User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

For posters, I think it's the charisma, uniqueness of posts, and accessibility of the person's ideas. People who provide a spectacle or food for thought (but as long as the food isn't too thick). Even if the person is inarticulate and aggressive with no friends, they can still be "popular" in a rough sense of the word. I could give better examples for INTPc, but this is MBTIc, so I'll make do.

Ivy - Very articulate, very intelligent, fun, and lots of SJ know-how with an N personality. It's not a common combination.

CaptainChick - Very outspoken, and charismatic towards a certain crowd. Very polar in her opinions.

Edahn - Outspoken, articulate, fun, engaging, and offers a lot of theories which are accessible and cause people to think at the same time.

I think it generally needs to be some sort of combination like this. People with only one of these things don't tend to be special enough to garner more attention than average.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

As long as the food isn't too thick???

What, pray tell, do you mean???

Lol, I amn't articuleet.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am terribly disappointed that there is not a member of MBTICentral with the username 'Popular'... such a good opportunity for a bad joke which will never be realised. *sigh*
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You know what Anonymous, all in all, I am offended by your assessment of me.

It's inaccurate and paints me in what I perceive to be a negative bright light.

I think you think I am stupid or something, lol.

INTPs...

:rolli:
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Currency here? It's language.
    Agreed. It's the only thing we can bring to bear. We can't use looks (for the most part), we can't use commanding physical presence or charisma, we can't use money. We have words on a screen. And those who use language best are kings of a world where language is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Slap it high, bro! What I say, hackum yackum!
    Cold got to be!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

Okay, so, trying to boil the concept of popularity down to its most basic element: is popularity within a group a manifestation of envy?

Hmmm...need to clarify, don't I? First, you take a group of people. Collectively, they decide which traits are admirable. The person who most consistently and charismaticaly displays these traits becomes a model for all the other group members, and wins the Ms/Mr Popular crown. It would seem logical that the other group members would envy Ms/Mr Popular since s/he is the tangible embodiment of all that the group holds most dear.

If you accept this as truth, can a popular person ever truly be liked by the other group members? Or will a shade of envy always stand between them?

MBTI
    INFP

What a great point Rasa...

A healthy amount of people will not envy the popular person because they are mature enough to know that life is not that serious and it's just an illusion. Everyone has problems, and things are never as good as they seem.

And then you will have the envious ones, but envy is not only among those looking up.. Isn't envy usually most intense among people that are most similar?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Another important thing, in addition to those already listed (like being female.) -- being a known quantity to the rest. Post, make people relate to you and acknowledge their gestures. Post count isn't as important as how often you post, where you post and how people can find a piece of themselves in what you post -- identify thought patterns that are similar to theirs, thus creating warm familiarity, and eventually, popularity.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    Hmmm...need to clarify, don't I? First, you take a group of people. Collectively, they decide which traits are admirable. The person who most consistently and charismaticaly displays these traits becomes a model for all the other group members, and wins the Ms/Mr Popular crown. It would seem logical that the other group members would envy Ms/Mr Popular since s/he is the tangible embodiment of all that the group holds most dear.
    I don't think you can generalize about someone's traits on the basis of their popularity. People don't just make friends or like someone because they fit a strict pre-existing set of criteria. I would say it has more to do with individual gut feelings and volume of interaction than anything, which is one reason you make friends at work with people you might not even like in another context.

edit: But maybe envy of supposedly popular people can be partially explained by the fact that people read into other people's reasons much more than is warranted. The first social exchanges you can't help but notice are the first ones that cause you to theorize about the motivation behind that compatibility. So you think "well, all I can tell by this person is that they're talkative and they have a nice avatar. Are you shitting me? That's the only reason these other people are friends with them?! *grumble*" But if that was the sufficient condition, why didn't it cause you to want to be friends with them too? Because no one makes friends that way! But for some reason, we think others do.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    type

being liked. (which does not preclude being envied.)
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland