User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I think that how people treat you is a major player.

Who do people look to when they are in need (of guidance, entertainment, information)?

They look to someone that is popular and powerful. Not BECAUSE they are popular and powerful.. but rather... because they have what people need (this is not a bad thing.. neutral), they are popular.. because they HAVE THE GOODS. They deliver on time every time.
    Okay, I got it. I think. Popularity is proportional to one's ability to make you feel secure (everything's great: humor, information, delivery) or insecure (everything sucks: aggression, threats of being ostracized, threat of losing status).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Okay, I got it. I think. Popularity is proportional to one's ability to make you feel secure (everything's great: humor, information, delivery) or insecure (everything sucks: aggression, threats of being ostracized, threat of losing status).
    Have you checked out "Beauty and the Geek"? You'd be intrigued by the interplay there.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

That makes sense for RL. I suspect there's more to it than that (which I can't articulate yet), but I can buy that.

On forums, hmm, I'll have to think about it a bit longer.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    Are you guys saying that you actually allow yourselves to be manipulated by a person's who just wants to get popular? Thats pretty sad. Popularity should be judged off content, post count, competence, and unconventionality. I thought the social system here would have an intelligent foundation.
    I think you're missing the point. We're not trying to figure out how things SHOULD run, we're trying to describe how they DO run. Either way, no one said what you've inferred, and then conveniently argued against. To criticize this place for a lack of intelligence is pretty ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Have you checked out "Beauty and the Geek"? You'd be intrigued by the interplay there.
    Yeah. I know the guy who won it! He really IS a geek.

Don't worry, I socked him in the stomach.

MBTI
    JIxT

I think you're missing the point. We're not trying to figure out how things SHOULD run, we're trying to describe how they DO run. Either way, no one said what you've inferred, and then conveniently argued against. To criticize this place for a lack of intelligence is pretty ironic.
    Never settle for less than ideal. The only thing that matters about the current status of things is that it sucks. Expect theorizing from an INTJ.

I will convieniently ignore your last statment.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Yeah. I know the guy who won it! He really IS a geek.

Don't worry, I socked him in the stomach.
    You didn't kick beach sand on him and flex your muscles in his face while the pretty girls laughed cruelly?!? DUDE.... You let me down.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    Never settle for less than ideal. The only thing that matters about the current status of things is that it sucks. Expect theorizing from an INTJ.

I will convieniently ignore your last statment.
    I guess we just have different interests. I'm more interested in studying a system rather than trying to reconfigure it to satisfy my own personal value system. I get more insight into my own character from finding out how things, and my own mind, work.

MBTI
    JIxT

I guess we just have different interests. I'm more interested in studying a system rather than trying to reconfigure it to satisfy my own personal value system. I get more insight into my own character from finding out how things, and my own mind, work.
    That's cool.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Lots of posts (People with a lot of posts will be seen more by people, and get more familiar)

Having some odd quality (This includes a particular posting style they repeat a lot, see Omnibrook on INTPcentral with those long well of test rants. Again, someone with an odd quality will stick out more and be more noticable.)

Asshole males and trolls, if they are act that way with a particular style, seem to get to be very popular if they do it with a "It's just the way I am" style.

Taking about sex (See AtillatheHunny on INTPcentral, though less so nowadays. some other members there also seem to mention sex more ,and seem ot have some popularity because of it.)

Having already been popular for awhile (People will respond more, which sets up positive feedback.)

Female does seem to help on a lot of forums, though less so here.

Some others seem harder to work out, but there are certain patterns that some popular people seem to follow (The "woman who talks about kids a lot"ish pattern seems to be one.)

Popularity, I think, comes from providing a resource (or several) for the forum that many people admire, enjoy and appreciate. Popularity involves respect for the popular person in question, respect shared by many. If someone has a lot of widespread respect and affection, it probably means they have qualities that make them a capable, admirable, enjoyable (on whatever level) person overall, so popular people tend to become popular because of the capital they bring to the table, because of their qualities. They also acquire capital/influence during their stay at the forum, or the fraternity, or the geek-club, a capital that takes the form of the respect and esteem of others.

I think to produce goods you probably have to simply be a person with qualities that people esteem. In many instances, the qualities are the goods. I think they're inseparably intertwined; the goods hint at the qualities which produced them, and the qualities make themselves apparent in the goods, you know? Yeah, I think you get it. For example an open, intelligent, insightful and honest poster will display those qualities in posts, which people enjoy... so, what the heck am I getting at? Right. Qualities = goods.

Edahn can flex his muscles for the girls who laugh cruelly... Pink and I will be hoppin' the concession stand and assessing the cute male passers-by!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love