User Tag List

12 Last

Default My theory of personality types

Hello, My name is Kimani Shorter and I'm promoting my theory of personality types. This is a summary of my theory and the three types I came up with.

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id1.html
    http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id2.html
    http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id3.html
    http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id4.html

It reconfigures some of Carl Jung's archetypes and some of the types found on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) into something new.

garbage

I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. Are you familiar with Oldham's typology and the Enneagram? They're similar in that respect.

You may draw some inspiration from Enneagram types 4, 5, and 6 for The Designer; 1, 2, 3, and 6 (again) for The Professional; and maybe 3, 4, 8, and 9 for The Charmer.

Your groupings of the archetypes seem sound as well, though it may be worth determining whether the three groups are comprehensive--this I'm not sure of either way; I just pose the question--but then I do like the simplicity of having just three groups.

In addition, it would be great if you could throw in some positive aspects of the Charmer so that a balanced picture is presented and so that people can more readily identify with it (nobody really wants to identify with, say, the Big Five's primary Neurotic!)--but only do so if you think it would match well with reality and with your vision for your theory.

Nothing to say but positive stuff at this point; I'd love to see this thing fleshed out.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

not enough explanation or description of anything so far for me to adequately express an opinion... sorry
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. Are you familiar with Oldham's typology and the Enneagram? They're similar in that respect.

You may draw some inspiration from Enneagram types 4, 5, and 6 for The Designer; 1, 2, 3, and 6 (again) for The Professional; and maybe 3, 4, 8, and 9 for The Charmer.

Your groupings of the archetypes seem sound as well, though it may be worth determining whether the three groups are comprehensive--this I'm not sure of either way; I just pose the question--but then I do like the simplicity of having just three groups.

In addition, it would be great if you could throw in some positive aspects of the Charmer so that a balanced picture is presented and so that people can more readily identify with it (nobody really wants to identify with, say, the Big Five's primary Neurotic!)--but only do so if you think it would match well with reality and with your vision for your theory.

Nothing to say but positive stuff at this point; I'd love to see this thing fleshed out.
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I just recently discovered the Enneagram. It's interesting to see how it correlates with my concept.
    I kind of thought I already had written about The Charmer with a positive slant by saying they were good as seducing and enticing.

I'm honestly not sure how much I could flesh out this theory anymore. My hope is that it can be used in the same way / same capacity that the Myers Briggs theory is used. That's my ambition.

I have recently added a career section to my site. Suitable careers for each type.

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id2.html
    http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id3.html
    http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id4.html

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not sure. You see personality type is more of an intangible measurement that has to do with the soul or spirit it's more meta-physical in nature. While Autism is more of a biological factor. What is a point against this in my book is their are people that share some traits of multiple of these classes. Notable Autism is not a respecter of personality. though some people might show Autistic traits. I know many "Professionals." that are Autistic. The MBTI explains how certain types overlap. And that we all do and use the same functions but in a different order of importance and priority. We are all feelers, thinkers, intuitives, and sensors. But some people uses and focus on two of those functions taking dominion over the others and that's type, but they have the ability to modify certain behaviors, you seem to be using a system that identifies people based off external behavior and that is the worst thing you can do. It's basically stereotyping people with fancy terms. Two people can adapt the same behavior for different reasons. And likewise some people can go down different roads with the same agenda's. BTW some people have already liked certain social disorders to certain people. With the MBTI. Autism is not a psychological disorder but a biological handicap. I should know. I am Autistic.
    The HOW and WHY is EVERYTHING! Look not at behaviors nor even beliefs, but the ideas behind HOW and WHY they are held. Only then are your judgements......somewhat acceptable.

Tools reify

Quote Originally Posted by Kimani View Post
    Hello, My name is Kimani Shorter and I'm promoting my theory of personality types.
    The problem with personality types is that they treat the person as a thing.

They treat the person as a thing to be manipulated rather than related with.

This is perfect for those who lack spontaneity and need a tool to manipulate us.

Personality types is a manipulative tool, as is D/s, as is astrology.

We know this is true because the unspontaneous keep telling us that personality types, or astrology, or D/s, are tools which are not good or bad in themselves but only in how we use them.

And this is precisely what these tools are for - to use us as things - in other words, to reify us.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem with personality types is that they treat the person as a thing.

They treat the person as a thing to be manipulated rather than related with.

This is perfect for those who lack spontaneity and need a tool to manipulate us.

Personality types is a manipulative tool, as is D/s, as is astrology.

We know this is true because the unspontaneous keep telling us that personality types, or astrology, or D/s, are tools which are not good or bad in themselves but only in how we use them.

And this is precisely what these tools are for - to use us as things - in other words, to reify us.
    I disagree. They can be used for that. But the people that do so either misuse the concept or don't understand it as do the critics of it. BTW There are plenty of "unspontaneous" people who distrust personality type. So congratulations you have just labels all people that have a similar belief as being of the same lot. In short you are guilty of the thing you are arguing. The difference between MBTI and other systems. Is other systems tell more skills and what an individual is capable of. While MBTI states everyone can use all the functions but what makes type is which ones people trust more.(Everyone can use logic and has emotions but obviously people will trust one over the other without necessarily negating it. etc.)
    The HOW and WHY is EVERYTHING! Look not at behaviors nor even beliefs, but the ideas behind HOW and WHY they are held. Only then are your judgements......somewhat acceptable.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can see where you're going with this, and I would probably be a Charmer, but the problem with your theory is that it's much too simplistic, a person can be both bipolar and histrionic, and someone can be both narcissistic and co-dependent. So how do you explain this?

And what about people who have managed their way for the most part around their neuroses?

I think it really is much too simple to be a coherent personality theory, and I suggest that you may look into PTypes, which is a more elaborate theory related to Jungian neurosis, but more similar to Keirsey-esque archetypes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post

Yeah I noticed that all Charmers sounded a little too much like extroverted sociopaths.