User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

When thinking ahead constantly means creating a set of problems to fix instead of actually facing stuff coming at you from the environment. If we all did that we'd pretty much all be living in virtual words of our own, some kind of de facto solipsism through the sheer size and topography of the mediation space between individuals.

As technological beings it is only natural that we modify the environment but it should go in the direction of lessening our various ills rather than turning a straight line into an inextricable puzzle that can only be solved with the help of a labyrinth's map that is constantly in the making.

I'm sure that type of image could be used to describe humanity at large as well but well, metaphors are made to be overexploited

The issue is the tools we create, mental and physical pretty soon become our environment and new sets of problems (in the neutral sense) emerge from these and then we troublefix it and adapt but the same thing happen again and again and again. A bit like windows, no matter how much u want to make it bug free the very nature of the system means that you are building everything upon a stack of cards.

In the case of human individuality and human society we often underestimate the role of pure mechanics and assume we just pick and choose everything. But it is more like a self evolved self growing and expanding stack of cards, where everything is in an equilibrium allowing the castle to be stable simply because only what worked at each step was retained and transmitted. But the system is too complex and we fool ourselves into believing OUR foreplanning and our attempts at troubleshotting have a major role in the unfolding of events when in the end it's more of a 'what works works' kind of deal, so we try to diverge the flow of the nil and only manage to lose water and crops in the process, killing peasants and putting the water flow on a sub optimal path for a few eons before it sets itself right by itself again.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I think years and years down the road, but I don't expect my plans to unfold down to the last detail. Basically, the further down I think, the less accurate I expect my plans to be.

I'm usually not thinking any more than 5 years ahead, but there are instances where I'm thinking farther than that.

Thinking in such a way also helps me in the present moment--"how much is this going to matter in 5 years?" certainly puts any worry into perspective, and thinking about a future goal mobilizes me in the present.
    The trick is to plan stuff based on pure statistics and not to be too specific. But then immortality is a plus.
    Like if you say '"i plan to see an alignement of 10 planets with my own eyes' u'd better not define which solar system, from how far, how you define seeing, if you mean your natural biological eyes as 'your own eyes' etc.

A working knowledge of the state of science is also a plus to differenciate the diverse type of obstacles (ranging from 'impossible based on current physics' to 'impossible because not even internally consistent'. Then there is the likelihood of said events occuring 'naturally' and the type of factors that would act as an enzyme, a catalyst to the event\situation.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I'd say it's more about knowing oneself enough to know when planning is required within one's environment. Sometimes the flow of things is sufficient. Now the difficulty is to break out of a way of doing things. To be cliché for 'Js' not to plan when it isnt needed and for Ps to plan when it is. Then we can just focus on what we're good at and create some competitive advantage or even happiness. Crazier things have happened.

... In theory.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I'd say it's more about knowing oneself enough to know when planning is required within one's environment. Sometimes the flow of things is sufficient. Now the difficulty is to break out of a way of doing things. To be cliché for 'Js' not to plan when it isnt needed and for Ps to plan when it is. Then we can just focus on what we're good at and create some competitive advantage or even happiness. Crazier things have happened.
    This is very true.
    I plan not for the sake of planning but because I have not yet reached the daily life I want - if and when that ever happens, i suspect I will be much happier planning only when it is needed, but I think it will still be natural for me to imagine future possibilities 5, 10 or 20 years down the line, I just won't be doing it as often or doing as much planning.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

In a general sense, I muse about decades and decades ahead (if not centuries), but that tends to be in the context of wondering how the world/society will be by that point, and whether the world will be turned upside-down such that any things that I am planning on right now might in the end be futile. (i.e. If everything turns upside down and becomes rather chaotic, then the fact that I have money in savings might be completely moot if that money in 40 years holds no value whatsoever based on how things are in 40 years. This doesn't stop me from still putting money in savings, as it is important to me to account for my future as best I can, but at the same time, in the back of my head... I'm not exactly counting on it, because who knows what the world will be like in 40 years). So: I somewhat plan for my 'survival' in the long term, but I'm not consumed with that because I think too much can change, including the fact that I might not make it that long.

Planning: I definitely have a general idea of what I want to do a year or two in advance, as far as vacations go. Sometimes I'll plan out certain trips, because with limited vacation days, I have to do that if I actually want to go to these places I want to go to. And I have to logistically figure out when I can do what. But I also leave 'flex' days available for more spontaneous things as well.

General activities/ day to day stuff? I regularly plan a week or two out, and like to know in a general sense what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks; I don't care about specifics, I just like to know I'll be meeting up with person X on day Y, and we'll figure out the details the day-of, sometimes. I also totally factor in 'do-nothing' days, though, and have plenty of those.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    There's too far? There's news to me...

I don't think there is too far to look ahead but there may be ways to think far ahead that are not appropriate and so cause anxiety.... or thinking in the future so much that you don't exist at all in the present.
    You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Personally, I'm surprised that you're the first one to say so in this thread. As long as you're not neglecting the present, it's good to look ahead.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Think infinitely far ahead.

Planning things? Concrete, "I will do this" about a year to two ahead. I have very long-range goals in mind but the way to get to them becomes clearer as I go toward them. Like seeing a mountain in the distance but not being able to see the exact road because there are hills and ridges to travel over first.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

NPcomplete

I forecast and speculate infinitely ahead into the future and usually have visions of what I want in the future. Then I figure out how to get there. That said, rather than planning in terms of time spans, I use "chunks of stuff to do" as my milestones. Meticulous long-term planning will only make me anxious because of the possibility that I overlooked something. Then there's always Murphy's Law. I'm also quite good at improvising so my way has worked well so far.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's okay to look ahead as far as you possibly can without losing perspective on what is.

Compartmentalization is key.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    STP

I dont generally put timelines to my thoughts. So i really have no clue. I just have thoughts, not really plans.
    Im out, its been fun