User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Limits

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Limits

    Parents provide limits for children, and parents provide boundaries for children. So naturally we orientate ourselves by the limits provided by our parents. In fact we feel secure within these limits.

    And we feel so familiar and so secure within these limits, we can't see outside of them.

    And although the limits are artificial, our perceptions are altered by living so long within their limits.

    And so we look for artificial limits such as astrology or MBTI to feel at home.

  2. #2
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Are we 13 or 30-something?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #3
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Whippersnappers.

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Are we 13 or 30-something?
    I think that once our perceptions are altered, it is very difficult to see our way out.

    For instance, the Enlightenment took place over two centuries in the West because it required a change in perceptions.

    Yet still we have pre-Enlightenment thinking like astrology and MBTI.

  5. #5
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    and where does the legal system fall in this? or the laws of science?

    does this mean that if I kill those who piss me off I am truly free?

    or if I ignore the limits gravity shall no longer effect me?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #6
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and where does the legal system fall in this? or the laws of science?

    does this mean that if I kill those who piss me off I am truly free?

    or if I ignore the limits gravity shall no longer effect me?
    I think there are artificial limits like astrology and mbti, and limits in reality such as astronomy and psychometrics.

    And I think we can develop a taste for the real over the artificial.

    Fortunately the Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteen centuries, gave us a taste for the real over superstition.

    For instance, the Enlightenment gave us a taste for evidence based medicine over speculation and spells.

  7. #7
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    there are real limits in life though, which is why, as long as my arm is attached to me, I won't be able to lick my elbow (I've tried many times and can't manage to succeed)... these limits aren't a vestige of childishness, they're merely a fact

    limits can be fact as well as fiction... not all are arbitrary
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #8
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    there are real limits in life though, which is why, as long as my arm is attached to me, I won't be able to lick my elbow (I've tried many times and can't manage to succeed)... these limits aren't a vestige of childishness, they're merely a fact

    limits can be fact as well as fiction... not all are arbitrary
    Sure, there are evidence based limits and cultural limits.

  9. #9
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think that once our perceptions are altered, it is very difficult to see our way out.

    For instance, the Enlightenment took place over two centuries in the West because it required a change in perceptions.

    Yet still we have pre-Enlightenment thinking like astrology and MBTI.
    Man is still a toddler. We crave parameters to make us feel safe. It takes much time to evolve our consciousness. Perhaps in another 5 thousand years, we'll reach puberty.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #10
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Man is still a toddler. We crave parameters to make us feel safe. It takes much time to evolve our consciousness. Perhaps in another 5 thousand years, we'll reach puberty.
    Oh please, we have modern science, modern medicine, modern technology, modern economics, liberal democracy, the abolition of institutional slavey, the emancipation of women and the freeing of children from child abuse.

    We have left superstion behind except in this delightful corner of the world called Cenral.

Similar Threads

  1. Is logic limited?
    By Oaky in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
  2. Who and what limits your "type strength"?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
  3. Limitations of Type
    By Oberon in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
  4. Limit families to two children?
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO