User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Death Anxiety

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Contemplate ceasing to exist. That always ties my mind in knots.
    You and everyone else.

I suspect religion would lose most of its appeal if it were not for that fact.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It strikes me as odd that so many here claim to be unafraid of death. I assume it's a form of denial.
    I was afraid of death off and on when I was younger, I'm not that old now, 41. But I just feel like it is inevitable now, you can't choose when you die and you do your best to stay alive. In the immoral words of Timothy Leary "I'm going to live forever, or die trying".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

L
    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Because your not suppose to just give up, there's always a fight even if your doctor thinks you're gonna die.

Who decided that you're not supposed to give up? Why is that way right and euthanasia wrong? Why put one's self and family through years of hardship? If someone decides they want to try to fight because they want to, fine. But no one should feel like they have to endure suffering just because society decides fighting was more noble than accepting death and going with peace and dignity. IMHO.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's just a fear of the end of self. If you think about it, you experience the end of self a number of times in your lifetime. No denial involved.
    yes, if we want to be conceptual about it, change is a form of death -- the old self dies and is cast aside so the new self can live. Either we're already dead, or we're constantly molting as we change and grow. Death is just another one of those large transitions, where no one is quite sure what happens next... although the body itself is dead.

I think learning to embrace change and let go of old selves in my life has helped me fear death less. i know the futility of holding onto things past their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Who decided that you're not supposed to give up? Why is that way right and euthanasia wrong? Why put one's self and family through years of hardship? If someone decides they want to try to fight because they want to, fine. But no one should feel like they have to endure suffering just because society decides fighting was more noble than accepting death and going with peace and dignity. IMHO.
    I agree. maybe for one person, the desire to fight is a choice of courage; for others, it might just be conformity or fear, or even just being directed by others. I don't think anyone is obligated to fight, I think it depends on the person and situation and which choice is more of a growing experience. But in the end, everyone still gets to choose, and to take responsibility for that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It strikes me as odd that so many here claim to be unafraid of death. I assume it's a form of denial.
    I think the problem people have with your post lies in that last point.
    Maybe for some it's a form of denial; for other, it's a form of acceptance.

Do I need to be more nuanced about it? I don't want to die, and yes, I can feel some fear over wondering "what happens next." But it is not a fear that is going to drive me; I am not going to prioritize "running from death" as the main goal of my life, nor sit around immobilized because one day I am going to die. So that kind of fear, I see as negligible; it's overridden by courage to live fully regardless of the inevitability of death.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yes, if we want to be conceptual about it, change is a form of death -- the old self dies and is cast aside so the new self can live. Either we're already dead, or we're constantly molting as we change and grow. Death is just another one of those large transitions, where no one is quite sure what happens next... although the body itself is dead.

I think learning to embrace change and let go of old selves in my life has helped me fear death less. i know the futility of holding onto things past their time.

I agree. maybe for one person, the desire to fight is a choice of courage; for others, it might just be conformity or fear, or even just being directed by others. I don't think anyone is obligated to fight, I think it depends on the person and situation and which choice is more of a growing experience. But in the end, everyone still gets to choose, and to take responsibility for that choice.
    Ah yes, I know my old self exists very little in what I am right now. That's what I meant.

But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?
    Heh. Yup, sleep is another one of those things -- every night we let go of ourselves. The miracle is that in the morning we're back. Amazing, huh? And I just got knocked out by an IV a few weeks ago -- i have to say, that's the weirdest to see the room swim for about 5 seconds, then suddenly it's hours later.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

L

You don't just go off killing yourself as soon as your doctor tells you you're going to die that's just ridiculous, if there is one thing you have is a fight to survive. I don't believe in giving up but if you do then that's your way of living and your choice. There are definatly alot of variables when it comes to euthanasia.

Anew Leaf

L

I agree with you. I'd rather get it over with if it was going to be pain dragging days with no hope.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    You don't just go off killing yourself as soon as your doctor tells you you're going to die that's just ridiculous,
    I agree. At least pay your medical bills first.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

I am more afraid of what happens after, not so much the actual event. I'd hate to die in my sleep and just sort of slip away into nothing and not put up a fight. It is weird because thinking about not existing fills me with anxiety. Well, not existing after I die ... for some reason thinking about not existing before I was born doesn't produce the same feeling. Just not being conscious is mind boggling to me.

I was never afraid of death or dying or even what came after when I was young because I was religious. But, I was extremely frustrated with my situation and didn't really seem to care because there were no consequences for dying (I mean the reward was heaven!) But now, I am much more afraid of it because there is so much I want to do, experience, and live for. Its funny how things change.