• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A sudden disregard for the rules

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I was always a rule following child, but when I hit age 40 or so, I suddenly stopped caring about all the little rules.

I still follow the big ones, but totally disregard the small annoying ones, like "no dogs" or "park closes at dusk," "only 6 items in the changing room," things like that.

The rules suddenly seem so confining and useless. It's such a sense of freedom not to feel confined by them, although I still do worry about someone yelling at me.

Has anyone else had a sudden change like this? Anyone change from a rule breaker to a rule follower?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I became more of a rule follower when I had children because you really do have to set an example. I've always weighed thing in my mind anyway. Is it worth it? Do I want to ride this train? Yes/No. Generally speaking, I don't have a great deal of regard when it comes to rules for the sake of rules. There has to be a very concrete reason behind them. I never worry about someone yelling at me. That makes whatever they are trying to get across instantly ineffective and they're likely to get a verbal beat down right back at them on principal.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was always a rule following child, but when I hit age 40 or so, I suddenly stopped caring about all the little rules.

I still follow the big ones, but totally disregard the small annoying ones, like "no dogs" or "park closes at dusk," "only 6 items in the changing room," things like that. The rules suddenly seem so confining and useless. It's such a sense of freedom not to feel confined by them, although I still do worry about someone yelling at me.

Has anyone else had a sudden change like this? Anyone change from a rule breaker to a rule follower?

I can't say it was "overnight" but probably over a few years' period I went from feeling obligated to follow rules to breaking what I consider to be trivial ones if I have a reason to do so. Not sure why I waited so long to reach that point!

[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]: Yes, the children thing does have some sort of impact. I remember when my son was young and started commenting on when I was driving over the speed limit by only 5mph. I wanted to bean him. But in general, there was pressure to follow rules more as to not confuse them.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I can't say it was "overnight" but probably over a few years' period I went from feeling obligated to follow rules to breaking what I consider to be trivial ones if I have a reason to do so. Not sure why I waited so long to reach that point!

[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]: Yes, the children thing does have some sort of impact. I remember when my son was young and started commenting on when I was driving over the speed limit by only 5mph. I wanted to bean him. But in general, there was pressure to follow rules more as to not confuse them.

My oldest wasn't so bad but when my youngest started drivers ed I wanted to tape his mouth shut. You rolled that stop sign. You are speeding. You aren't allowed to do that! This did sort of come back to bite me in the ass when he did his final driving test. The little towns here have strict 25 mph limits and little town cops with nothing else to do. I always use the cruise control when driving there, I advised him to do it and he used it during his test. The instructor told me using the cruise wasn't allowed afterwards. I was like wtf? Would you like to license a safe teenage driver or one that follows the rules?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've always had a bit of a rebellious streak where it came to rules, I didn't exactly do anything that could get in me in jail, I just bent the rules, I don't know where it comes from

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Like driving on the wrong side of the road with one lane either way?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never really cared for the rules . . . ever. If I disagree with a rule, whether it be a societal norm, peer expectation, minor rule, or formal law, then I will break it with no remorse. Although I do fear and loathe any form of punishment taken against me, so I'll only subvert the rules when I know I can get away with it.