they have a nice avatar. Are you shitting me? That's the only reason these other people are friends with them?! *grumble*" But if that was the sufficient condition, why didn't it cause you to want to be friends with them too? Because no one makes friends that way! But for some reason, we think others do.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I must say I find it hard to judge wether someone is popular or not here... Who are we talking about?
And what are we talking about. I get the impression that there are some members here who get a great deal of respect, but calling them popular seems inappopriate...

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think we're talking about anyone in particular.

:) In spite of my INTP profile, I can be quite S'ish, and examples would really help me understand here. You, CC, Edahn, that helped.
Could it be that age plays a role, and thus that identification is more important than admiration?

LucrativeSid

If you've shared your picture on the forum, and you are found to be attractive, I'm sure you'll get way more attention than you would have otherwise, but it's not crucial.

As Dale Carnegie says in "How to Win Friends and Influence People", "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." I'm sure we can see a lot of people going about both methods here. If you're good enough, you can impress people, but they won't be your friends. You'll just be creating groupies and enemies.

To be popular, I think you should be unique and cool. You should have something that people can always count on you for. And it helps to make other people feel like you respect them and care about them. And if you love a person, they will see you as a God.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that which makes a person popular online is pretty similar to that which makes someone popular IRL.