• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I edited my post, but yeah, that's what I was thinking. People in positions of power are either feared or have certain assets (good groomers, access to power/information, access to friends).

lol, when I read stuff like this I think I must live in a different world. My conclusions are entirely different. RL popular people - from what I've observed, they tend to be self-confident, good sense of humour, socially adept, interesting conversations. That sort of thing. Maybe I'm completely missing an undercurrent of social interaction (eh, which is quite possible - I tend to be one of the quiet observers and almost never at the centre of any social circle).

This is absolutely true. I tend to make friends with people in power pretty quickly and I did on INTPc. It's not a conscious thing that I masterminded. (I swear!) Is that status by association, like inherited status?

Um. This is another example where you and I experienced pretty much the same thing but our conclusions are way different. I have a close circle of friends on there, sure, but I wouldn't say I'm a popular poster by any means. And I'm definitely not a popular poster here, even though most of that circle posts here a bit. I guess I don't really see it as a power thing - but I admit I'm not the most cluey person with social interactions, so it's possible I'm missing something here.

Last edited:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Currency here? It's language.

HM. I'm trying to see how that would work.

Money is something you accumulate by virtue of your effort or by inheritance.
Language... Hm. Information, maybe? You need to be smart to pick up on what's going on, or amass information through association.

Money can be used to purchase things for yourself.
Language... I don't see it. Although information can be used to climb up the social ladder by picking fights with scapegoats and defending beloved, high-status or preferred members.

Money can be used to groom others.
Language can definitely be used to groom others. :party2: Information can be exchanged as a gift, for sure.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that how people treat you is a major player.

Who do people look to when they are in need (of guidance, entertainment, information)?

They look to someone that is popular and powerful. Not BECAUSE they are popular and powerful.. but rather... because they have what people need (this is not a bad thing.. neutral), they are popular.. because they HAVE THE GOODS. They deliver on time every time.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
HM. I'm trying to see how that would work.

Money is something you accumulate by virtue of your effort or by inheritance.
Language... Hm. Information, maybe? You need to be smart to pick up on what's going on, or amass information through association.

Money can be used to purchase things for yourself.
Language... I don't see it. Although information can be used to climb up the social ladder by picking fights with scapegoats and defending beloved, high-status or preferred members.

Money can be used to groom others.
Language can definitely be used to groom others. :party2: Information can be exchanged as a gift, for sure.

You don't even have to be in the Know. You just have to be able to manipulate words to achieve optimal reception. I don't mean to imply conscious manipulation of others. Rather, I posit that the best speakers are the ones that are usually in the top tier. Look at Huey Long. He practically ran Louisiana as a fiefdom (he called himself Emperor) before someone assassinated him. He had amazing oratory powers and the ability to jack into peoples' innate fears and wants.

So, that's what I meant by language being currency. Information would certainly apply too, though I would assume it would be secondary to the WAY something is communicated.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
lol, when I read stuff like this I think I must live in a different world. My conclusions are entirely different. RL popular people - from what I've observed, they tend to be self-confident, good sense of humour, socially adept, interesting conversations. That sort of thing. Maybe I'm completely missing an undercurrent of social interaction (eh, which is quite possible - I tend to be one of the quiet observers and almost never at the centre of any social circle).

I agree. I was trying to think of that as an asset to offer people. The asset (I'm gonna go out on a limb here) is security. Usually. Confidence and humor tend to signal to people that it's okay to rely on that person and it's okay to relax. Just as anxious people can spread their anxiety, some confident people do just the opposite. MacGuffin's a good example of that. So's Ivy, I think. The social adeptness is a marker that tells you that the person can chill a volatile situation. And the interesting conversation is something to grow from.

Um. This is another example where you and I experienced pretty much the same thing but our conclusions are way different. I have a close circle of friends on there, sure, but I wouldn't say I'm a popular poster by any means. And I'm definitely not a popular poster here, even though most of that circle posts here a bit. I guess I don't really see it as a power thing - but I admit I'm not the most cluey person with social interactions, so it's possible I'm missing something here.

I wonder if you're perceived as high-status by the people who know you're a mod at INTPc...?

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Are you guys saying that you actually allow yourselves to be manipulated by a person's who just wants to get popular? Thats pretty sad. Popularity should be judged off content, post count, competence, and unconventionality. I thought the social system here would have an intelligent foundation. hehe, I have no respect for authority.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wonder if you're perceived as high-status by the people who know you're a mod at INTPc...?
I had forgotten bluebell was a mod over there until you mentioned it. I don't know about high status. I'm kind of oblivious to that to some degree. I just know I like bluebell because she's nice and she's got good sense.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think that how people treat you is a major player.

Who do people look to when they are in need (of guidance, entertainment, information)?

They look to someone that is popular and powerful. Not BECAUSE they are popular and powerful.. but rather... because they have what people need (this is not a bad thing.. neutral), they are popular.. because they HAVE THE GOODS. They deliver on time every time.

Okay, I got it. I think. Popularity is proportional to one's ability to make you feel secure (everything's great: humor, information, delivery) or insecure (everything sucks: aggression, threats of being ostracized, threat of losing status).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I got it. I think. Popularity is proportional to one's ability to make you feel secure (everything's great: humor, information, delivery) or insecure (everything sucks: aggression, threats of being ostracized, threat of losing status).

Have you checked out "Beauty and the Geek"? You'd be intrigued by the interplay there.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP

That makes sense for RL. I suspect there's more to it than that (which I can't articulate yet), but I can buy that.

On forums, hmm, I'll have to think about it a bit longer.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Are you guys saying that you actually allow yourselves to be manipulated by a person's who just wants to get popular? Thats pretty sad. Popularity should be judged off content, post count, competence, and unconventionality. I thought the social system here would have an intelligent foundation.

I think you're missing the point. We're not trying to figure out how things SHOULD run, we're trying to describe how they DO run. Either way, no one said what you've inferred, and then conveniently argued against. To criticize this place for a lack of intelligence is pretty ironic.

Have you checked out "Beauty and the Geek"? You'd be intrigued by the interplay there.

Yeah. I know the guy who won it! He really IS a geek.

Don't worry, I socked him in the stomach.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I think you're missing the point. We're not trying to figure out how things SHOULD run, we're trying to describe how they DO run. Either way, no one said what you've inferred, and then conveniently argued against. To criticize this place for a lack of intelligence is pretty ironic.
Never settle for less than ideal. The only thing that matters about the current status of things is that it sucks. Expect theorizing from an INTJ.

I will convieniently ignore your last statment.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. I know the guy who won it! He really IS a geek.

Don't worry, I socked him in the stomach.

You didn't kick beach sand on him and flex your muscles in his face while the pretty girls laughed cruelly?!? DUDE.... You let me down.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Never settle for less than ideal. The only thing that matters about the current status of things is that it sucks. Expect theorizing from an INTJ.

I will convieniently ignore your last statment.

I guess we just have different interests. I'm more interested in studying a system rather than trying to reconfigure it to satisfy my own personal value system. I get more insight into my own character from finding out how things, and my own mind, work.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I guess we just have different interests. I'm more interested in studying a system rather than trying to reconfigure it to satisfy my own personal value system. I get more insight into my own character from finding out how things, and my own mind, work.

That's cool.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Lots of posts (People with a lot of posts will be seen more by people, and get more familiar)

Having some odd quality (This includes a particular posting style they repeat a lot, see Omnibrook on INTPcentral with those long well of test rants. Again, someone with an odd quality will stick out more and be more noticable.)

Asshole males and trolls, if they are act that way with a particular style, seem to get to be very popular if they do it with a "It's just the way I am" style.

Taking about sex (See AtillatheHunny on INTPcentral, though less so nowadays. some other members there also seem to mention sex more ,and seem ot have some popularity because of it.)

Having already been popular for awhile (People will respond more, which sets up positive feedback.)

Female does seem to help on a lot of forums, though less so here.

Some others seem harder to work out, but there are certain patterns that some popular people seem to follow (The "woman who talks about kids a lot"ish pattern seems to be one.)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Popularity, I think, comes from providing a resource (or several) for the forum that many people admire, enjoy and appreciate. Popularity involves respect for the popular person in question, respect shared by many. If someone has a lot of widespread respect and affection, it probably means they have qualities that make them a capable, admirable, enjoyable (on whatever level) person overall, so popular people tend to become popular because of the capital they bring to the table, because of their qualities. They also acquire capital/influence during their stay at the forum, or the fraternity, or the geek-club, a capital that takes the form of the respect and esteem of others.

I think to produce goods you probably have to simply be a person with qualities that people esteem. In many instances, the qualities are the goods. I think they're inseparably intertwined; the goods hint at the qualities which produced them, and the qualities make themselves apparent in the goods, you know? Yeah, I think you get it. For example an open, intelligent, insightful and honest poster will display those qualities in posts, which people enjoy... so, what the heck am I getting at? Right. Qualities = goods.

Edahn can flex his muscles for the girls who laugh cruelly... Pink and I will be hoppin' the concession stand and assessing the cute male passers-by!