• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people want to drag you down to their incompetence?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
When I was in school, there was always this pressure from my peers not to do too well, not to "shine" in any way. Then when I started my first jobs, there was pressure not to work too hard or too well.

Why are people like that? If you don't want to make an effort, why drag down the people who do?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It takes far less effort than raising themselves up to your level of competence, and the contrast makes them look bad.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
When I was in school, there was always this pressure from my peers not to do too well, not to "shine" in any way. Then when I started my first jobs, there was pressure not to work too hard or too well.

Why are people like that? If you don't want to make an effort, why drag down the people who do?

People are afraid of being failures so they don't try. When they see people around them trying and succeeding it only reminds them that they are too [X, Y, Z] to even try, it reminds them of their fears, and it seems like an affront to them. Also, some people feel entitled and have a chip on their shoulders. They don't want to earn anything, they feel everything is beneath them, and they feel they should be recognized on the spot.

You should surround yourself with positive people. It's not about a fixation on appearances or succeeding but rather having a positive 'can do' attitude and healthy self-esteem and respect for oneself and others.

The thing about misery is that while it loves company, as soon as a miserable person comes into a windfall they are peace the hell out. People are only miserable because they see no other alternatives, not because there is anything inherently enjoyable or beneficial to being miserable.

If you feel negative people are trying to influence you, politely nod and keep on walking. They can only drag you down as much as you let them.