• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Analyzing humor - Which of these jokes tickle your funny bone and why?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

A

Anew Leaf

I didn't really find any of them funny. A lot of the delivery seemed awkward to me. :shrug:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
2 was prolly the only one that would make me laugh IRL, and It could easily be ruined by the detail it goes into. (Trying too hard). 14 if it was said dry and matter of fact. The rest could be cute, except #1. I like crude but in a different way.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Gonna jump on the "not my style of humour" train. Not a lot of one liners do it for me (Anthony Jeselnik is a comedian with some fairly funny dark one liners, but even though I find his more skillful and funny than these in general, he's not one of my favorites, and a lot of his humour is bolstered by the character he creates).

Rather, I like longer bits or examinations into things that poke, prod and analyze an individual idea. I like satire. Sometimes I like absurdism, if done right. I often like dry or slightly uncomfortable humour. Jokes that are crude, violent or gross for no other reason than to be those things don't amuse me. Puns also rarely tickle me, unless they are very clever or subtle.

Essentially, these jokes are probably too alike to be very useful if you're trying to look at humour on any meaningful level. It feels like you're analyzing taste in music, but only presenting jazz pieces to the people you are surveying. And while some people may disagree, I believe humour and sense of humour is every bit as diverse as the world of music.

yupitsme

MBTI Type
intx
All these jokes work well live and about three times as well with extroverts since introverts are less willing to let things go, getting lost in the analysis of words and concepts at play in the joke. One one liner after another is tiresome live. Longer bits work much better live in a standup situation.

Introverts seem to be more apt to

1. Take offense at vulgarity even though numerous studies show over 50% of commercial humor has some level of explicit sexual overtones or sexual innuendo including that on prime time television.

2. Get caught up in examining grammatical errors however intentional, despite its necessary employ in humor

3. Get caught up in examing logical flaws despite their necessity for humor mechanisms

4. Get caught up in examing the joke mechanics

5. Intros tend to jump up on the soapbox more often for dark humor than extroverts do when criticizing humor even though several introverts love dark humor even to the point of enjoying dark humor exclusively.

Extroverts tend to give a pass on all matters 1 thru 5 above more often for the sake of a laugh.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All these jokes work well live and about three times as well with extroverts since introverts are less willing to let things go, getting lost in the analysis of words and concepts at play in the joke. One one liner after another is tiresome live. Longer bits work much better live in a standup situation.

Introverts seem to be more apt to

1. Take offense at vulgarity even though numerous studies show over 50% of commercial humor has some level of explicit sexual overtones or sexual innuendo including that on prime time television.

2. Get caught up in examining grammatical errors however intentional, despite its necessary employ in humor

3. Get caught up in examing logical flaws despite their necessity for humor mechanisms

4. Get caught up in examing the joke mechanics

5. Intros tend to jump up on the soapbox more often for dark humor than extroverts do when criticizing humor even though several introverts love dark humor even to the point of enjoying dark humor exclusively.

Extroverts tend to give a pass on all matters 1 thru 5 above more often for the sake of a laugh.
Is that summarizing the thread or from elsewhere? If the former, I'm not sure why you would say that. Here is a far more accurate analysis:

15 introverts and 7 extroverts replied. (if my memory is correct)

Of those, 4/15 introverts and 1/7 extroverts hated them all.
5/15 introverts and 6/7 extroverts expressed very faint amusement overall or only liked 1-2
4/15 introverts and 0/7 extroverts expressed mild amusement or liked 3-5
2/15 introverts and 0/7 extroverts liked more than half of the jokes

People tended to either dislike or mildly like all the jokes as a group, probably because the jokes are all extremely similar. They either appeal to someone or (mostly) they don't.

yupitsme

MBTI Type
intx
Is that summarizing the thread or from elsewhere? If the former, I'm not sure why you would say that. Here is a far more accurate analysis:

5/15 introverts and 6/7 extroverts expressed very faint amusement overall or only liked 1-2

People tended to either dislike or mildly like all the jokes as a group, probably because the jokes are all extremely similar. They either appeal to someone or (mostly) they don't.

Not here no. My comedy group has resarched. Thank you for compiling those. I will be sharing then with the group.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very distasteful, immature and actually revolting for the most part.
5 was ok-ish in a heard it many times over already sense.
2 appealed to my darker side just a smidgen... but yah on the whole
big crass pants!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't find most of them funny but I did laugh at #10 and 14. I wonder what that says about me.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going to do an analysis on these jokes, but I got bored. Most of them are too Andrew Dice Clay for me, and the others are very Catskills stand up. I'm not a huge fan of most stand-up, or just stand alone jokes. I tend to find more humor in story based situations.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I thoroughly enjoy a good laugh abut only managed a chuckle at No 6.The rest did nothing for me.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I gave an honest opinion. You are being insulting. Now i too shall be insulting. Fuck Off.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That seemed to be a more objective analysis, without reading too much into the data. (It's easier to say who thought the humor was funny, vs making up reasons as to why or why not they liked it as the other analysis did.)

Note that while I did state some of the jokes were funny, it has no bearing on whether I prefer this type of humor vs other types, or whether I thought an actual comedy routine should have more variety. I considered each joke on its own terms and why it might work or not work on its own. (I also can laugh at many different styles of humor besides this.)