• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apology preferences?

N

NPcomplete

4 Expressing Regret
3 Accepting Responsibility
4 Making Restitution
7 Genuinely Repenting
2 Requesting Forgiveness

I'm not very surprised. In those situations, I prefer knowing that the problem will be solved and that the person will try to rectify their behaviour. Apologies can be meaningful if they are meant but they can be empty as well, and there's no real way for me to know except to have faith in the person. However, if the wound is still very fresh, I won't have much faith (if at all) in that person. A desire to change can (perhaps) make me reconsider my stance.

But, really, it depends.

redacted

13 Expressing Regret
7 Accepting Responsibility
0 Making Restitution
0 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm one of those that don't like excessive apologizing. I'm also not likely to notice when I need to apologize either. I have no problem admitting that I was wrong and trying to correct things.

Acceptance of responsibility, genuinely repenting, making restitution...those all point to one thing to me. Mistake? Acknowledge it and then fix it. I need to know what went wrong, express and have an understanding of why it upset me, and why so it can be prevented in the future. That is vital to me. Especially if a little forethought would have prevented the upset in the first place.

I never liked the forgiveness thing. I think a moderate amount of people hear forgiveness and think it means "free pass".

Silveresque

5 Expressing Regret
10 Accepting Responsibility
3 Making Restitution
2 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
8 Expressing Regret
5 Making Restitution
0 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
7 Expressing Regret
8 Accepting Responsibility
1 Making Restitution
4 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness

For me, accepting responsibility is HUGE. I don't want to hear excuses. An excuse just angers me more. It's one thing to give an explanation that there was no intentional bad motive, but it's another to place blame on something/someone else as if you had no control over it. I also like to hear regret expressed so they acknowledge the hurt they have caused (it shows they understand the weight of their actions) & to hear that they will try their best not to repeat the mistake. I know someone is truly sorry if they express that they don't intend to do it again and stick to that promise as best they can. Otherwise, "I'm sorry" just rings hollow.

I generally don't need acts of restitution or to hear a request for forgiveness. I assume a sincere apology & promise to not do it again is asking forgiveness.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
5 Expressing Regret
4 Accepting Responsibility
2 Making Restitution
6 Genuinely Repenting
3 Requesting Forgiveness

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
10 Expressing Regret
2 Making Restitution
0 Genuinely Repenting
1 Requesting Forgiveness

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4 Expressing Regret
9 Accepting Responsibility
3 Making Restitution
3 Genuinely Repenting
1 Requesting Forgiveness
I appreciate it when people take responsibility for thier actions. I've had so many people in my life who blame others, that it makes me really sit up and notice if some one owns up to thier part.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
holy shit... the wording on those apologies was so dreadful that I would just assume anyone saying any of those things was mocking me :laugh: they sound like a therapist wrote them!

if you want to say that you're sorry to me you'd better prove it... words are cheap and I tend to doubt that anyone's sorry who doesn't actually put some effort into setting things right. If I'm actually sorry I go out of my way to correct the situation to prove that I'm sorry action-wise :)

needless to say, words of affirmation are NOT one of my love languages either :cheese:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lmao, I stopped after a few questions because those answers are ridiculously over the top. Unless you killed my pet or burned my house down, any of those are way way way overkill. What on earth is wrong with a genuinely felt "I'm sorry - I won't do it again"?! If it doesn't count as an apology unless you're flogging yourself, I guess I never apologize....but that seems pretty stupid to me.

T

ThatGirl

2 Expressing Regret
5 Accepting Responsibility
8 Making Restitution
5 Genuinely Repenting
0 Requesting Forgiveness