User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default A sudden disregard for the rules

I was always a rule following child, but when I hit age 40 or so, I suddenly stopped caring about all the little rules.

I still follow the big ones, but totally disregard the small annoying ones, like "no dogs" or "park closes at dusk," "only 6 items in the changing room," things like that.

The rules suddenly seem so confining and useless. It's such a sense of freedom not to feel confined by them, although I still do worry about someone yelling at me.

Has anyone else had a sudden change like this? Anyone change from a rule breaker to a rule follower?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I became more of a rule follower when I had children because you really do have to set an example. I've always weighed thing in my mind anyway. Is it worth it? Do I want to ride this train? Yes/No. Generally speaking, I don't have a great deal of regard when it comes to rules for the sake of rules. There has to be a very concrete reason behind them. I never worry about someone yelling at me. That makes whatever they are trying to get across instantly ineffective and they're likely to get a verbal beat down right back at them on principal.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I was always a rule following child, but when I hit age 40 or so, I suddenly stopped caring about all the little rules.

I still follow the big ones, but totally disregard the small annoying ones, like "no dogs" or "park closes at dusk," "only 6 items in the changing room," things like that. The rules suddenly seem so confining and useless. It's such a sense of freedom not to feel confined by them, although I still do worry about someone yelling at me.

Has anyone else had a sudden change like this? Anyone change from a rule breaker to a rule follower?
    I can't say it was "overnight" but probably over a few years' period I went from feeling obligated to follow rules to breaking what I consider to be trivial ones if I have a reason to do so. Not sure why I waited so long to reach that point!

@ceecee: Yes, the children thing does have some sort of impact. I remember when my son was young and started commenting on when I was driving over the speed limit by only 5mph. I wanted to bean him. But in general, there was pressure to follow rules more as to not confuse them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can't say it was "overnight" but probably over a few years' period I went from feeling obligated to follow rules to breaking what I consider to be trivial ones if I have a reason to do so. Not sure why I waited so long to reach that point!

@ceecee: Yes, the children thing does have some sort of impact. I remember when my son was young and started commenting on when I was driving over the speed limit by only 5mph. I wanted to bean him. But in general, there was pressure to follow rules more as to not confuse them.
    My oldest wasn't so bad but when my youngest started drivers ed I wanted to tape his mouth shut. You rolled that stop sign. You are speeding. You aren't allowed to do that! This did sort of come back to bite me in the ass when he did his final driving test. The little towns here have strict 25 mph limits and little town cops with nothing else to do. I always use the cruise control when driving there, I advised him to do it and he used it during his test. The instructor told me using the cruise wasn't allowed afterwards. I was like wtf? Would you like to license a safe teenage driver or one that follows the rules?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

I've always had a bit of a rebellious streak where it came to rules, I didn't exactly do anything that could get in me in jail, I just bent the rules, I don't know where it comes from
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Like driving on the wrong side of the road with one lane either way?

thinking of you

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    Like driving on the wrong side of the road with one lane either way?
    if theres no traffic yes otherwise that's just stupid
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    if theres no traffic yesa
    I'm swervin' all night. Too much lean in my cup.

thinking of you

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've never really cared for the rules . . . ever. If I disagree with a rule, whether it be a societal norm, peer expectation, minor rule, or formal law, then I will break it with no remorse. Although I do fear and loathe any form of punishment taken against me, so I'll only subvert the rules when I know I can get away with it.