• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Far is Too Far to Think Ahead?

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting topic. I find it increasingly difficult to think ahead past a month out. I may have a loose year plan but so many things could happen! I like to have contingency plans A thru V and it is just too hard the further out I plan.

Don't ask me what I have accomplished with my life, please.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When there are too many variables to think about. Example would be something like "What do you want to be when you grow up."

If it is something like "I'm going to get X in a few months," or I am going to do something on a specific day in a few months, I would not consider those as far.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In 50 years, I'll probably be dead so that is probably too long.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It depends on whether I think the situation will be pleasant or a chore. If it's the latter, any time earlier than 5 minutes before it happens will be too soon to be thinking about it. I am a Perceiver after all :D

G

garbage

I think years and years down the road, but I don't expect my plans to unfold down to the last detail. Basically, the further down I think, the less accurate I expect my plans to be.

I'm usually not thinking any more than 5 years ahead, but there are instances where I'm thinking farther than that.

Thinking in such a way also helps me in the present moment--"how much is this going to matter in 5 years?" certainly puts any worry into perspective, and thinking about a future goal mobilizes me in the present.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's probably too far ahead if there's really nothing you can do about it and it's making you anxious.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Depends on what you are thinking, only answer i can give is when there comes so many variables that it becomes impossible to actually foresee what will likely happen(how likely, it depends on the degree of importance of getting it right), then its pointless trying to figure out what might happen. When its about things i can effect, i like to think how i could improve my chances to get the desired result, from start to finish.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think ahead by speculating about things and imagining what could happen, but as far as actually making plans? like a week.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm a head case in this regard.

I like to keep my options open so i can indulge in being spontaneous but i still like to plan for all eventualities which may or may not happen.

In my early 20's i lived day to day then it went to thinking about the long term future. Now i save for the things i want but realise i may not get what i want but either way, my life is good and i'm grateful i can say i've done a lot and took some chances.

Oh, to answer the OP .. I'd say 2 years is too far.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Projecting, thinking or forecasting - infinite
Actual planning - 1-2 years

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMO, you should simply think as short term as possible.

Some things simply require you to think ahead more than others.

I can't really give a real number for this because it wouldn't apply to everything.

Like, say, 2 years may be good for thinking about when you want to own a new car, 2 years obviously wouldn't be the best for planning out your schedule for mowing the lawn...

I don't know, I may be over-complicating or misinterpreting the question. :shrug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to like to "daydream ahead" without a set vision... Planning and implementing- well, you know me, day by day. If a daydream sticks for long enough the day by day planning will turn into a reality. "Too far" doesn't really exist, I don't think.. However, if you can't stray from the plan then you've got a problem. Also, there can be such a thing as "too much." I tend to think that heavy duty daydreaming and planning is an indication that something in my life needs to change anyway, if it has to be bad enough that I'm living in my own future world all the time, then maybe it is best that I start acting on my thoughts.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
never?

i tend to think in infinites :/

realistically, i think 15 years is about my limit. though i do already have a an idea or two stockpiled for my retirement. on a day to day basis... no, never mind, i am usually thinking very very far ahead. because i tend to think about global implications. everything connects.

with my family i am usually thinking about the future a few days down the road, or maybe half a year or so. maybe a couple years. vacations and weddings and things like that. i like to think about events. but family is static so i don't think much about long time with them. family just is. with my SO i have very clear time thinking. there is now, and then there is the event-timespace like with the family, and then there is the looong down-the-road implications of our relationship. all of which i generally think about stacked on top of one another. years as spirals. and then my career, well, i think i am usually thinking about 10 years in the future about that. when i have gotten through school and am beyond entry and am settled, will i like it? very hard to know. this probably gives me problems deciding.

and then in terms of me, i usually think in lifetime, because i am concerned with what my overall significance in the world will be. i need to have a reason to exist that is bigger than myself.

sculpting

I tend to avarage:
10-15 years out for retirement planning and very large purchase decisions

3-5 years on global direction, 3 months on day to day details and logistics

1 month on plannning trips

2 months on detailed project timelines at work.

Typically things very far out are simplisctic flowcharts that are easily modified but set a long term course. Things that are closer in are very detailed yet flexible flowcharts with lists.

Usehername

On a mission
I deal with my money by thinking "In ten years from now, how would I have liked my 25yo self to spend this?"
This means I spend money on activities that keep me healthy and social (like group sports, etc.) and save it if it's a random thing that isn't necessary.

I deal with my personal life and career plans by having 5 year plans to make my goals more visible and real. These are highly adjustable and adaptable. And they're related to benchmarks that I can control (finish degree, etc.) rather than things I can't control (figuring out where I want to live in 5 years).

I'm still a student so I have semester goals, and yearly benchmarks.

As a teacher I have my daily plans figured out at the beginning of the semester so I can focus on my grad studies and mostly execute and respond in teaching, rather than figure out plans throughout the semester.

I figure out the skeleton of my grad school plans as soon as I get my syllabi (major projects are due x date, etc.) and plan my time weekly. This includes time for exercising and making social plans so I don't get pulled into the deep end of school without a release.

Mole

Permabanned
Limited Horizons

Curious of individual interpretations.

We can think ahead as far as we can think back.

For instance if we can look back 3,000 years to our origins in Ancient Greece, we can look forward 3,000 years.

This is the advantage of belonging to a civilization 3,000 years old.

However all the replies I have read are narcissistic and so have limited horizons. And limited horizons are claustrophobic and produce anxiety.