User Tag List

First 123 Last

Ginkgo

Power void of ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Power void of ethics.
    Spot on, BUT

1 of the definitions of cruelty is: 1. deliberate infliction of pain or suffering

If a persons lacks ethics or their motives are devoid of intention to harm, can their actions be considered cruel, or just carelessness with negative backlash?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

First of all cruelty isnt some inherited concept, no concept is inherited. Cruelty is behavior, this behavior naturally needs suitable external conditions and internal reactions. These internal reactions are built in.

Now with mentally healthy people there are ways to control this external behavior, even if there is an appropriate internal reaction to external conditions.

When it comes to cruelty on tv, videogames, news, neighbour torturing frog in the back yard or what ever, the instincts to act violently in suitable conditions becomes stronger(degree of this vries on individuals ofc), so the treshold on external conditions that would trigger violent/cruel behavior gets lower.

Naturally this also works when someone feels so bad inside that he has to externalize these feelings. I think with these cases its more about learning acceptable(or admirable) ways to externalize this anxiety from tv, videogames, news etc.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    this behavior naturally needs suitable external conditions
    Exactly.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Cruelty is just displacement or projection. Unless someone is a sociopath, if they're cruel, you can be sure they're in pain and don't have the emotional resources to handle it.

Don't worry, people get better. Teenagers are the most cruel age group in my opinion.
    I agree with a lot of this.

From what I understand cruelty results from feelings of powerlessness because it is a tangible way to demonstrate one's power over another. Cruelty is best learned if during development the individual is the victim of an oppressor, but also has access to someone more vulnerable they can project those personal feelings of powerless onto in order to regain a sense of personal control and domination. If the individual is bullied or violated and can then practice bullying and violating someone more vulnerable, they will learn cruelty to be an effective coping mechanism for their inner vulnerability.

There is also an uneasy relationship between strong feelings of judgment/punishment and cruelty. Because it can grow out of a feeling of victimization and powerlessness, inflicting the suffering onto the perceived perpetrator is a way to punish the person, or a proxy for the person, who initiated the violations.

Cruelty requires an arrogance that justifies its actions and it takes a great deal of empathy and observation to realize just how much self-justification and judgment is involved. When one starts to see the world through so many perspectives, the whole concept of punishment begins to look more and more suspect, even though there are times it seems right, it is rarely an objective way of thinking, but rather based on anger and the distorted perceptions that emotion is capable of producing.

Even as a thrill as the OP stated, inflicting cruelty is overpowering someone else's will and in every case is demonstrating domination and so the thrill by nature must be connected to feeling powerful. Even in that seemingly shallow motivation one must ask why the person has such a need to demonstrate power?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I agree with a lot of this.

From what I understand cruelty results from feelings of powerlessness because it is a tangible way to demonstrate one's power over another. Cruelty is best learned if during development the individual is the victim of an oppressor, but also has access to someone more vulnerable they can project those personal feelings of powerless onto in order to regain a sense of personal control and domination. If the individual is bullied or violated and can then practice bullying and violating someone more vulnerable, they will learn cruelty to be an effective coping mechanism for their inner vulnerability.

There is also an uneasy relationship between strong feelings of judgment/punishment and cruelty. Because it can grow out of a feeling of victimization and powerlessness, inflicting the suffering onto the perceived perpetrator is a way to punish the person, or a proxy for the person, who initiated the violations.

Cruelty requires an arrogance that justifies its actions and it takes a great deal of empathy and observation to realize just how much self-justification and judgment is involved. When one starts to see the world through so many perspectives, the whole concept of punishment begins to look more and more suspect, even though there are times it seems right, it is rarely an objective way of thinking, but rather based on anger and the distorted perceptions that emotion is capable of producing.

Even as a thrill as the OP stated, inflicting cruelty is overpowering someone else's will and in every case is demonstrating domination and so the thrill by nature must be connected to feeling powerful. Even in that seemingly shallow motivation one must ask why the person has such a need to demonstrate power?
    Today we demonstate power by invading foreign countries and practising torture. And as I write we are preparing for a new exercise of power in the South China Sea.

Power is the great aphrodisiac. And power over foreigners, the poor, women in the bordello-without-walls, blacks on death row, and children, turns us on.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I was born with the inability to deliberatly inflict pain onto others. Dunno if it was upbringing as well but I always liked it the most when there was harmony, fairness and laughter in a group. I am willing to sacrifice a great deal of myself for that, even up to my life.

I tho on the other side am able to have much darker thoughts than for instance my gf. She usually is shocked by my mind plotting for all eventualities , having a pretty keen insight into the darkest corners of the human soul; not making any difference between friend or foe but always assuming the worst from the first second on towards anyone.

I often asked myself the question what I would have done in WWII and who I would have been. Would I have been resistance or a highly decorated nazi general ? In essence I see both possibilities for me ..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    IDK sx/sp
    Socionics
    IDK

Everyone...you've come up with some interesting stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    If it's "fine if it's in fiction" then how is cruelty made "cool" by "ultra-violent television?"

I think cruelty is facilitated mostly by its institutionalization.
    I mean its fine because in fiction it isn't really happening...and some kids are influenced by cruelty that they see and they instantly think its fine if they do they same thing.
    “There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised” – Anton Lavey

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think cruelty mostly stems from 2 things - one is anger. The anger makes the person act out to hurt others. The others is a lack of empathy. I imagine some perpetrators do not have the biological capacity to understand other people's feelings, and therefore they are cruel without completely understanding what they are doing.