User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Death Anxiety

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yeah, this. I don't understand being afraid of death. I do understand being afraid of dying horribly.
    x2 Those few minutes would be categorized for me as horrific living, cause it happens when you're alive.

I guess I get being afraid for dependent loved ones, but not the concept of death itself.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

To die, to sleep, perchance to dream

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?
    "To die, to sleep—
    No more—and by a sleep to say we end
    The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to. 'tis a consummation(70)
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep—
    To sleep—perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub!
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause—there's the respect(75)
    That makes calamity of so long life.
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of disprized love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office, and the spurns(80)
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death(85)
    The undiscover'd country, from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?"

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Yet, there's so much that I can't imagine ever getting tired of. Such as my hobbies, good food, good music, etc.
    That is the best defense against nihilism because lets face it, nihilism is THE BORE.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Do you have death anxiety, @Lark?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...In a way, it's kind of liberating to accept your eventual demise. I think it's harder to risk your life and yourself if you think you have a chance of survival; when you accept that you are mortal and eventually will die, well, then it frees you to try whatever you want, since you can't save yourself anyway in the long run. All you can do is make your life worth living.
    Agreed.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Do you have death anxiety, @Lark?
    I'm really not sure, I'm pretty stoic about a lot of things in life and especially about things which are potentially not within my control anyway but I do wonder sometimes about what I'm doing with my life and I've read that this can be considered death anxiety, I have no fear for or about or involving an afterlife which I think or know some people have and experience as death anxiety.

Most recently, interestingly, I read Hans Kung's What I believe, which has a section specifically considering meaning in life, he suggests that where work once formed much of what provided meaning in life (after doubts about God and divine plans arose), that space was now being filled with "experience" or "experiences". What he wrote about people chasing fufilment and not being satisfied and constantly suspecting they where missing out or winding up envying others experience when it was/is experience they couldnt or wouldnt be expected to envy, like for instance cosmetic or amputation fixations, had become part of life and spoiled it for many. He's a theologian but I think that is as good as any social commentator or psychologist can provide.

Finally, I know that this amounts to life anxieties rather than death anxieties, I do sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes I am troubled at the prospect seperation from dead family and friends will be permanent or that God has no plans for a consciousness lasting beyond this life, that death will be terrifying, horrible and final. I try to divert myself to other things when this happens.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It strikes me as odd that so many here claim to be unafraid of death. I assume it's a form of denial.
    You're not the only one. I've thought precisely the same thing. Even made a thread about it a while back.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

This may seem like a riddle or a schizophrenic rambling, but I don't know how else to say this and either you get it or you don't, I suppose:

It is an illusion to think that death is without birth. For there to be birth, there must also be death; to create something (a)new, something must also end. Life is change and a universe without change remains in a pitch black limbo. Life illuminates the universe out of darkness by filling it with meaning. You are the light of the universe; you are also then more than your self, but part of that universe you help bring alive. The universe loves life because life presents itself with a life of its own. What anxiety is there to be had in the concept of death for someone that knows they are more than themself and knows, matter-of-factly, that their death is not really an end?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ESFp

Yes, I always try to write history, so my name will go on living after my death.

Think of how you would feel if you've been stuck on an island since you were a child and have never seen death on human terms. And then suddenly you feel death coming - and you die. You have lived your life unaware of death, and you still go through it (yes, I believe there is heaven and hell).
    Death anxiety is a product of a decision and choice on how you deal with on the matter of death.