• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you tell if you're depressed vs just the glums

Silveresque

I just want to clarify that depression is an illness--not just a mood. It's the result of a chemical imbalance in your brain, and it requires treatment. Unlike "the glums", you can't just snap out of it, just like you can't snap out of being ill. But people tend to use the word to mean being in a low mood, rather than as a clinical term, so I think not everyone realizes that it's not the same thing.

Anyways, if you're just feeling down but not depressed, you should be able to simply change your attitude and bounce back. But if you're depressed (as in clinically depressed), that's just not possible. You can try all you want to not be sad, but the best you can do is suppress it temporarily or distract yourself, and your probably won't be able to experience much, if any actual happiness.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know all about whar depression actually is I was trying to figure out if I had relapsed trust me I know

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
When I looked up the definition of depression - imbalanced brain chemicals was not mentioned. I think that depression and just feeling glum can really blur lines.. I think it is SO individual infact, that setting specific standards can almost be dangerous.

For instance, someone could potentially be subjected to a poor quality of life and external events long enough to develop depression without having any detectable chem imbalance. I also think that someone could have a chem imbalance but find optimal external events to stave off the affects of imbalance.

Honestly, I buy into mind over matter quite a bit.
I think its possible for some chem imalances to correct themselves when one makes enough lifestyle and perception changes. This last statement however, is NOT meant as an umbrella term. Not meant to say that if everyone does this they can self-correct.

But I definately have a tremendous mistrust in meds, and a tremendous trust in the body being a very intelligent and complex organism that is generally capeable of self correction and invested in its own survival. It takes work. That work may be changing jobs, seeing a therapist and learning new thought processes, moving to a warmer climate with excessive vitamin d, learning to love and accept self even when a very damaging history has occured. It might require changing ones eating, sleeping, exorcise and perspective. Again, this does not engulf EVERYONE.. as there are certainly cases where people do all of these things and make minimal progress. A good friend of mine is bi-polar and a perfect example of this.

Why do some people get dealt such a difficult hand in life? Ofcourse I don't know. All I know is that really emphasizing the good over the bad and learning to value even the smallest things can help. There is always something to appreciate. It might be the night sky, it might be a new day, it might be the fact that you are alive and breathing and despite your pain and struggle you are allowed to observe all the wonders of this amazing, heart breaking world.

But only you will ever know what "okay" for you is and isn't. I would suggest (typically) that you change up as many things as you can. The body holds more knowledge than the greatest philosophers. Listen to it. Eat well. Sleep well. Take pleasures in even the most insignificant acts. Seek connection and meaning in everything. Try your hardest. Tell yourself that trying your hardest IS the best.. it IS the ultimate. Do not be swayed by the ego constructs and "standards".. even if every person around you is.

It seems that many people (not necessarily you purpchic) give in to meds way too fast. They may not want to do what it takes to fix it. THey may not want to push outside their comfort levels, seek self awareness, push their energies into these very key things that society has completely ignored. THey may be so unsure of themselves that they will sell out what their own being tells them to some person with a little "accredited" plaque on their wall. Someone that isn't and never will be as invested in you as YOU are.

Try to do everything you possibly can for youself first. I know how hard this can be when depressed. When you can't even find the energy to think, feel, function, let alone be "happy". The first step is in trusting. Trust that there is a purpose. Trust that the possibilities are unlimited, that there is an answer somewhere.. it is just not viewable at your current position. Change your position and then look. Change your perspective again, look again. I absolutely believe it is there.. for every one.