• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Death Anxiety

Usehername

On a mission
Yeah, this. I don't understand being afraid of death. I do understand being afraid of dying horribly.

x2 Those few minutes would be categorized for me as horrific living, cause it happens when you're alive.

I guess I get being afraid for dependent loved ones, but not the concept of death itself.

Mole

Permabanned
To die, to sleep, perchance to dream

But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?

"To die, to sleep—
No more—and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'tis a consummation(70)
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep—
To sleep—perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause—there's the respect(75)
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of disprized love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns(80)
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death(85)
The undiscover'd country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?"

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yet, there's so much that I can't imagine ever getting tired of. Such as my hobbies, good food, good music, etc.
That is the best defense against nihilism because lets face it, nihilism is THE BORE.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have death anxiety, [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
...In a way, it's kind of liberating to accept your eventual demise. I think it's harder to risk your life and yourself if you think you have a chance of survival; when you accept that you are mortal and eventually will die, well, then it frees you to try whatever you want, since you can't save yourself anyway in the long run. All you can do is make your life worth living.
Agreed.

Lark

Do you have death anxiety, [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]?

I'm really not sure, I'm pretty stoic about a lot of things in life and especially about things which are potentially not within my control anyway but I do wonder sometimes about what I'm doing with my life and I've read that this can be considered death anxiety, I have no fear for or about or involving an afterlife which I think or know some people have and experience as death anxiety.

Most recently, interestingly, I read Hans Kung's What I believe, which has a section specifically considering meaning in life, he suggests that where work once formed much of what provided meaning in life (after doubts about God and divine plans arose), that space was now being filled with "experience" or "experiences". What he wrote about people chasing fufilment and not being satisfied and constantly suspecting they where missing out or winding up envying others experience when it was/is experience they couldnt or wouldnt be expected to envy, like for instance cosmetic or amputation fixations, had become part of life and spoiled it for many. He's a theologian but I think that is as good as any social commentator or psychologist can provide.

Finally, I know that this amounts to life anxieties rather than death anxieties, I do sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes I am troubled at the prospect seperation from dead family and friends will be permanent or that God has no plans for a consciousness lasting beyond this life, that death will be terrifying, horrible and final. I try to divert myself to other things when this happens.

Little_Sticks

This may seem like a riddle or a schizophrenic rambling, but I don't know how else to say this and either you get it or you don't, I suppose:

It is an illusion to think that death is without birth. For there to be birth, there must also be death; to create something (a)new, something must also end. Life is change and a universe without change remains in a pitch black limbo. Life illuminates the universe out of darkness by filling it with meaning. You are the light of the universe; you are also then more than your self, but part of that universe you help bring alive. The universe loves life because life presents itself with a life of its own. What anxiety is there to be had in the concept of death for someone that knows they are more than themself and knows, matter-of-factly, that their death is not really an end?

ESFP

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Yes, I always try to write history, so my name will go on living after my death.

M_Kirch

Think of how you would feel if you've been stuck on an island since you were a child and have never seen death on human terms. And then suddenly you feel death coming - and you die. You have lived your life unaware of death, and you still go through it (yes, I believe there is heaven and hell).
Death anxiety is a product of a decision and choice on how you deal with on the matter of death.

crayons

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it's possible to be less afraid with death when you talk to others about it in a positive way and have some experience with it.

I wonder how to get from apathy around death to an awareness of it and a desire to make each day before death count. I've personally know people (particularly older) that aren't afraid of death but they've developed a sort of apathy like 'oh well I'll be dead, too bad I'll just do whatever until then'. I'm sort of this stage myself, being death aware but more active seems like it'd be a nicer way to live.

wildflower

i've never had death anxiety. when i was young it didn't occur to me to think about death and since i've known where i'm going since 17 due to my faith it just isn't a worry. dying, now that could be something to worry about, but why bother really?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Is it possible to move from Death Anxiety to a life affirming death awareness?

This is the title, or a close approximation, of the title of a book by an author called Firestone which I found recently, I cant afford the book and it seems over priced so I thought I'd start a discussion on the topic instead. What do you think? Is it possible?

Seems like the natural next step to me.

Sort of like if you are afraid of heights, you go to the tallest building and get used to it. Then you go skydiving to conquer it - pretty soon you are going skydiving every weekend because you came to love it and now it empowers you.

Sort of like you being too fat and being scared to go in public. So you finally go look in mirror and then, with conviction, start tolling at the gym everyday while being aware that people are looking at you and judging you. Then in 6 months, you've shed 100lbs and now you can't wait to go to the gym because you are now an expert at working out and because the gym is now your domain.

Similarly, I think you would live a much more empowered and fruitful life once you come to terms and and then overcome the fear of death. How? Hell if I know, I don't have it; I just live to make the most of my life.