User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Misery loves company

Are you miserable? And do you love company? Why or why not?

Feel free to make comments about yourself or others you observe/interact with or just about the topic of 'misery loves company' in general (even if your happy).

All Natural! All Good!

I have observed that misery likes isolation, which then feeds the misery --> isolation --> misery --> isolation --> ... cycle, even though the misery was initially caused by something else.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Riva

Misery to the best of my knowledge is always internally focused as opposed to motivations which is externally focused.

So one could fall easily out of motivation if one fails to realize what one dreams of.

Misery will not fall out of misery as misery like I said is internal.

One will not feel not-miserable if one fails to realize the dreams (or misery).

And misery therefore do not need company and needs only misery to feel miserable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think miserable people, the ones who seem to enjoy it, want as many people as possible to feel as bad as they do. Maybe that is what makes them happy, I don't know. I'm not miserable and I like company but not a lot and not for long amounts of time.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I think miserable people, the ones who seem to enjoy it, want as many people as possible to feel as bad as they do. Maybe that is what makes them happy, I don't know. I'm not miserable and I like company but not a lot and not for long amounts of time.
    The bolded is what inspired me to make this thread. It seems like people like this don't want anyone to be happy if they aren't happy, but I question if that's what's really going on? Like perhaps they're just defending and protecting their belief system that brings them comfort instead, which has the side effect of making others miserable. Maybe it's not deliberate.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    The bolded is what inspired me to make this thread. It seems like people like this don't want anyone to be happy if they aren't happy, but I question if that's what's really going on? Like perhaps they're just defending and protecting their belief system that brings them comfort instead, which has the side effect of making others miserable. Maybe it's not deliberate.
    They're feeling victimized, and they want you to sit in the hole they're in, instead of trying to climb out. Whether they don'tknow any better, or are completely aware and doing it anyway, the result is the same. It's a very toxic attitude. I treat it like an attempted hijacking.
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have a very hard time believing it's not deliberate.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    I have observed that misery likes isolation, which then feeds the misery --> isolation --> misery --> isolation --> ... cycle, even though the misery was initially caused by something else.
    This is definitely my personal misery cycle. I think public misery is an entirely different can of worms and less dangerous.

Clarification: I should clarify that by 'less dangerous', I mean less dangerous to themselves. Their toxic impact on others is probably not helpful.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i do think it's deliberate sometimes, but i also think there's a significant component of it that's just a subconscious attempt at self-preservation. i think that often people who are miserable don't know how to escape their misery, and will pull people to them unconsciously as lifelines to try to ease the misery - at the very least they can dump some of their emotional burden on the other person. it may also result from a feeling of "why don't you see things are as bad as i see that they are?", and trying to get others to see that too, so then people will want to change whatever is so bad.

personally i know that when i am feeling down to the point of miserable i feel very lost, and i search for someone stable to cling to, who can help me get beyond the misery. unfortunately that means dragging them somewhat into my misery first.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I can't see what possible satisfication could be had, say for example, by watching an excited child become crestfallen. It breaks my heart a tiny bit. I can't imagine what it would be like for a parent to see that. Yet I've seen a couple of my friends parent's to do to thier grand children over something they've set their heart on. I'm talking small kids. I don't care how crappy your life is or has been, how can you crush a wee kid like that.
    I hope I never become bitter like that. I do isolate myself when unhappy, when I feel ready though, I like to be round happy people. Maybe it's Fi thang and empathy thing, happy people make me feel happy. Why spoil it by sucking the oxygen out of the room with meaness.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]