User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some Native American societies advocate thinking ahead 7 generations. This way, you assess the impact of your actions (or inaction) well into the future, to avoid saddling future generations with your generation's short-sighted mistakes.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

My normal mode of thinking is to imagine what things could be like anywhere from several months from now to five or more years from now (my vision of what could happen / what I want to work toward). To me, thinking about a month or two from now is what I call short term planning, thinking about a year or two from now is fairly normal, and then on less frequent ocasions I think further out than that if I'm not happy with my current direction based on what I think the future will be like on the current path. Nearly any decision that I think is an important one I do think in terms of lifetime tho (not a specific number, just will I be happy with this decision over the course of my lifetime).

But how far is too far to think about? I'd probably say a couple hundred years (its good to plan for future generations, but of course the further out you go, the less predicable things get), but if medicine gives us imortality in my lifetime I suppose I'd have to re-evaluate that.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

There's too far? There's news to me...

I don't think there is too far to look ahead but there may be ways to think far ahead that are not appropriate and so cause anxiety.... or thinking in the future so much that you don't exist at all in the present.

ThatGirl

I tend to think too far ahead. I cant right now, because I want to later.

I am learning I need to provide for the moment. Its weird, counter intuitive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Well if you think in linear time than everything is too far. Now if you start to understand that life is none linear and time is only a thinking construct of the mind then you stop wasting your energy on thinking that there is a time limit on thinking too far or too litte. For as time is of the mind then it is the projection that is created from the illusion that is seen before the physical vehichle that is the hologram of this reality. However once you factor in that time is meaningless in the real context of how ones spirit evolves then it is infinite and you realize you are more than the sum total of everything your mind could ever think about and hence there is no such thing as thinking too far, its a limited belief of the mind.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Well if you think in linear time than everything is too far. Now if you start to understand that life is none linear and time is only a thinking construct of the mind then you stop wasting your energy on thinking that there is a time limit on thinking too far or too litte. For as time is of the mind then it is the projection that is created from the illusion that is seen before the physical vehichle that is the hologram of this reality. However once you factor in that time is meaningless in the real context of how ones spirit evolves then it is infinite and you realize you are more than the sum total of everything your mind could ever think about and hence there is no such thing as thinking too far, its a limited belief of the mind.
    Time is not a construct of the mind but an observance of life spans. Everything has a life span. We grouped time, but life spans and opportunities, window frames, still exist beyond our willing them to fall into our expectations.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so

I'm still keeping my options open about what I'm going to do tonight.
    I=76%, N=77%, T=79%, P=77%; or
    I=68%, N=84%, T=68%, P=89% (Comprehensive Report)
    Enneagram 9w1 so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Time is not a construct of the mind but of observance of life spans. Everything has a life span. We grouped time, but life spans and opportunities, window frames, still exist beyond our willing them to fall into our expectations.
    Then let them fall out of expectations. Then one changes the point of reference that life span as an observance means to be physical. When one let goes observance and the mental construct that there is a finite finality paralyses that we live to die then you are changing towards action, that we are alive to live.

As the action font that creates the momentum to live as freely as you can for then time stops limiting doors of perception. Rather the illusion of different futures changes to living in the present and acting without hesitation on absolutly all there is to act upon without being bogged down in thinking about windows of opportunity, you are there living thoes windows of opportunity rather than thinking about them, measuring them, expecting them.

Words, this too is thinking, when one stops thinking does action and instinct start taking place. No longer constrained by thinking too far or too little ahead.

The Break Out

It depends what we identify with. We may identify with ourself, our family, our tribe, our State or our Civilization.

If we identify with ourself, we can look ahead four score years and ten, but if we identify with our civilization, we can look ahead three thousand years.

And our happiness depends on identifying with something larger than ourself.

Unfortunately we are coming to the end of literate individuality and so most of us are imprisoned within ourselves.

So how can we break out of the prison of ourself?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think distantly into the future. I think alot what my life will be like when I'm really old and I think about what life on the planet will be like long after I'm dead. I know I can't do anything about the latter but I still think about it alot and am concerned for the state of mankind.

I make some long range plans, like making sure I have enough saved up for retirement. I also have enough foresight to know that what I do in the present could have long range implications. If I eat healthy now, I'm more likely to be healthy in the future.

On the other hand, I know that some planning is futile because there are too many variables and things come up. The further ahead you plan, the more likely it is that the plans will change anyway or your priorities will change so the trip you were thinking of taking or the house you were planning on buying may not end up being as much interest to you. For most things, I don't plan more than a few weeks or months ahead.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne