User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Death Anxiety

Default Death Anxiety

Is it possible to move from Death Anxiety to a life affirming death awareness?

This is the title, or a close approximation, of the title of a book by an author called Firestone which I found recently, I cant afford the book and it seems over priced so I thought I'd start a discussion on the topic instead. What do you think? Is it possible?

I don't have death anxiety.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is it possible to move from Death Anxiety to a life affirming death awareness?

This is the title, or a close approximation, of the title of a book by an author called Firestone which I found recently, I cant afford the book and it seems over priced so I thought I'd start a discussion on the topic instead. What do you think? Is it possible?
    Yes. I am "death aware" vs. death anxiety. I think religion has a big role in this. I am an atheist ftr.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Define those terms.

Or is it just anxiety of dying and awareness of that you have died?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Yes. I am "death aware" vs. death anxiety. I think religion has a big role in this. I am an atheist ftr.
    I'm curious, how does the absence of religion in your case alleviate any possible death anxiety?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

eh... death happens... if I die I don't think I'll care about it in the least, so why bother worrying about it now?

if you think about it rationally, death really isn't that big of a deal
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I'm curious, how does the absence of religion in your case alleviate any possible death anxiety?
    Well since relgion was not a big part of my upbringing (resists urge to quote Adam Corolla) I didn't develop this fascination with what happens when I die, i.e. hell/heaven. Death just is. It is this "fear" that I think a lot of theistic people share and strive to alleviate by creating/buying into the concept of an afterlife.

@ Lark, yes it is possible.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Contemplate ceasing to exist. That always ties my mind in knots.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    eh... death happens... if I die I don't think I'll care about it in the least, so why bother worrying about it now?

if you think about it rationally, death really isn't that big of a deal
    I know I'm just a little speck in the universe and that earth is just one planet in the vast universe. If you look at it that way, death isn't a big deal. Yet I can't help feeling death anxiety. I think about it several times a day. Most of the time I'm able to set the thoughts aside and do what needs to be done and enjoy the moment but I still have the thoughts enter my mind more than I'd like. I know that assuming that I live until life expectancy, I have the majority of my life yet to live. Yet when I think about what I have actually done and learned as opposed to what I want to do and learn, I just don't see how I can do it all in the alloted lifetime or even close. I'll barely scratch the surface. And I find that thought very unsettling.

Maybe as I get older, I'll have a different outlook and some of the things won't matter so much. Maybe if I live long enough, I'll get bored with life. Yet, there's so much that I can't imagine ever getting tired of. Such as my hobbies, good food, good music, etc.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Anew Leaf

I've seen death, and it doesn't scare me.

What scares me is what happens to cause my death. Ie, the final two minutes. (burning in a house fire, car wreck, or in sleep.)