• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My theory of personality types

Kimani

G

garbage

I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. Are you familiar with Oldham's typology and the Enneagram? They're similar in that respect.

You may draw some inspiration from Enneagram types 4, 5, and 6 for The Designer; 1, 2, 3, and 6 (again) for The Professional; and maybe 3, 4, 8, and 9 for The Charmer.

Your groupings of the archetypes seem sound as well, though it may be worth determining whether the three groups are comprehensive--this I'm not sure of either way; I just pose the question--but then I do like the simplicity of having just three groups.

In addition, it would be great if you could throw in some positive aspects of the Charmer so that a balanced picture is presented and so that people can more readily identify with it (nobody really wants to identify with, say, the Big Five's primary Neurotic!)--but only do so if you think it would match well with reality and with your vision for your theory.

Nothing to say but positive stuff at this point; I'd love to see this thing fleshed out.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
not enough explanation or description of anything so far for me to adequately express an opinion... sorry :)

Kimani

I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. Are you familiar with Oldham's typology and the Enneagram? They're similar in that respect.

You may draw some inspiration from Enneagram types 4, 5, and 6 for The Designer; 1, 2, 3, and 6 (again) for The Professional; and maybe 3, 4, 8, and 9 for The Charmer.

Your groupings of the archetypes seem sound as well, though it may be worth determining whether the three groups are comprehensive--this I'm not sure of either way; I just pose the question--but then I do like the simplicity of having just three groups.

In addition, it would be great if you could throw in some positive aspects of the Charmer so that a balanced picture is presented and so that people can more readily identify with it (nobody really wants to identify with, say, the Big Five's primary Neurotic!)--but only do so if you think it would match well with reality and with your vision for your theory.

Nothing to say but positive stuff at this point; I'd love to see this thing fleshed out.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I just recently discovered the Enneagram. It's interesting to see how it correlates with my concept.
I kind of thought I already had written about The Charmer with a positive slant by saying they were good as seducing and enticing.

I'm honestly not sure how much I could flesh out this theory anymore. My hope is that it can be used in the same way / same capacity that the Myers Briggs theory is used. That's my ambition.

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure. You see personality type is more of an intangible measurement that has to do with the soul or spirit it's more meta-physical in nature. While Autism is more of a biological factor. What is a point against this in my book is their are people that share some traits of multiple of these classes. Notable Autism is not a respecter of personality. though some people might show Autistic traits. I know many "Professionals." that are Autistic. The MBTI explains how certain types overlap. And that we all do and use the same functions but in a different order of importance and priority. We are all feelers, thinkers, intuitives, and sensors. But some people uses and focus on two of those functions taking dominion over the others and that's type, but they have the ability to modify certain behaviors, you seem to be using a system that identifies people based off external behavior and that is the worst thing you can do. It's basically stereotyping people with fancy terms. Two people can adapt the same behavior for different reasons. And likewise some people can go down different roads with the same agenda's. BTW some people have already liked certain social disorders to certain people. With the MBTI. Autism is not a psychological disorder but a biological handicap. I should know. I am Autistic.

Mole

Permabanned
Tools reify

Hello, My name is Kimani Shorter and I'm promoting my theory of personality types.

The problem with personality types is that they treat the person as a thing.

They treat the person as a thing to be manipulated rather than related with.

This is perfect for those who lack spontaneity and need a tool to manipulate us.

Personality types is a manipulative tool, as is D/s, as is astrology.

We know this is true because the unspontaneous keep telling us that personality types, or astrology, or D/s, are tools which are not good or bad in themselves but only in how we use them.

And this is precisely what these tools are for - to use us as things - in other words, to reify us.

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
The problem with personality types is that they treat the person as a thing.

They treat the person as a thing to be manipulated rather than related with.

This is perfect for those who lack spontaneity and need a tool to manipulate us.

Personality types is a manipulative tool, as is D/s, as is astrology.

We know this is true because the unspontaneous keep telling us that personality types, or astrology, or D/s, are tools which are not good or bad in themselves but only in how we use them.

And this is precisely what these tools are for - to use us as things - in other words, to reify us.

I disagree. They can be used for that. But the people that do so either misuse the concept or don't understand it as do the critics of it. BTW There are plenty of "unspontaneous" people who distrust personality type. So congratulations you have just labels all people that have a similar belief as being of the same lot. In short you are guilty of the thing you are arguing. The difference between MBTI and other systems. Is other systems tell more skills and what an individual is capable of. While MBTI states everyone can use all the functions but what makes type is which ones people trust more.(Everyone can use logic and has emotions but obviously people will trust one over the other without necessarily negating it. etc.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can see where you're going with this, and I would probably be a Charmer, but the problem with your theory is that it's much too simplistic, a person can be both bipolar and histrionic, and someone can be both narcissistic and co-dependent. So how do you explain this?

And what about people who have managed their way for the most part around their neuroses?

I think it really is much too simple to be a coherent personality theory, and I suggest that you may look into PTypes, which is a more elaborate theory related to Jungian neurosis, but more similar to Keirsey-esque archetypes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah I noticed that all Charmers sounded a little too much like extroverted sociopaths.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your definition of archetype:

Archetypes are primal symbols of people. These same archetypes are building blocks in determining personalities. Many individual archetypes are found in people at the same time / over a lifetime. These archetypes separately show fragments of people's unconscious minds. These archetypes combined display a large part or portion of the unconscious mind. When organized into groups of two they spell out psychological conditions. What seems random at first becomes very familiar when placed in a different context.

doesent really fit well with Jungian view:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-5922.1955.00033.x/abstract said:
Archetypes are understood to be the typical forms in which all experience is patterned, organized, and progressively integrated, and hence cannot be adequately described apart from the "matter" in which they are observed. Jung's differentiation of personal unconscious from collective unconscious and of reductive from synthetic analysis, is not taken to imply an absolute distinction, but to refer to different modes of description and treatment of psychological material, which special reference to either "personal" history or to "collective" forms. Individual archetypal themes are clear in certain abnormal states and particular phases of development as, for example, in some phantasies of psychotics and young children, but are most easily served in mythology. Hence, Jung has used the study of myths to amplify, understand and modify developmental processes in patients. It is important to remember, however that the myth is a complex image and is not synonymous with the archetype, by which is meant the form and not the particular contents of the image. This form is most usefully conceived, not as a static pattern, but as a progressive theme and it is the tendency to develop experience in universally typical forms which is considered to be innate.

Archetypes doesent show fragments of the persons unconscious mind, they are much wider things, not only about person, but about all people. They show fragments of different stages of evolution of the human psyche, which manifest in people in varying stages of life. Archetypes are not about normal personality, but show in personalities of psychologically disturbed people and temporarily affect the behavior(not personality) of people in different stages of life. For example if a woman has a child, the archetype of mother will(hopefully) come into surface and affect the behavior of the woman, but its something temporary(until the child becomes adult, starts his own family etc). But if this archetype still manifests itself when it should normally wear off, its a sign of unhealthy person(mother tries to nurture an adult child and not let go of this behavior, even the "child" is already in his 40's with his own family, kids etc and doesent really need to be treated like a child anymore).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Archetypes doesent show fragments of the persons unconscious mind, they are much wider things, not only about person, but about all people. They show fragments of different stages of evolution of the human psyche, which manifest in people in varying stages of life. Archetypes are not about normal personality, but show in personalities of psychologically disturbed people and temporarily affect the behavior(not personality) of people in different stages of life.

You contradict yourself a bit in that post.
Archetypes form part of what Jung called the "collective unconscious" which manifests within the personal unconscious, but which he suggests are hard-wired into our psyche (i.e. environment-independent). They are perfectly normal, when adaptive.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You contradict yourself a bit in that post.
Archetypes form part of what Jung called the "collective unconscious" which manifests within the personal unconscious, but which he suggests are hard-wired into our psyche (i.e. environment-independent). They are perfectly normal, when adaptive.

I said that they are normal in appropriate stages of life and abnormal if its pathological and doesent fit the environment and used example of abnormal vs normal mother archetype. Also personality is not about things like mother is nurturing because her kid needs nurturing. Or if you are referring to archetypes not showing fragments of the personal unconscious, im not contradicting myself with that one either, because personal unconscious = complexes and even tho archetypes manifest through complexes, what they show is evolutionary reactions to environment, not personal reactions to environment. And even tho archetypes come through complexes, its not the complex that guides the archetype, its the archetype that guides behavior trough complexes.

Do explain if you still think im contradicting myself.

Kimani

http://mythsdreamssymbols.com/dreamsarchetypes.html

"Finally archetypes are the primal symbols of aspects of our own nature. By identifying with one of more archetypes we can identify our own nature."

http://www.collegetermpapers.com/viewpaper/1304143301.shtml

"The Primal Symbols of Man's Nature"

I'm not the only one who sees archetypes as being primal symbols of people

Also I'm not applying archetypes to normal people in my theory. I know archetypes are not about "normal personality." My theory doesn't deal with people without disorders. People that would be considered normal.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
http://mythsdreamssymbols.com/dreamsarchetypes.html

"Finally archetypes are the primal symbols of aspects of our own nature. By identifying with one of more archetypes we can identify our own nature."

http://www.collegetermpapers.com/viewpaper/1304143301.shtml

"The Primal Symbols of Man's Nature"

I'm not the only one who sees archetypes as being primal symbols of people

Also I'm not applying archetypes to normal people in my theory. I know archetypes are not about "normal personality." My theory doesn't deal with people without disorders. People that would be considered normal.

archetypes are the structures of collective unconscious and they produce symbols, not the symbol itself, like you are saying. first quote talks archetypes as being symbols of aspects of our nature, not symbols of a person. second quote is just the title of some school work and again not saying that archetype is a symbol of a person. also your definition even about the word symbol seems off.

you really should study this bit more and use some proper sources.

Kimani

So you don't think I'm using archetypes in an appropriate way? Iv'e been promoting my concept for eight years and you are the first person to ever disagree with me about the way in which I am defining archetypes and using them.

The first quote also talks about people identifying with one or more archetypes which is what my concept is trying to get across as well.

Kimani

The Charmers are all going to be extraverted types. They are entjs, estjs and estps. The Professionals are enfjs, esfjs, esfps, isfps and isfjs. The Designers are all introverted types.The Designers are intps istjs, intjs and istps.