User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Regret vs. remorse

Is there a difference between remorse and regret?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Maybe one is when you wished you wouldn't have done something and feel bad about it.... and the other is when you feel bad about what you did but still would have done the same thing??? I made those up and don't know if they apply and if they do which is which.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

From my understanding remorse implies a feeling of guilt/wrongdoing whereas regret doesn't (necessarily).

(e.g. you might feel regret about taking the wrong college course and remorse about kicking the neighbour's cat, or something)

Also I think remorse might be a subcategory of regret. I don't think you would feel remorse without regret, but you could definitely feel regret without remorse.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I agree with Randomnity's interpretation. I see remorse as having some ethical underpinnings. Like you did something that worthy of feeling shame. You did something that harmed someone physically or emotionally. Regret to me doesn't have the same ethical issue. Its more a case that you made a decision that personally didn't suit you as well but there was nothing wrong with that decision from a purely ethical standpoint. For example, I regret taking job A over job B but I don't feel remorse about it. I just happened to find that job B would have personally suited me better than job A.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hmm, maybe Randomnity right, I hadn't ever thought of it. The word remorse gives me the the feeling something not yet internally resolved, while regret is something unadressable. But that may just be purely internal associations (remorse->morose, regret->forget).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Regret -> You wish you would have done something you didn't.

Remorse -> You wish you wouldn't have done something you did.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I agree with Randomnity's interpretation. I see remorse as having some ethical underpinnings. Like you did something that worthy of feeling shame.
    Yes. To me, regret involves little if any emotion. It is simply the recognition that one made a poor choice, which could be based on purely objective grounds. Remorse suggests one feels bad about it, hence the ethical or moral implications.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

without looking up the definitions and just going off the common meaning i would attach i would say
    remorse - feeling it was wrong
    regret- thinking it was wrong

but i am entirely prepared to be wrong, lol.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes. To me, regret involves little if any emotion. It is simply the recognition that one made a poor choice, which could be based on purely objective grounds. Remorse suggests one feels bad about it, hence the ethical or moral implications.
    Very interesting question and responses. To me, regret can be a deeply felt emotion, so when I tell someone I regret something, I feel like I'm sharing how I feel emotionally about it, but if its common for others to not associate emotion with regret, thats a pretty big communication gap (I want others to know its something I feel, not an intellectual conclusion) - perhaps I am using regret when I should be using remorse, but regret can be either a verb or a noun and remorse can only be used as a noun (as far as I know) - it does not sound right to say "I really remorse not having done that".
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

After thinking about this more, I can see where regret might include emotion, but at most emotion directed at oneself. This might be disappointment in oneself, frustration, even wistfulness over an opportunity lost through a bad decision.

Remorse seems much more externally directed, and probably applies more to situations in which one's bad decision affected others rather than (just) oneself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...