• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apology preferences?

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Regret Vs Remorse thread got me thinking about the different ways we apologize for things and the possible problems that can occur in communication if we value different things in an apology and I recalled reading about apology preferences before, so I tracked down the site that had that information.

The question essentialy is what is important to you in an apology.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/learn-the-languages/the-five-languages-of-apology/

You can either read the list and see what fits for you, or take a test they have on the site.

As several of you have pointed out, the test questions and answers might not be for everyone, but looking at the descriptions one or two of those will probably stand out as preferences

These were my test results.

10 - Expressing Regret
03 - Accepting Responsibility
03 - Making Restitution
03 - Genuinely Repenting
01 - Requesting Forgiveness

For myself, I want an apology (either when I'm giving or receiving) to acknowledge the emotional distress that was caused, express regret over the incident, and to express desire to talk about it in more detail to figure out why it happened, why it caused a problem, and what approach is best for moving forward.

I'm curious if there is a correlation between MBTI or Enneagram type and apology preferences. One thing I am very interested in is how important (or un-important) the concept of forgiveness is compared to how religious one is - are the words and concepts of forgiveness universal, or are they specific to Christianity.

I consider myself to be "spiritual but not religious". I tend to appreciate it when someone asks for forgiveness, but I see the concept as a Christian one, so I'm not as comfortable actually asking for forgiveness unless I know I'm apologizing to someone that is a Christian (I'm a bit concerned that using those words might offend atheists and non-christian religions), but I think I may be making a false association there, so I want to know if others see it as similar to me or not.

Last edited:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
5 Expressing Regret
4 Accepting Responsibility
5 Making Restitution
3 Genuinely Repenting
3 Requesting Forgiveness

I admit that I do not like it when someone says "can you forgive me?" that is my least favorite. I can forgive, absolutely.. but it is only when I feel forgiveness, and that can take time to process for me. I don't like being put on the spot to make a decision with my feelings. Something like "Do you think we can move past this?" following a regret expression is usually better. Also not big on the whole repenting thing, it's not like I want someone to suffer or berate themself long term.. i just want to be validated, see the other party take responsibility and provide restitution if it is possible. These are the ways I apologize as well.

mikamickmac

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so
I had to give up only 5 questions in - I felt like vomiting! All the options were so "F"ing soppy!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Questions and answers were sort of in need of um.... getting used to but.... anyways

5 Expressing Regret
6 Accepting Responsibility
4 Making Restitution
4 Genuinely Repenting
1 Requesting Forgiveness

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very interesting thread.

3 Expressing Regret
3 Accepting Responsibility
8 Making Restitution
6 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

If it's not a close relationship, I'm fine with just an "I'm sorry". That will be good enough but in my close relationships, like what we evaluated in the questionnaire I seem to value action more. Not for the sake of making someone suffer or pay but because I'm not crazy about being repeatedly offended. Restitution (if they offer it) to me shows that they really mean it and I mean something to them, and this is especially true if it's not an easy fix restitution.

I realize that forgiveness takes more time for some people though. I have a friend who I wronged some years ago and afterwards, I wanted her forgiveness so I tried several of these methods with her but she wouldn't forgive me at the time, even though we were still friends. It took time, a couple of years, of just me being around her and on good behavior (lol) to gain forgiveness and trust again. So yeah for some people it just takes time and not continuing to be offensive. That sort of thing works for me too if you have wronged me and I have pretty much given up on you. Over time I will forgive and forget if you are a sweetheart and not offensive. I'm telling all my secrets now. :doh:

wolfy

awsm
I think I just cycle accepting responsibility and requesting forgiveness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not really surprising...

10 Expressing Regret
10 Accepting Responsibility
0 Making Restitution
0 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

I think what matters the most to me is the violator:

- Being able to understand and articulate what the violation was / how and why I was hurt by it.
- Taking ownership of the behavior.

It shows understanding, empathy, and learning. It also matches up with my sense of independence; I don't really need them to do something for ME to make the situation better, I want them to improve as an individual and become better, and both of those actions are part of the inner work an individual does and within the scope of an individual's control, rather than necessarily needing my participation.

I had to give up only 5 questions in - I felt like vomiting! All the options were so "F"ing soppy!

I doubt they're sorry. :rofl1:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of people don't care about or want apologies at all if they have been offended. It's no coincidence that these also happen to be the same people who have trouble apologizing to others for offending them. I'd be curious what people like this do want instead.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your Scores
4 Expressing Regret
5 Accepting Responsibility
4 Making Restitution
7 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

Genuinely Repenting

You have chosen Genuinely Repenting as your primary Apology Language. You are most able to forgive someone who offends you when they are willing to change in order to avoid hurting you again.

Fairly even on the others but as you can see i require no Hail Mary's from those who have sinned against me.
:smile:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Expressing Regret 6

Accepting Responsibility 3

Making Restitution 7

Genuinely Repenting 4

Requesting Forgiveness 0

I almost gave up midway through because the options kind of all sounded alike to me. The only one that's not as preferable is just requesting forgiveness because there isn't as much of a sense that the person truly sees the implications of their behavior and that the behavior will be avoided in the future.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First and foremost, I want the person to learn from the experience so it does not happen again. I also appreciate if he/she repairs any damage. To do either of these things, though, he/she must accept responsibility for the actions. I suppose this means I prefer accepting responsibility followed by making restitution and genuinely repenting (and doing better in future). For me, it is all about actions, not words.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a lot of people don't care about or want apologies at all if they have been offended. It's no coincidence that these also happen to be the same people who have trouble apologizing to others for offending them. I'd be curious what people like this do want instead.
I probably fit into this category. It is not so much that I don't want an apology, but rather that I seldom feel offended. I just don't take many things personally. The flip side of this is that if I offend someone else, I might not realize it at all, and therefore have no idea that I should apologize. So, your observation is correct, but perhaps with different reasons underlying it.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How can you possibly have 3 internal processes, almost tied in importance, as main cognitive functions?

Not surprising....I just need an apology, that's all:

7 Expressing Regret
4 Accepting Responsibility
4 Making Restitution
2 Genuinely Repenting
3 Requesting Forgiveness

The Regret Vs Remorse thread got me thinking about the different ways we apologize for things and the possible problems that can occur in communication if we value different things in an apology and I recalled reading about apology preferences before, so I tracked down the site that had that information.

The question essentialy is what is important to you in an apology.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/learn-the-languages/the-five-languages-of-apology/

You can either read the list and see what fits for you, or take a test they have on the site. These were my test results.

10 - Expressing Regret
03 - Accepting Responsibility
03 - Making Restitution
03 - Genuinely Repenting
01 - Requesting Forgiveness

For myself, I want an apology (either when I'm giving or receiving) to acknowledge the emotional distress that was caused, express regret over the incident, and to express desire to talk about it in more detail to figure out why it happened, why it caused a problem, and what approach is best for moving forward.

I'm curious if there is a correlation between MBTI or Enneagram type and apology preferences. One thing I am very interested in is how important (or un-important) the concept of forgiveness is compared to how religious one is - are the words and concepts of forgiveness universal, or are they specific to Christianity.

I consider myself to be "spiritual but not religious". I tend to appreciate it when someone asks for forgiveness, but I see the concept as a Christian one, so I'm not as comfortable actually asking for forgiveness unless I know I'm apologizing to someone that is a Christian (I'm a bit concerned that using those words might offend atheists and non-christian religions), but I think I may be making a false association there, so I want to know if others see it as similar to me or not.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting.

In thinking about the op, I realize I don't really care at all if someone apologizes to me for something they've done. I think there are several reasons for this. One is that I rarely dwell on others' actions regarding me with judgment; I'm usually completely consumed in how to balance or deal with the aftermath of whatever they've done or said and keep myself centered than to expend energy judging what they've done. And if I don't judge what they've done, then there is very little for me to think about in the needing-an-apology realm, I guess. Another reason is that I know it doesn't matter much in the scheme of things if someone does apologize. I mean, how is that going to help me in my quest for finding my way or my truth?

I think an apology is almost completely for the apologizer, versus the apologizee.....and therefore it matters not so much how someone apologizes, but that they do it sincerely, because it can be very healing for them, and also bring an intensity and catharsis to relating with another person.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think an apology is almost completely for the apologizer, versus the apologizee.....and therefore it matters not so much how someone apologizes, but that they do it sincerely, because it can be very healing for them, and also bring an intensity and catharsis to relating with another person.
This is a very good point. When answering the test questions, I found I preferred apologies in which the person offers to correct the situation or prevent its recurrence, but almost as often I looked for those that indicated the person had learned from the experience. They are related in that it is easier to fix something if you understand it, but this also ties to the healing you mention.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a very good point. When answering the test questions, I found I preferred apologies in which the person offers to correct the situation or prevent its recurrence, but almost as often I looked for those that indicated the person had learned from the experience. They are related in that it is easier to fix something if you understand it, but this also ties to the healing you mention.

Thanks.

And I care about their healing for them as a person, as in it's all about them feeling better, hopefully, in the end. You speak more about their healing almost within a bigger context, as it implies when you say it will 'prevent a recurrence,' as I'd expect from an INTJ, looking at a person as part of a system. Whereas I more look at a person as an individual.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah, I'm a bit like that. I just prefer if the relationship becomes "happy" as before, that's fine from my POV, unless something absolutely major happened.