User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I edited my post, but yeah, that's what I was thinking. People in positions of power are either feared or have certain assets (good groomers, access to power/information, access to friends).
    lol, when I read stuff like this I think I must live in a different world. My conclusions are entirely different. RL popular people - from what I've observed, they tend to be self-confident, good sense of humour, socially adept, interesting conversations. That sort of thing. Maybe I'm completely missing an undercurrent of social interaction (eh, which is quite possible - I tend to be one of the quiet observers and almost never at the centre of any social circle).

This is absolutely true. I tend to make friends with people in power pretty quickly and I did on INTPc. It's not a conscious thing that I masterminded. (I swear!) Is that status by association, like inherited status?
    Um. This is another example where you and I experienced pretty much the same thing but our conclusions are way different. I have a close circle of friends on there, sure, but I wouldn't say I'm a popular poster by any means. And I'm definitely not a popular poster here, even though most of that circle posts here a bit. I guess I don't really see it as a power thing - but I admit I'm not the most cluey person with social interactions, so it's possible I'm missing something here.
    Last edited by bluebell; 04-22-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: being retarded with quote tags again
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Currency here? It's language.
    HM. I'm trying to see how that would work.

Money is something you accumulate by virtue of your effort or by inheritance.
    Language... Hm. Information, maybe? You need to be smart to pick up on what's going on, or amass information through association.

Money can be used to purchase things for yourself.
    Language... I don't see it. Although information can be used to climb up the social ladder by picking fights with scapegoats and defending beloved, high-status or preferred members.

Money can be used to groom others.
    Language can definitely be used to groom others. Information can be exchanged as a gift, for sure.

MBTI
    INFP

I think that how people treat you is a major player.

Who do people look to when they are in need (of guidance, entertainment, information)?

They look to someone that is popular and powerful. Not BECAUSE they are popular and powerful.. but rather... because they have what people need (this is not a bad thing.. neutral), they are popular.. because they HAVE THE GOODS. They deliver on time every time.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

HM. I'm trying to see how that would work.

Money is something you accumulate by virtue of your effort or by inheritance.
    Language... Hm. Information, maybe? You need to be smart to pick up on what's going on, or amass information through association.

Money can be used to purchase things for yourself.
    Language... I don't see it. Although information can be used to climb up the social ladder by picking fights with scapegoats and defending beloved, high-status or preferred members.

Money can be used to groom others.
    Language can definitely be used to groom others. Information can be exchanged as a gift, for sure.
    You don't even have to be in the Know. You just have to be able to manipulate words to achieve optimal reception. I don't mean to imply conscious manipulation of others. Rather, I posit that the best speakers are the ones that are usually in the top tier. Look at Huey Long. He practically ran Louisiana as a fiefdom (he called himself Emperor) before someone assassinated him. He had amazing oratory powers and the ability to jack into peoples' innate fears and wants.

So, that's what I meant by language being currency. Information would certainly apply too, though I would assume it would be secondary to the WAY something is communicated.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    lol, when I read stuff like this I think I must live in a different world. My conclusions are entirely different. RL popular people - from what I've observed, they tend to be self-confident, good sense of humour, socially adept, interesting conversations. That sort of thing. Maybe I'm completely missing an undercurrent of social interaction (eh, which is quite possible - I tend to be one of the quiet observers and almost never at the centre of any social circle).
    I agree. I was trying to think of that as an asset to offer people. The asset (I'm gonna go out on a limb here) is security. Usually. Confidence and humor tend to signal to people that it's okay to rely on that person and it's okay to relax. Just as anxious people can spread their anxiety, some confident people do just the opposite. MacGuffin's a good example of that. So's Ivy, I think. The social adeptness is a marker that tells you that the person can chill a volatile situation. And the interesting conversation is something to grow from.

Um. This is another example where you and I experienced pretty much the same thing but our conclusions are way different. I have a close circle of friends on there, sure, but I wouldn't say I'm a popular poster by any means. And I'm definitely not a popular poster here, even though most of that circle posts here a bit. I guess I don't really see it as a power thing - but I admit I'm not the most cluey person with social interactions, so it's possible I'm missing something here.
    I wonder if you're perceived as high-status by the people who know you're a mod at INTPc...?

MBTI
    JIxT

Are you guys saying that you actually allow yourselves to be manipulated by a person's who just wants to get popular? Thats pretty sad. Popularity should be judged off content, post count, competence, and unconventionality. I thought the social system here would have an intelligent foundation. hehe, I have no respect for authority.

MBTI
    ESFJ

What makes a poster popular?
    Proximity to me.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wonder if you're perceived as high-status by the people who know you're a mod at INTPc...?
    I had forgotten bluebell was a mod over there until you mentioned it. I don't know about high status. I'm kind of oblivious to that to some degree. I just know I like bluebell because she's nice and she's got good sense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Unlikely, either here or at INTPc.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Proximity to me.
    Slap it high, bro! What I say, hackum yackum!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious