• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Free counseling: Worth it or not?

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am the full-time care giver for my mom, who had a stroke several years ago. Some organizations, like Catholic Services here, offer free counseling to care givers and I'm considering signing up for various reasons. I've gone to free counseling before (Catholic Services in WA and counseling specifically for care givers offered by the county I was living in) and ended up being disappointed. Is it worth checking it out here in NJ or are the people who do free counseling generally not up to par?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm leery of counseling done through a religious organization, personally. I'm afraid that they'll be too much of a religious bent. However if you find free counseling that's not religious, and they do exist I'd say go for it. You're taking on a lot right now, and it might be nice to have a sounding board the very least

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard to say whether the free counseling program you are describing is up to snuff or not. Not all religious-affiliated counselors are going to take an overtly religious bent either; I'm aware of some such counselors in my area who take a more practical approach to situations rather than imposing a religious template upon things.

I guess, if you can't talk to people who have already used this program, I would look at it this way: If you have no other reasonable options, this service is free, and you can simply choose not to go back if you decide it's not for you. IOW, the only risk is losing a session or two of your time while you figure out whether it is helpful to you or not.

Good luck with this. I can imagine some of the issues associated with long-time caregiving for a sick relative, and I hope you can get what you need. I think the support would be very helpful.

A

Anew Leaf

I am the full-time care giver for my mom, who had a stroke several years ago. Some organizations, like Catholic Services here, offer free counseling to care givers and I'm considering signing up for various reasons. I've gone to free counseling before (Catholic Services in WA and counseling specifically for care givers offered by the county I was living in) and ended up being disappointed. Is it worth checking it out here in NJ or are the people who do free counseling generally not up to par?

:hug: I've gone through a similar caregiving situation myself. I say, you have nothing to lose in trying this service out. Make sure to do things for yourself to keep your fire going. It's far too easy to get into the mentality of "I gotta do this, gotta do this, gotta do this" and not stop and rest for yourself.

My PM inbox is always open if you need someone to listen.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
agreed with above... no harm in trying it out before judging it... sometimes just having someone to talk to who will just listen is incredibly helpful :)

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION], and [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]. :) You're right, no harm done trying a session or two.

I'll have to investigate further, but I think Catholic Services and Jewish Services are the only free counseling options in my area. When I went to Catholic Services in WA, the counselor was a lay person (not a nun) and there wasn't a religious bent to it. I was mostly disappointed by the fact that the counselor told me that she couldn't get her brother to help her when she was taking care of her mom. If the communication skills she said she would teach me didn't even work for her, why bother?

[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION], thanks for the words of experience. I try my best to take care of myself, but you probably can relate to how difficult that can be.

Mole

Permabanned
I did six weeks of free counseling in Canberra and found it wonderful for the six weeks and with long term good effects.

It seems to me there are two involved in counseling, and I think it is helpful to know what we want and say so from the first session.

From the counselors point of view, it is important to establish rapport with the client.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the best councilors I had was through a free service. She set such a high standard, I'm kinda disappointed by paid ones. She really did help me make peace with a situation. I'd be in a completely different place without her. I'm not saying my life is all roses....but it's mine.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5388]CrystalViolet[/MENTION] it's good to hear that you both had very positive experiences. That lets me know that there are good free counselors out there.

And, Victor, I do have a general idea of what I want out of counseling at this time, which is different than what I wanted back in WA. I'm working on refining it so it's more specific.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm not saying my life is all roses....but it's mine.

Yes, having our own life is worth all the change.

And as I live near the Rose Gardens of Parliament House, I sometimes steal a rose to wear in my buttonhole.

Did I say 'steal', I meant purloin.

Yes, I purloin a rose to wear in the buttonhole of my life.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:hug: it must be a lot of work to be a fulltime caregiver.

I was mostly disappointed by the fact that the counselor told me that she couldn't get her brother to help her when she was taking care of her mom. If the communication skills she said she would teach me didn't even work for her, why bother?

maybe this was more rhetorical on your part, but honestly i think because that's no guarantee they won't help you in some way. all situations are different and even if the skills didn't work in her situation, that doesn't mean they may not be key to effecting life-altering positive change in your situation. or, at the very least, give you a little extra smoothness on a bumpy path.

essentially i agree with all who have said there seems to be little harm in giving it a shot. good luck :)

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:hug: it must be a lot of work to be a fulltime caregiver.

maybe this was more rhetorical on your part, but honestly i think because that's no guarantee they won't help you in some way. all situations are different and even if the skills didn't work in her situation, that doesn't mean they may not be key to effecting life-altering positive change in your situation. or, at the very least, give you a little extra smoothness on a bumpy path.

essentially i agree with all who have said there seems to be little harm in giving it a shot. good luck :)

Thanks, skylights. There was more to it than what I wrote about. I didn't want to go into all the details. But I agree, it's worth another try. :)

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know anything about free counseling services so I can't really give much thought on that, sorry... However I will have to agree with CrystalViolet. Paid ones kind of suck, in my opinion. I've been to two different ones, and they didn't help at all. Waste of time and money, I don't think they even really paid attention, all they wanted was for the hour to finish so they could end the session. Also, both prescribed different meds on the first session lol.